Do you think people get hired based on their looks in regular jobs?

In class, we used to learn how a larger amount of tall people get hired more often than short people. From your experiences and perspectives, do you think that's accuratly true? Do you think prettier people are more likely to get hired? Or do you think managers just care about their experiences?

Most Helpful Guy

• For regular jobs, I don't necessarily think people get hired BECAUSE they are good looking. I think they get hired because of what their good looks can bring. E.g. if you're a waitress or barmaid or something along those lines then I think you're more easily able to attract customers because you're attractive. When you can bring in more customers you're gaining more business in such a situation.

I think for a regular job there is some sort of balance between experience/qualifications and looks. E.g. going back to the waitress/barmaid position. Let's say you have 2 girls who are applying for that job. The first girl has 55% of the relevant experience but is an average looking girl. The second girl has 45% of the relevant experience but is attractive. The second girl is more likely to be hired because she has the looks to bring in the business and her experience level is not that much lower than the first girl.

On the other hand, if the first girl had 90% of the relevant experience she would be hired over the first girl because her experience is significantly better than the second girl. Now, that doesn't mean she would definitely get the job. Some managers (especially if men) are suckers for beautiful women. So it all depends on who's hiring too. It's also about who you know as well. I find these days it's easier to get a job if you have the right connections rather than applying for a job where you don't know anybody.

What Guys Said 4

• Depends on the job really. I'm short (5'6") but never had problems landing jobs in retail and restaurant. But obviously jobs like Hooters, they're going to hire attractive looking girls. Fitness clubs/gyms, they're going to hire people who are physically fit. Management jobs, they're going to hire people with degrees and experience. Height I don't think will make a huge impact unless it's something that requires you to be tall. Looks will definitely play a part in some jobs. Or of course you have those who will hire some people purely based on looks.

• Well it isn't all resume it's also physical appearance and personality as well. Nobody wants to hire a grouch or someone who makes everyone miserable. If two people had the same resume I think they would choose the better looking or taller one or more personable one. Pretty much whatever gives you an edge.

• Looks and race . There's laws against discrimination, but America has always did a piss poor job of enforcing it

• It depends on the job. Obviously if you're interviewing for a server position at Hooters it's going to make a huge difference. Having been in the business world myself for more than 20 years and done a boatload of hiring myself, I would say it makes zero difference. In business, making a hiring decision based on anything other than candidates' skills and capabilities is just shooting yourself in the foot.

What Girls Said 4

• Yes ,I do think it's true in some domains like business ,for example. Luckily,I want to be a doctor. Usually fat people or short people have lower chances at getting hired.Same for the people with scars,tattoos,piercings,or just a not so good looking face.

• in jobs where appearances matter like sales, yes

• Women, yes.

• In my experience it's more like who you know then what you know or how you look that gets hired. I don't mean to brag but if it was looks that got you hired I could have had the pick of any job I applied for.

• I kinda agree with that. Last year, I got into two jobs, but I couldn't work once they found out my age. This year, though was a struggle. I only got into this one job cos my sister worked there.

• Exactly my point your sister's most likly a good worker so they figure you should be to.