When and why did girls suddenly become much more interested in muscular men?

Over the past few years I've noticed a greater reliance on the gym for guys. Girls have also become far more attracted to men who look like they work out.

For example, James Bond. Back in the early days he just looked like a normal guy, fairly good looking in terms of his face but now he is played by Daniel Craig who is huge!

Why and when did this occur?

Most Helpful Girl

• women have ALWAYS preferred fit men. That goes all the way back to natural instinct and evolution.

The whole gym thing is part of a craze that's captivating both men and women. America was steadily becoming fatter and fatter, until recently the trend changed and there was a sudden push for people to eat healthier and exercise more. I attribute it to the media... you see it all the time in school, they're always pushing it on kids, you see it on all kinds of TV shows and commercials, it's in songs, movies.

People who take care of themselves are attractive. It's no secret, we're just coming back to it after letting go (as a nation).

What Girls Said 10

• idk I prefer guys who are muscular, those are the best body types. like professional football players. I've never looked at a slim guy and thought "wow his body is super sexy" like I would a muscular guy

• By football do you mean it in the American or European sense. American Football or Soccer/Football?

• American football

• I'm not into huge muscles. I hate seeing large neck or shoulder muscles on a guy. It just looks weird. I like a nice, athletic body like a Christiano Ronaldo type body. A nice athletic body lets me know he's in shape and could be healthy. Subconsciously, I look for someone healthy who I can make healthy babies with.

• Some guys look good with muscles - some guys don't - it depends on their bone structure, their face and their personality. I know bigger guys who look horrible that way and I know bigger guys who look great that way.

• Most guys are right when they stated "girls don't like Mr. Universe looking guys"

I don't want a rock hard man. It's uncomfortable to cuddle with them lol.

Guys who are athletic and somewhat muscular are seen as more attractive because they are strong and can protect and or defend girls if need be.

Its attractive.

• Because we spend so much time and money on trying to improve our beauty that we expect our man to do the same.

Attraction isn't new, the fact that we can enjoy and show it is relatively recent.

• I prefer guys with a bit of a gut and strong arms rather them all rock hard everywhere

• Media mostly, I assume. I wouldn't say it's as drastic a change as you're describing, but there has been somewhat of a change.

• Women have always been into muscular it's just now you decide to get in the gym for once.

• Not as much as before though and I don't go to the gym.

• It's not just men -- women too are becoming more toned instead of just thin. I think it's associated with high status. What rich people do trickles down into being what society favors.

Also, Sean Connery wasn't flabby or anything.

• link

It's true that 'not flabby' continues to be in. But I suspect if someone posted that body now, most girls would say he should 'try lifting weights'.

• Most women I know prefer smaller guys to the kind that are in muscle mags, though.

• I know Sean Connery wasn't flabby but quite normal looking.

• Women have always been attracted to masculine men. Men just went to the gym to compete to be the most masculine. And women are attracted to the most masculine. Maybe you're just noticing it now, but it's really all been that way.

What Guys Said 4

• People prefer fit bodies overall. Don't get this confused though. There's different types of fit men. Many girls will tell you overly muscular men may seem gross to them. I go to the gym frequently and it changed a lot for me. Overall from what I have researched, "lean and toned" is the popular type of body that girls are into.

There's a lot about a muscular guy besides his muscles that attracts women too though. Confidence, work ethic, determination, self assurance, and optimistic attitude are a few things I can name off hand.

• I'm going to speculate two things:

- Football players being top of the status heap in U.S. high schools. As they have gotten bigger (through better training) that's trickled down. European women are more likely to indicate soccer player type physique as optimal.

- Studies have shown women with a weak relationship with their father tend to find men with physical markets of very high testosterone most attractive, while those with good relationships tend to like moderate testosterone. It seems like the latter group are attracted to strong men with good father potential, while the former group - perhaps anticipating being single mothers, subconsciously - choose the strongest genes. I suspect there's some evidence of this in women's tastes shifting, on average, to even more masculine looking men. You'll notice that Asian cultures are much more likely to like slim 'pretty boy' males vs. north American. There's a profound difference in typical family dynamics.

• soccer player type physique is generally incredibly toned, those guys don't mess around man look at Hulk or dare I say CR7 but even players like torres and danny sturridge have super tight bodies man.

• That's very itneresting Kheserthorpe. The huge increase in family breakdown in the West would definitely explain it, then, if that theory is correct.

• I know that studies have shown the testosterone preference in faces, I know that u.s. women on average prefer more high-T faces then UK women as per studies. So I throw out the possibility there's an impact. But other factors too - celebrities using steroids (which I assume is rampant) toys have gotten more muscular, etc.

• Its the media. If you ever look at a mens magazine, the guy is ripped and huge. Over time that became the standard for male beauty. Its not a big deal though, getting muscles is easy. Going to the gym, having a good diet, and cardio will insure a sexy body in about 3 months.

• Why wouldn't they be ?