Are people becoming more sensitive?

I have my own personal view but I'd like some opinion. Basically is anything taken at face value anymore? Do we have to be more accurate in our word of things in this century?

E.g. Someone looks nice - "You look nice today" seems to translate as she/he wants me, instead of simply "you look nice"

Also is being polite nowadays misinterpreted as flirting?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people are becoming more sensitive! It's really weird! Not even with dating, these young people at work, if they're not doing their job properly and they're told how to do it some of them cry and take offense! It's so weird!

As for being nice to people, I do find a lot of people do take kindness as romantic interest. I find that a little frustrating because I feel I need to constantly watch what I say or else get accused of "leading on".

• As do I. Innocent acts like holding the door for anyone is now considered 'flirting' - just good manners in my book.

What Girls Said 3

• No people are simply less intolerant.

You don't know the day someone may have had, or what is running through their mind. Intensity is often mistaken for hostility.

Some people don't want comments. Some people don't want to be bothered.

I remember once, my next door neighbor (An old lady) was taking her puppies out for a walk, I stopped her and commented on how cute the new pups were and she told be to "Fck off and that she was busy".

A few days later she apologized, but she said a friend of hers had fell critically ill that day. She said it wasn't an excuse for her behavior, but that she didn't want to be bothered. IMO she didn't NEED to apologize to me, we all have reactions and bad days.

It is self absorbed to think someone owes you their positive attention simply because you gave them an unwanted compliment.

• No, there always have been and always will be mixed messages and crossed wires about these things.

I know I've been guilty of mistaking politeness for affection...but I've just as often mistaken romantic attention for politeness and civility,

quite often the same words from different people can mean different things.

• I totally agree.

Men seem to have become sensitive, and not approachable.

What Guys Said 2

• People just look for stuff to complain about nowadays

• It's the entitlement mentality. Everyone thinks they have a right to not be offended and it has become fashionable to take offense at every possible opportunity. It's all part and parcel of the liberal direction of modern society.