Shopping Discomfort

I mostly do online shopping because I feel very uncomfortable with in-store shopping.

I don't know maybe I am paranoid, but I'm not a very trendy fashionable girl, I'm kind of plain and conservative, so when I go to stores that sell trendy or expensive clothes or like the MAC store (which I will never go to again because I was traumatized), I feel like an unwanted customer. Not to mention I get tons of attitude from the employees. Not all time they'll act nasty,but sometimes they treat me like a child that doesn't know anything about makeup/clothes. I'm pretty sure part of the reason is me, because when I go into these stores I probably do look a little dorky, lost, and out of place.

Has anyone experienced this or is it just me? What do I do when I'm being treated this way, and what should I do to avoid this kind of treatment?

Most Helpful Girl

• i work in a trendy fashion place and I don't treat my customers with a different attitude. some girls do but the majority of the time, we just dress different and trendier because we are in the fashion industry.

before I worked anywhere like that, I didn't really care how I looked or at least I was average looking. I still shop in stores and I shop online. I think you shouldn't worry too much about that. there are tons of people who shop and as long as they look like they take care of themselves, there shouldn't be a big fuss over how you look.

if you feel out of place, sometimes reading a magazine devoted to make up/ clothes/ latest trends would help you out to see what you want. I always do that.

What Guys Said 3

• Know what you want and Demand it, lol, so they can't try to sell you anything or anything like that. If you were to walk in and say "I want this lip-gloss, Pronto!" you'd send a message, and when they try to say something else, you just act like "is that lip-gloss, I don't think so. . ." Hahaha, lol, that would be pretty funny but I don't actually advise that; I would advise to just tell the clerks as soon as they walk up to you that you "noticed somethings online and just wanted to check them out in person, so just getting an idea and if I have any questions I'll come get you."

• I am a typical guy so I hate going shopping anyways except maybe when I'm at an electronics store, but I always hate going to clothing stores and trying sh*t on.

What should you do to avoid that mistreatment? You should get the manager of the store and show the person behind the counter that s/he is just a salesbitch and you, as the customer, have more power than her/him as the monkey that sits behind a cash register pushing buttons or puts clothes on a hanger..if they mistreat you that is. They are $7 an hour employees, not the owner. Seriously, watch their face drop the minute you ask to speak to their manager, it's priceless...I've done it.

• I hate going shopping. I love the internet, the only problem is that you can't try cloths when you buy them on the net. I buy most other things on the net, except toiletries and food.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm not really big on shopping either. I always bring someone with me. For one thing, it's a good way to get input (which limits the help you need from employees). Plus, some stores are ridiculously overstocked and overwhelming, so having a sidekick helps you to find a starting point and cover more ground.

• Yeh I hate some of the workers in the designer shops over here. When I go in some look at me like I'm a piece of sh*t-they think they are better than the people who shop there which is very strange logic. If anything, they are there serving the customer so it should be the other way round. I think some are so dumb though and don't realise that at the end of the day they just work in a shop and should get the head out their bum. There is nothing you can do apart from stand tall and give them a dirty look back, it sounds immature but they bring you down to that level. Noone should be forced to avoid a store because they feel uncomfortable. I go in certain stores now just because I know how I'll get looked at so I look forward to spending money there. I don't even know why I get looked at like that because I don't look out of place. It's just the way their I think. I love shopping more than anything so I would never let anyone put me off like cows that they are. Although, internet shopping is better-more choice! Lol.

• The MAC girls where I live are really rude, don't worry about it. Making an effort before you go shopping can help with your confidence. Sometimes I find it helps to look at them properly and find a fault, they aren't perfect after all. If you are really nervous go with a confident friend and you can observe how your friend deals with these situations. Always appear busy but polite and keep conversation with them brief, as if you have somewhere to be. Speak up and always look them in the eye. If it gets to the point where they are actually insulting you, speak to the manager. It happens to everyone, even my friends that fit into that kind of enviroment have expierenced impolite assistants.

• I love to shopping online only. My favourite store is awesomeworld. co. uk :*

• i know how ya feel..i just hate it when people do that

• Sometimes I feel like that. I haven't had bad treatment in that way, but sometimes I feel like I could be a little out of touch. Even when I go shopping I'm like "Are my clothes OK? I don't wanna look off or something" because I'm around all these fashion conscious girls and it makes me feel intimidated.