Let's put our analyzing helmets on and analyze the shit out of this.
Do you agree with what the article said about why designers do this? Or do you have your own explanation? Do you like it? How do you generally feel when you see an ad like this?
Most Helpful Guy
1st - it isn't a 'new' concept at all...
2nd - I don't agree with the columnist's view that, "This obsession with death isn't so surprising, when you consider it as the obvious and ultimate end point of a spectrum in which women's passivity and silence is sexualised, stylised and highly saleable."
3rd - Her final opinion is just that, purely opinion. "If the sexualised stereotype of a woman in our culture is passive and vulnerable, the advertising industry has worked out that, taken to its logical conclusion, there is nothing more alluring than a dead girl."
4th - lets look at who & where this blog is coming from... it is very very telling of the biases of the writer. if you don't have the same biased view from the start, this blog is just silly.
5th - has the woman that wrote this actually seen some high fashion shows? this is not shocking, new, out there, or weird compared to some other shoots.
- so I cleary don't agree with the writer.
- without actually asking the designer, there is no way to know what the reasoning is behind their design/layout. zombies & related 'dead un-dead' beings are for some reason still a trendy thing in pop culture.
- I don't like or dislike it.
- I don't feel any way about it. most of the clothes have a bit of a 'gothy' dark look to them (almost wintry or night-time feel, which makes sense for scarey things & death). there is also a bit of gangster (not gangsta) look which makes sense for those ads. they are all OK photo shoots. if someone thinks the way the writer does, dead (silent & defenseless) is the epitome of hotness, then they likely have issues of their own.
- there are photo shoots fashion shows with the genders reversed, makeup to look like corpses, dead men, submissive men, etc. this seems like an article about nothing unless you have an agenda...0