Liquid vs. powder foundation (makeup)- how do they compare?

I have only ever used loose powder foundation (mostly bareMinerals). It was the first type of makeup I tried because it seemed easy to use and I just stuck with it. I've been using it for close to ten years now. However, lately I've been getting curious about liquid makeup. I have literally never used it, except concealer.

I have acne prone combination skin, so if I tried a liquid foundation, I would go for a balancing one- I've been looking at Origins "Stay Tuned" balancing face makeup. It seems like liquid foundation might provide better, longer lasting coverage than powder foundation. But it also seems like it would be harder to apply evenly and harder to match to my skin tone. Plus, I have heard that it is more likely to clog pores, which would be the last thing I need.

Have you tried both liquid and powder foundation? How do they compare? What would you recommend? What is your skin type and how has your skin reacted to each?

Thanks!

I'm not UNhappy with my foundation, but it's definitely not perfect. I've never tried anything else, so it's hard to know. That's what I'm dealing with I guess, I just don't know how they compare or what's best for my personal skin. I'm sure even powder foundations will clog pores to a certain extent, too, is the other thing. And there are liquid foundations that are meant for acne prone skin and that claim not to clog pores.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I have both. I feel like liquid you really need to spend the time to apply it evenly and carefully, whereas powder you can just run the sponge over your face and you're pretty much done. You can control the amount of stuff you put on your face easier with the powder by layering and stuff, but liquid not really. I also find blending a lot easier with powder. So as you can tell I definitely prefer powder lol. My skin type is combination with cystic acne so yeahhhh. No liquid for me because it makes my face feel ever grosser, no matter how "weightless" or "breathable" the liquid types claim to be.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• If you are happy with your foundation don't change it! Liquid foundation does clog up your pores and depending on which brand you use can cause outbreaks on the skin. I have pale skin with a red tint in areas so I find it very difficult to find a shade that matched and I use liquid foundation. The coverage is better with liquid but sometimes it can make acne stand out more

• i'm against both. that's why I rarely wear foundation. I'm really concerned about the pore-clogging of liquid foundation. I'm also worried about the harms of inhaling lots of talc.

• I think the liquid one would work better.

• I using mineral foundation on occasion and I definitely prefer it to liquid foundation. My face feels so heavy with liquid.