Why girls no longer wear dresses?

i noticed that girls rarely wear dresses or skirts anymore. I find it really sexy and feminine to wear a skirt or dress.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why don't guys wear suits anymore?

• a half decent one that fits right isn't cheap

• No it's not feminism, lol, it's just more modern and that's what is being marketed, like this is how to be cool, and mostly teen girls think that and wear jeans and pants to fit in.

• Take a casual setting, like college/university. How many male students do you see wearing a suit? Unless it's like a business school then I would take a guess and say zero. On the other hand, there will still be a good percentage of girls who wear dresses. Doesn't have to be a smart dress, just a casual one. Even sweater dresses count.

What Girls Said 20

• Yes and I hate that! I wear them all the times but it seems jeans are like all they wear and if you ask me, it makes them look less girly big time.

• I notice you're from New York. I think New York women tend to do it more than the rest of the country, especially the southern part of the country

• Me personally I love wearing skirts, but the only type I wear are flared skirts and they're extremely hard to come by these days, 99% of the time when I see a skirt in a shop it's a pencil skirt. I also like similarly styled dresses and a similar issue pops up half the time - it's just that "straight" skirts or dresses make me look butch due to my broad shoulders. Guess that's one of the reasons why you rarely see me wearing a dress.

As for the general population, many girls find jeans to be more comfy and generally easier to wear. Also, they go with pretty much any top or shoes, skirts not quite so.

• try Urban Outfitters! I work for them, everything is skater skirts/skater dresses right now! Super flattering!

• Skater stuff isn't really my thing (I'm more into preppy style) but thanks anyway C:

• I still wear dresses occasionally, but only in the spring and summer on nice days. I've been thinking to buy a sweaterdress for autumn to wear with a pair of awesome boots I bought, but I haven't found one I like yet. Like someone else mentioned, I'm picky about dresses and how they drape. I'm particular about how they look on my hips.

I think another reason jeans are more popular is because you have pockets. You can just throw some cash and your phone in your pockets and go. Dresses generally have no storage lol. (Unless you are like my mom and stuff your cash in your bra!)

• In the summer I pretty much live in dresses and skirts. Mostly maxi skirts & knee length dresses. They are more comfortable and keep me from getting overheated. I can't handle being too warm... They're just more convenient in the summer... Plus then people say you look nice!

• Well... it's like -14°C where I'm right now so... no thank you. But I have started wearing skirts more often. I also like wearing long sweaters and tights. I only wear dresses for parties, though. I don't like looking all dolled up at school.

• If you had more time in the morning to do that, would you (I mean for school). I often hear girls complain about not doing it at school, simply because school just starts too early etc..and it's time consuming to get dolled up

• So why does Lexi, on A.N.T. Farm do it?

• Because she's not me and she values/likes different things than me?

• we'll in the past few weeks it's been negative temperatures in Fahrenheit so that's part of it. I wear a lot of dresses going on dates and to dinner and to parties. I love tight dresses and skirts.

• Weather does play a big part in it, but I've heard girls are wearing shorts, spandex, tights, leggings, etc.. under their dresses as well as wearing cardigans blouses etc..so I don't know if weather is exactly a viable factor in why they don't anymore

• I sometimes wear dresses, skirts not so much because I never find ones that look good on me. What stops me from wearing them all the time is because I find jeans or pants in general to be more practical/comfortable and I don't have to worry about the wind flipping my skirt up or the dreaded skirt stuck in panties thing.

If I have to dress up I will always wear a dress though.

• I still wear dresses bought one yesterday matter of fact haha. I actually have about 20 something dresses. They're definitely one of my favorite things to wear. They make me feel girly and all those things you mentioned :)

• I honestly don't like guys looking at me. and not to be conceited but I get enough attention being all covered up as it is.

I don't know why, I just feel uncomfortable... however I do like the guy I'm with to look at me.. only and exclusively.. and he's not here with me.. so I don't wear them often.

• i know what you mean but at least on the west coast skirts and dresses just aren't worn. they're considered weird or something. girls wore tight pants and while being covered up it's more revealing and they get a lot of attention that way. trust me, I know *cringe* skirts aren't necessarily more revealing.

• See that's what I don't want to happen. They could hurt themselves if they faint and I just don't feel right showing the abs. It's just really too cruel to tease them like that.

• I love dresses and skirts but the classy, descent, elegant kinds and still do. It also depends where I am going and what I am doing.

• Would you wear shorter ones if you were going to a club?

• I don't to clubs so yeah, my wardrobe is based on where I go and what I do, so clubs is outta the questions but I forget to mention, I have one that is party type, short and glittery but clubs no

• I still do but they have to be a decent length. I don't like having to pull it down each second because I'm afraid my butt will decide to pop out and say hi to everyone

• in America ? it's been like that for decades. sexual revolution yeah.

• Did you know Coco Chanel is an anti-Semite.

The feminist movement caused it, not America (it's in Europe too)

• It's just less practical and less warm. Currently comfort is more important than style. It's also more difficult to find a dress that suits you than to find jeans that do the same.

• I like to wear dresses more than pants or jeans, the latter is more restrictive.

Maxi skirt is my favourite

• It's not comfortable most of the time, like when the wind blows, haha.

• I like wearing dresses but sometimes I don't because not many people do so I feel out of place

• So you conform?

• Yes I am heavily influenced. I am a human being after all. Not going to lie like most people who pretend to original cause they think it makes them look good

• I always wear dresses

• Personally I hate wearing skirts, they don't look very flattering on me. I do like to wear long dresses sometimes in the summer though.

• What types of skirts were you wearing that didn't flatter you. Maybe you're just not wearing the right kind

• Beats me. I LOVE dresses. They're so much less constricting than pants and make me feel more feminine.

I've met/had friends that were girls (and straight) that never wore dresses. In fact, they hated it and would do anything not to wear one (even at formal events). I don't understand it.

• Yikes. I mean, I'm all about girls being able to wear what they'd like, but they weren't even wearing them to formal events? Wow

• Yeah exactly. That's just stubborn.

• depends on the person. I still see a lot of people wearing dresses and skirts though so I don't know where you're from. its winter so cold as fuck right now and I know many women aren't going to be bothered with that at this time of year.

I just likes jeans, leggings, and pants a lot. Especially leggings. So comfy and I like the style. I think dresses and skirts are cute and I'm trying to wear them more often. not because of what any guy thinks (couldnt give a fuck) but because *I* like them. If I don't want to wear them, I wont. I assume that's true for many other women as well, and those may be the ones you pay attention to.

winter is too cold for me to be bothered with skirts and dresses though. you can put up with that if you want, but I don't have time for that shit. I layer my leggings and leggings under jeans half the time. Tights under skirts probably wouldn't be enough for me. But its possible if you really want to do it.

• I always find that "because I want to" stuff to be bullshit. I mean if you were wearing it for you, wouldn't you say you're wearing pants and shorts for yourself too?

What Guys Said 10

• Feminist cuckoos have made it sound like a woman wearing a dress is tantamount to a man putting on potato sack shorts and shackles and picking cotton in a field in bare feet.

And to a very small degree, society swallowed that load of bull. So now, wearing a dress is seen as a bad thing.

In Hollywood, dresses are only for formal occasions. Movie characters who wear dresses are either supernatural beings, time travelers, from another time period, aliens, naive adults with child-like brains, or mean bitches. About the only women more evil than the ones in dresses are the ones that wear business suits.

By contrast, the "country girl" in torn-up jeans and engine grease on her skin may be a bit of a slob and may be rude and crude and even smelly. But even if she's wielding a knife and cutting everyone to ribbons, she's portrayed sympathetically and is usually depicted as being really hot.

It sends a message: dresses = mean prudes, jeans = hot lay, maybe even good friend.

While this kind of sexualization and stereotyping may seem incredibly shallow, it is not something to find surprising. It has been going on since at least the 80s.

The impact is thus: it's not cool to wear dresses. Unless it's a really short skirt, but that's only if you're really kinky. But then, you're portrayed as a trashy slut. But jeans? Always in style.

A lot of girls have simply grown to swallow that line of thought without even processing it, let alone questioning it. And no girl wants to be viewed as unsexy. So they do whatever is likely to land them a man. And the guys go along with it, because whatever gets you the girl just might be worth it.

• I can only speak from my point of view of what I have seen in the U.S., not clue for other countries, but as I see it current time we live in most people do not bother getting dressed up at all. Look at the 50's and earlier it was common for men to walk around in suits, ties and hats. Women basically always wore dresses and skirts and even looked nice when just going to the store. Since then the overall culture as gone to a casual, laidback approach, especially when it goes to how people dress. Girls wear short shorts and yoga pants, guys in cargo shorts or jeans and most younger people thing nothing off it. Nowadays if you went to the store in a suit you would be stared at, just like if back in the 50's you wear in a tanktop. Dresses and skirts are part of this because they are mostly considered to be more formal and less casual.

• It is obviously different for each individual women as to how they dress, I am just stating the overall trend.

• Re-reading this I sound like some old man in his 70's. I remember back in my day...

• this is so true... I can't imagine the young people of today how they will be dressed in the future when we are old...

• Becuase clothing company's make clothes that belong on whores and tramps. Sersiousy am I the only one angry at this except at events I have never seen women wear dresses In my town. They always wear shorts shorter then my boxers and walk around in pajamas they ether dress trashy or lazy. I'm fine with jeans if I ever saw em the only people who wear dressed around here are the medinight not sure if that's how you spell it and the Amish I like it when women wear dresses it makes them look good and just feel natural.

• Mainly because of the whole feminine thing I suppose. That and it's winter so it's bloody freezing :P

• temperature is no excuse. I haven't worn anything but miniskirts and dresses for more than 8 years and it's colder in tokyo than london.

• I certainly applaud your determination, madam! :3

• It's probably because of the makeup of our society. the modern world just doesn't have a place for them. you can't do a lot of jobs other than teaching or office jobs. plus if a girl has a nice dress she isn't just going to wear it on some ordinary day

• I know one that does.

• They do here, but half of the time it's a really skanky dress and I don't like it. The other half is nice but I also think nice jeans can look very feminine.

• I like it when girls wear dresses and skirts xD really feminine and attractive

but I don't usually see that anymore.

• nowadays all I see are jeans that show off their ass. don't really like that. nice jack off material, but I wanna see dresses :x

• Do you never leave the house then? Because girls wear dresses all the time lol

• I'm in the northern hemisphere so I don't see any now, unlike a few times during the summer when out clubbing (that's about the only time I ever see girls dressed like that - but it's very rare).

And also like theBritishlad I think it's the feminists that have destroyed it - why they don't destroy the myth that girls should let guys approach, I'll never know