POLL: is it true that Guys only care about looks?

Do men only care about looks with women?

I know it's general but sometimes there are general rules...

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering I can't speak for all men, I'll speak for myself and say no. I don't. I care a little, but not very much. I can notice a pretty girl, I can talk to a pretty girl, I can find a pretty girl attractive, but I don't necessarily LIKE the pretty girl. I might not even necessarily be sexually attracted to the pretty girl.

Why won't I necessarily like her? Well she might just simply be pretty. She could be a totally awful person. There might not be anything wrong with her as a person, but I might have absolutely nothing in common with her. I might have nothing to say to her, or any chemistry. There could just easily be nothing there.

Why won't I necessarily be attracted to her? Well, it's not that I'm gay or anything. It's just that to me, sexuality is not entirely about appearance. Sure, appearance can help a lot. This is true. However, I can think of beautiful girls who do nothing for me, and girls who, if asked, I would say are not particularly attractive, yet have tons of sex appeal. It's more about attitude and personality than appearance. Same goes for being cute, too.

Those, right there were two prime examples of how looks aren't everything.

In my years, I've known a lot of girls, and I've dated, or had sex with a lot, as well. All shapes, and sizes, different races, and a few different religions. I don't really discriminate. It's all about who they were, who I thought they were as people, and what we shared, how we got along, what we had in common, and all sorts of other things. But whatever it was, in the end, had very little to do with looks.

To speak for other men, such as my friends, I have seen them with a number of different girls. Some of my friends were admittedly a little shallow when it came to their taste in women. Some less so. Some were with a variety of different girls. So I can say some of my friends are at least better than that. They're not all about looks. Not all of them.

I can also draw from another example. My girlfriend has this friend of hers. She's... she's not exactly pretty. I'm not sure I'd call her ugly, but I would say she's overweight, and other things about her are kinda plain. She has "manhands". Personality-wise, I don't really get along with her, much (We're very different people) but to speak to her qualities, I can say she has loads of personality, she can be fun, she's really outgoing, and she's kinda funny.

You might be wondering "what was the point of that last paragraph?" and I'm getting to that. The point is that she is never single for more than a couple weeks. Seriously, she has guys hanging off of her. She's been engaged at least twice, if not three times in the last five years. If guys only cared about looks, would she have so much incredible luck with men? Probably not!

So, thus in conclusion, I put to you this:

No. Guys do not only care about looks.

What Guys Said 22

• You're right in general, but you're also right that it is general.

There's also I think an added factor that can override whether or not a girls measurements or her photograph fit the "attractive" criteria.

Personality goes along way, as they say. But I'm not just talking about how nice a girl is, or that sort of thing.

Women can carry a very sensual vibe about themselves. This will over ride the fact that her body may not fit the definition of "hot."

If she's got the right attitude, and confidence that comes with it, she'll be noticed.

There will still be plenty of guys too locked into a particular body type or image, that'll never consider a girl that looks otherwise.

But if a woman can carry the right attitude, she's sexy: regardless of her measurements.

There is one other thing to note: regardless of what guys think is ideal, most guys, even the attractive ones, are I think so into being accepted and having a chance (at sex) that in the absence of peer pressure especially, will give any woman with even a little bit of self confidence a chance.

• The answer here is yes progressively to no.

Guys seek women who they are visually attracted to. Any guy who says different is lying. But girls do the same thing. We seek those things that we find attractive. It's just a human nature thing. So guys do only care about looks to start. That's the first process.

Now some guys continue to only care about looks. Most guys don't most guys start looking into the substance once they start talking to a girl and getting to know her. Then the looks don't matter so much. Guys will start letting certain things with looks slide because they like her personality or the way she makes them laugh or because she's great in bed (that last one is a pretty strong contender).

I can tell you from experience, I've met women who are an 11 on the looks scale, but I would never date them or even care that much to be their friend because they have horrible attitudes. And I've met women who I'm not personally attracted to that I am great friends with because they are good people.

Now, interestingly enough, this caring about looks tends to swing from yes to no and back to yes. As a guy or girl builds a relationship with someone else, they may get to that point where the relationship is dying...where they hate the little things another person does. At that point, the guy or girl will start caring about looks again. If your significant other starts caring a lot about what you look like, odds are pretty good the relationship is close to over. It means the guy or girl has started looking at other potential partners and is feeling guilty about it, so they want to rekindle the relationship and the only way they know how to do it is by feeling physically attracted to their partner again. However, physical attraction rarely wins over emotional and mental attraction.

• I wouldn't say that guys only care about looks but if a girl doesn't look good to the guy then the guy doesn't move into all the other stuff with a girl. I think that's why a lot of girls don't understand it. Like "step 1" for a guy is meeting a girl who looks good but that doesn't mean other things aren't important. Only a portion of guys will put up with a good looking girl who has a shitty personality and most of the time once that good looking girl sleeps with him he gets the hell out of there.

• I don't think so. For me, it seems that looks are more of a contributing factor when I don't know the girl. In school, when I'm friends with a girl and I know her personality, she can become attractive to me. On the average day when there's minimum knowledge and interaction and you see a girl in public there is just looks and mannerisms to attract someone.

• Yes and No. For me looks are important, I am not going to date someone that I am not physically attracted to. That being said I am extremely turned off by girls who flaunt their looks. Girls who expect things because they are pretty, or expect you to treat them better than other people. Basically good looks don't make up for a bad personality.

• Yes. Don't let my comrades deceive you.

Men will say personality matters while crashing their vehicle staring at a hot pair of tits.

Actually, here's video footage: link

Personality 'ONLY' matters if we already find you physically attractive.

If you're ugly, basically there's nothing you can do.

Conversely, a below average man can develop his wealth, social status, humor, wit, confidence and become attractive.

• No. But it seems to me that girls do. I have friends, am outgoing, nice, work, go to school. But when it comes down to it I can post my best picture on Facebook or Instagram. No likes. May get a few nice shirt or nice hat compliments but never a good look compliment. Other guys get it all the time but never me. Even in real It's always a you are a great guy but no.

• Looks contribute to a couple of personality traits. How much the girl takes care of herself, how much she cares about how she looks, and it even shows her style (I.E. pony tail vs fancy curling). [Ponytails are much more attractive to me :D] Otherwise, natural attractiveness is just a bonus. It's how she handles it that I notice.

• To me this has the same logic as women aren't physically attracted to men. Of course if you were an alien that learned about our culture through television's stereotypes, it would teach this. Of course men care about more than looks.

• To all those who are voting "no"; isn't it mostly the looks that grab year first attention and bring the thought of being with a girl. Personality and all that jazz comes later and a few more meetings.

• But she specifically asked if it's the ONLY thing you care about. I doubt all men ONLY care about looks.

• I doubt if ANYONE would care about looks only. At some point, other characteriatics will always take over. That is why I tried to take the scenario of first times. I guess it did not make much sense.

• Looks contribute to the combing factor of personality height profession etc that but at the end of the day looks only play a small to medium part.

• No. But it matters as much to men as looks, job, height and sense of humor do combined to women.

• No. Everything is important. Appearance is important, but it overestimates.

• we approach a girl for their looks

but we stay because of her personality :)

• Obviously and demonstrably not. Evidence being the millions of women who don't fit any kind of mainstream beauty profile still getting sex and relationships.

• It matters a little. She doesn't have to be the hottest girl in the world for us to like her. Average is fine.

• no, looks initially that's the attraction then the love and care comes from getting to know the girl and liking/loving her personality

• You really need to be a little more specific.

Do we only care about looks when we're glancing around a room, wondering if we should try striking up a conversation with a girl? Yes.

Do we only care about looks when we're getting to know a girl? No.

• Well, it's what draws me in. But it's the personality that makes me stick around; if she's very very hot but a total and utter bi*ch then I'm walking away to let another chump handle her

• No of course it's not true, just as it's not for girls. But of course looks are important too

• Only? No

Is that the first thing we notice and are attracted to? Absolutely

I mean, if you have a girl speaking about something, the first thing most guys are thinking when looking at her is whether he thinks she's attractive or not. That's the base value.

Men and women both have different lists in what they value in a partner, and I don't think men's lists are more shallow than women's.

• Just as much as girls only care about money

What Girls Said 13

• Its not just guys - girls also care about looks even more than guys.

Don't blame the gender it is the person, their personality that makes them value stuff like looks, status etc

When you find the right person they won't care about such stuff its the personality, person you are that will matter to him

• No. Some do while some don't.

• The thing with people in general is that before they could see your personality, the first thing they see is how you look like. If they like how you look like, they interract with you, and then they see your personality. If they don't like your personality, then they will move on. So in the end, personality is just as important as looks.

• Yes most of them do.

• Its somehwat rue.Looks play a huge role in attaraction but looks aren't everything.One also needs to have an even better personality

• I would say its not the only thing that important, but ONE of the most important things for a man. To keep a man, it is especially important to maintain your attractiveness.

• Yes and no because they like the prettier girls but will sleep with and date the ugly ones too LOL

• Yes it's true. And women too.

• like girls, physical attraction would come first and follow by personality

• Guy care MAINLY about looks. Everything else is secondary. The poll results are bogus.

• Yes. I thought that was obvious.

• No it's not.

• The number of times I have seen men include in their answers on here : "only if she's attractive" has led me to believe that yes, guys primarily only care about looks.

• And girls are any different because what exactly?

• I suppose. But just because someone is physically pretty doesn't mean they can't have an ugly personality.

• Was anyone actually disputing that?