Will being overweight ever be considered attractive?

2/3 of Americans are overweight and obese. Will skinny, thin, slender and athletic ever be our and fat in? The avg pant size for women is a 16 so shouldn't society get with the program?

Most Helpful Girl

• Doubt it. People will settle of course but thin or fit will always be idealized and preferred. An average pant size of 16 is shameful though. There is no excuse for that.

What Guys Said 24

• Nope. Fat will never be attractive in America.

Consider this--2/3 of Americans are overweight.

And pretty much 99% of men, young to old, STILL want slim women who have figures like

Selena Gomez

link

Kyra Gracie

link

Gina Carano

link

THAT is what American men consider hot/attractive. Unless you import a ton of African men who like fat girls, it won't change.

The whole "fat is beautiful" thing is driven 99% by women who want to be able to be fat but still expect to get a cute guy in decent shape. Maybe one or two men out of a hundred find fat women attractive.

Some idiots here and there will say in movie reviews how fat women like Melissa McCarthy are "beautiful big women" but let me ask you--

when's the last time when you saw a movie where the "sexy girl" time had a woman who looked like this in a bikini or nude?

link

Never. Movies show off slim, fit women. Why? Because the vast majority of women are straight. Meaning that the only opinion that really matters in whether a woman is attractive is man's opinion. And men want to see attractive, fit women. Not fat girls.

• It's almost the opposite. The more fat people are, the more they idolize thin.

There was a study I saw that I couldn't dig up fast (was in the U.K) that showed men who had immigrated from some country where lack of food was more of an issue tended to prefer higher weight women then U.K. born men. But the longer they spent in the U.K., the more there preferences shifted towards U.K. standards.

Basically if people tend to be underfed, then extra fat may be a sign of wealth and health. As long as it represents poverty and poor health, it won't be considered attractive.

• I'm not sure where the 2/3 of Americans are overweight comes from. If that's based on the body-mass index, you should know more than a few physicians think the bmi is flawed. It's an ongoing debate. However, I would have to say that being overweight is becoming something of a problem in America.

As for whether or not obesity will ever be considered attractive, I can't foresee the future. There were times and cultures where being slightly overweight was attractive (very obese was not really considered attractive in any time or culture...and the Venus idols from the Stone Ages may or may not have been ideals of beauty, we simply don't know). Sculptures of Venus and Ishtar and other love / beauty goddesses often depict them as having a few extra pounds, but most of them portrayed these love deities with hourglass figures. Sculptures of Apollo generally portray him as being slender and athletic. I think being obese was perhaps most attractive during the Renaissance, if their art is anything to go by.

But we don't live in Renaissance Europe, do we? For some people, obesity is not really a choice. There does indeed seem to be a genetic component to it. However, I don't believe that's the case with most Americans. Look back at pictures of people in the 1920s, an era of great prosperity in this country, and you'll see very few obese people. This is largely because there was no fast food. Indeed food was generally less abundant.

• I don't think so.

I personally workout A LOT so I want someone who is the same way. But, that doesn't mean I am looking for skeletons or anything. Just people who are happy and fit.

• No I don't think there will ever be a mainstream sexual desire for obesity. The desire for a partner that's in shape is rooted deep in our evolutionary psychology.

• With the way the media pushes that whole I'm fat and proud/beautiful thing going on, maybe so int the future. Hell, we already got chubby chasers out there.

• yea, with all this artificial food (that contain no calories, etc) being produce now a days there is a chance that we will all end up looking anorexic one.

on the meantime I already think overweight women are attractive. nobody likes a skinny, punny chick that will be bound to go on wheel chairs after making love in bed. its all I have to say

• A person doesn't have to be stick thin in order to not be fat/chubby

• No. I think people that find overweight people attractive will always be in the minority. It is easy to be fat just by eating poorly and not getting exercise. I want to be with someone who makes the same effort to stay healthy that I do. There is a reason movies, TV shows, and ad campaigns don't feature overweight people as a majority of their stars. Numbers don't really influence that either. If 2/3 of women had no teeth, I wouldn't suddenly develop an attraction to women with no teeth... I would pursue one of the 1/3 who has good oral hygiene and didn't lose all her teeth.

• Yeah some guys are into BBW (big beautiful women) and girls are into it too.

Will it ever be a perfered preference ? No.

• Overweight will never be considered attractive in our society. I would never consider a women who is overweight attractive, I know there are some men who would be find them attractive. The same with women, I am sure there are some that find overweight men attractive. I am not against overweight people but I think if we as people took a better control at the type of foods we eat and exercised, we wouldn't have 2/3 of Americans who are overweight. I actually feel bad for people who are overweight cause they are cutting their lives short. I know there's a lot of reasons why people are overweight like genetics, not excising, laziness, among others.

• No... fatties should stop being lazy and have more self control. Its not okay because its not healthy. Stop Trying to make it okay.

• This is actually a rather complex question.

First of all, while we do have large cultural trends in what people find attractive, people are individuals and have individual preferences. I my self know a lot of guys who ONLY find larger women attractive.

Second of all, the traits we find desirable changes a lot. Look up the Venus of Willendorf. Roughly 22,000 years this was what was considered desirable in a woman; large hips, large breasts, large everything. The face and the arms are of little to no importance and have no detail. Fast forward to ancient Greece where people literally worshiped the human form, its far different: idealized hyper athletic figures, lean and fit and powerful. What becomes the cultural norm of what is desirable is constantly in flux

• No. Fat is unhealthy, flat out. Nobody likes being unhealthy.

• Nope and that's why I like to meet girls at the gym.

• I think being obese needs to become the minority again for it to happen. In olden days I think being fat showed wealth because food was scarce. Also I think that the media plays to large of a role in what we consider attractive.

• bang a skinny girl or bang walking jello?

i think the answer is obvious here.

it's skinny, btw.

• As long as she is cute.

Ik this goes the same for sum guys

• Sure why not, it's been the bomb before. Probably not during my lifetime though.

• That's like asking if being short will ever be attractive (for guys). Sure, there are people that can look past the surface but they are few and far between.

P.S. There are some really cute overweight women out there.

• Nope, I think it's hardwired into us from evolution that we want a mate that is healthy; overweight persons often suffer from some medical ailments (or that they will in the future)

• it already is in some countries including the United States these women are called BBWs and are obese and very pretty and very sexy to men with fat fetishes or who just get turned on by fat and lots of it like me

• America's dietary habits are similar to those of similar wealthier nations. The problem is the food industries in America allow a lot more unhealthy ingredients to be put in.

• No, the problem is uncontrollable eating...we can blame the hormones or ingredients all we want but the portion sizes are ridic

• Nope. Never changed the subject. In fact, we've been talking about the same thing. Fail.

• Lol

• No and yes. No because you'll never see a over wieght Victoria secret model or a overweight men's underwear model and yes because men on average have to settle for less in dating and marriage unlike women . For example, a fat woman will be more successful at dating and getting married than a fat guy or a below average looking guy. A below average looking woman that's not overweight will be more successful at dating and getting married than even a average looking guy.

• Actually, I read an article that said when overweight women vs overweight men were compared in sex lives, a significantly higher amount of overweight women reported no sex life.

• I don't know about that. I see plenty of guys with Woolly Mammoths all the time .

• Wow a size 16 is fat. I will never be attracted to overweight women ever. It is just a sign of laziness and poor diet neither which am I okay with. I will date a European before I date a fat because I don't want to change my lifestyle American.

• "I will date a European before I date a fat because I don't want to change my lifestyle American."

I have nothing against your preferences but it made no sense towards the end.

And people in the UK are apparently fat as well. Mexico too, which is no surprise cause the food is unhealthy (albeit delicious)

• To clarify the I will date a European before a fat American, I was meaning that it would be much harder to date someone who lived overseas compared to someone who was local (which I was hoping would show my disdain for the American laziness and diet) . I love Europeans and their culture. They are some of the best people I have ever met.

• Sorry I was a little confusing. I was meaning that I would do the long long distance relationship before I would date someone who was happy with their unhealthy lazy American lifestyle. That level unhealthiness is just not my cup of tea, so I wouldn't be happy with someone like that and they wouldn't be happy with me.

What Girls Said 23

• I seriously doubt it. Even though most Americans are overweight, that doesn't mean it will be considered attractive. Because being overweight is so common, I feel like some people are just having to settle for that body type. I realize that sounds mean but just because someone is in a relationship with an overweight person, that doesn't mean they find that body type to be ideal.

Yes, I'm sure there will be some people saying that there are people who like overweight or "chubby" women, but those guys are in the minority. Just like women who like overweight guys are in the minority.

Some overweight women like to call themselves "curvy" to make people think overweight is attractive but anyone with any real sense will know the difference between an actual curvy woman, and a woman who is simply overweight.

So no, I don't think "overweight" will ever be considered attractive to the majority of people.

• Believe it or not, I answered something quite similar to this last nite.xx

Whether it's yesterday, today, or even tomorrow, the obese out there will continue to program themselves to "eat everything in sight" when there is always an incessant supply of junk food available. Being a "16" today is even easier to get to because of this "influx of intake", making it much harder to get down to even a "6". I, for one, for years now, have been a svelte 4-5, sometimes smaller, depending on my "program."

However, today, because we live in a society where there are millions of all shapes and sizes, I don't really believe "one outweighs another," to sort of speak. No one seems to "give a hill of coffee beans" about "gets with the program" because everyone blends. Where I live, everyone from Size0 to Size 8X, when out there and about, don't actually "stick out like a sore thumb," but instead are considered to be in this huge "melting pot". So this makes fat "in", and skinny, thin, slender and athletic exactly what it is: "The cat's ass.":))

• I live in New York, where anything goes, anything is in, everyone blends...:))xx

• It's funny that what we consider beauty means that we as girls have to be skinny, and thin and look pretty and wear lacey clothes and sh*t. But if you had looked back into the past, being over weight was a sign of wealth, showing that you were wealthy enough to have food to eat and "rich" so to speak, so who knows, it could be considered attractive in the future, but for right now with our culture the way it is, no.

• What people consider attractive tends to be based on what signifies that someone is a good mate. In ancient times, the plumper a woman, the more attractive she was considered, because back then being fat showed that someone was rich enough to eat good food and not have to do manual labor. This meant that they would be a good mate, and that one's offspring were more likely to be better off.

However, in today's society, overweight people are considered not traditionally attractive. There are still some people who are more attracted to overweight women, but the majority are not. This is because today, the rich and well off people can afford the gym memberships, diet counselors, and healthy food necessary to stay skinny. Also, today we understand that being overweight is often correlated with bad health, so those people would not be ideal mates.

Overall, though many people are overweight, people who are skinnier will continue to be considered the most attractive, due to the fact that most of the celebrities and elite people in our society tend to be fairly skinny, so skinniness will continue to be associated with being healthy and well off, and thus will continue to be considered attractive.

• Interesting being plump used to be considered attractive because it was a sign if wealth and prosperity that you could afford the luxury of delicacies and excess food. Years ago women with pale skin and soft skin on their hands were considered desirable because it again was a sign of wealth and privalage that they didn't have to work outside or wash dishes (causing tans and rough skin). Then tanning and long nails came in indicating that you as the money and time not to work but to lie around in the sun and nit do anything to break a nail, prompting acrylic nails and self tanner. Today the most expensive food is healthy fruit and veg, the hardest thing to find is time to exercise since so many of us sit in offices. Given that in addition to the constant health warnings those of us with means and time eat healthy and exercise at a considerable commitment if time and money. Whilst the natural state if our days continues to be largely sedentary I can't see that changing. I would also point out their is a difference between plump at no cost to your health and clinically obese.

• plump at no cost to your health is a myth. only fat people online think otherwise

• So an 85kg guy that fluctuates between 80and 90kg is and us still in his healthy weight range is "fat". Lol what crap. Its nirmal for weight to fluctuate with myscle mass fluid and bone debsity over time which is what Hapoens regardless. Sounds like you're trying to have a rant not a serious discussion of possible future shifts in culture. Bye

• whatever makes fat people feel better

• All I have to say is "each to its own" If your attracted to someone who it "classified" as "overweight or obese" then who gives a shit. Since when did we live in a world where everything is based on appearances...oh right its 2014...this happened every freaking day. People need to wake up and realize not every women is going to look like your victoria secret models you see on tv, nor is every guy going to look like the calvin klein models you see in the magazine. I don't know why to so many people the size of someones jeans is an issue...why should that even matter! Obviously being obese and overweight isn't something to just dismiss, because it has many health risks. But honestly not everyone looks like a barbie, or looks like your ideal women. Some guys just need to wake up to reality because if they don't well then I guess they are going to be single forever. Because in this world...theres no such thing as a perfect human. Everyone has flaws, some show it more then others. But that doesn't mean you need to go hating on all "overweight, and obese" women. and say ewww no I would never date someone whos "fat" that's just not attractive. How can you go and make that judgement call without even meeting the person first. Lets say your on a first date with the girl, she's pretty, has a great personality...but uhhh ohhh... How much does this girl weigh? Better find that out first because well if she's "obese and overweight" well you don't want that! That's what all you idiots sound like when making these judgments. God dammit when did people become so closed minded and f*cking rude! I can't handle it...idiots I'm surrounded by idiots... I have nothing more to say.

• Nooo... But that doesn't stop people from trying. I read this link and while I appreciate the sentiment---love your body-- it's a little too "fat-acceptance is the best thing" for my taste. There is a difference between loving your body and taking care of it(even if you aren't in great shape.) and being very overweight and just accepting it. If someone wants to be unhealthy, let them. But it doesn't make sense to tell people to stay that way and just accept it when weight loss really isn't that hard. And people need to stop calling overweight/obese "curvy" because it has that negative stigma attached to it. Curvy isn't rolls... It's curves.

Very fat women can be beautiful, fit women can be beautiful, average women can be beautiful, and very thin women can be beautiful. But an extreme of anything is unhealthy, and I like to think that we won't let that happen. I completely agree with you that the average woman does not look like Marilyn Monroe, and it drives me crazy when people are like... "Well Marilyn Monroe was a size 16." She may have been at one point in her life she may have been, but in no way does that make it okay to be a size 16. The proportions that she had are nowhere near what the people who liken themselves to her possess.

Now I'm rambling. My bottom line is that SOME people may be "getting with the program", but a majority are not. Because we are designed to reproduce and are drawn to mates that are desirable for reproduction. Overweight/obese is not genetically desirable.

• The first point on that link is a lie. Everybody has rolls when they bend over...so not true. I lost my faith in the article there.

• Yeah. Everyone has like a little fold (you know- a bend) but NOT fat rolls.

• Shouldn't society get with the program?

Absolutely not. If you choose to have an unhealthy obese lifestyle - that's your choice. I don't dislike that, I don't hate it, I really don't care if you want to be fat. But that does not mean everyone else has to encourage this bad lifestyle choice and praise people for being overweight.

If people find that attractive then that's fine, but we shouldn't be changing the role model figures into obese ones just because so many people are overweight, that's one of the stupidest things I've heard. We should not be encouraging bad lifestyles of any kind, alcoholic, obese or drug addict.

Fat people shouldn't be shamed or belittled, but they definitely shouldn't be encouraged or cushioned about the fact that what they're doing is bad. I really hope fat never becomes beautiful, because it's not good for anyone to think that way.

• There are guys who already do find overweight women attractive. Usually those women are 30-50 pounds overweight and have an hourglass or pear shape. Not someone fat and round, but someone thick who is maybe overweight but has more fat in the boobs and butt.

• This pretty much describes me. I am hourglass. Overweight 30lbs. Being overweight is not fun. Sure it mainly goes to my boobs and a little to my butt but what girl does not want to look hot in a bikini? Or a top like this? link

• I think it all comes down to how someone feels about themself and how they feel about their body... and insecurity is probably one of the most unattractive traits someone can have... next to arrogance...

• I don't think so.

Because as people say here, it's our nature to look for a healthy person. I'm personally not skinny at all, some people could say I'm fat but I'm healthy, I'm not obese.

Most obese people get some medical issues.

Some women can't even get pregnant because of that. Skinny might not always be in but it would not be more than curvy I think

• Probably not. When you look at history, people have always been attracted to rare traits. Overweight women were rare, since food was hard to come by and was expensive. Now anyone can get fat. But anyone can also get fit with very little money. So scarcity will play a role here and fit/skinny people will be considered more attractive.

• I am obese and the thing that's most important is that you love yourself and like yourself to not let society make you feel like an outcast. I have men that like me for me not because of a fat fetish as some say, but because I'm human. I only worry about the ones that truly care for me. It hurts to live life feeling unacceptable. So I choose to not live that way anymore.

• Also you have to walk in someone else's shoes before you can just say eat a salad, exercise. Be thin if it were that easy, no one would be fat. If you eat over 3500 calories then you will gain a pound but emotional eating comes into play too. I am active I even have a torn meniscus and I walk with my cane at a fast pace trying to lose weight. It's a struggle but no one should consider fat people lazy. People always think I'm lazy then become surprised when they find out I'm not lazy

• I think sometimes overweight is attractive. And I'm not just saying that because I am overweight lol

• Hope not. I think fat girls try to convince themselves that guys like fat girls, but they get mixed up with curves and rolls. I'm slender and even if that became unattractive I wouldn't ever want or accept being fat.

• Lol at whoever is thumbing down the people who say fat is ugly, sorry but it is.

• Fat being ugly is the shallow perspective here. You can't say one thing is ugly, because there are plenty of people who are attracted to overweight men/women. It's not your personal preference, but that doesn't mean you can speak for everyone like it's fact. Shouldn't the real concern be women trying to push unhealthy and beautiful into the same box? Not just that aesthetically it offends you?

• Fat is ugly. I'm sorry, yes I know some people have a fat fetish and that's great for them. I'm not going to spare anyone's feelings and say everyone is beautiful because it's not true. If someone doesn't find me attractive then good for them, I'm not going to try and convince them different. Not really concerned with being shallow right now because this question being asked is a shallow one. I answered it. Not exactly concerned about their health lol. Thanks for the input.

• No unless it's to another fat guy... no problems there.

• I don't think so.

People will always hate on fat people.

People act like there's some kind of fat acceptance going around, but they'd realize there's no such thing if they spent a week or two as a fat person. The only acceptance fat people ever get is MAYBE from other fat people... and even that's not the case all the time.

I NEVER got a date until I lost almost all of my weight, I never got a date as a fat woman. Not one man ever liked me, not even the fat guys.

Taking away food and blah blah will not "solve the fat problem". People are so into quick fixes, thinking fat people are just lazy and that's all there is to it. It's not just about diet and exercise, there's a psychological reason people overeat and until people get a hold of THAT, the obesity rates will continue to thrive.

• Just take a look around GAG, and even this thread... people don't just dislike fat people, they HATE them. Which, to me, is so irrational and weird, but there it is. I don't see that shifting ANYTIME soon.

• some overweight women have really beautiful faces, but at the same time, unhealthy is unhealthy so it shouldn't be encouraged

• I think its a cultural thing. I am overweight and black guys find me attractive. athletic dlim black guys and some Latinos. white and Asian guys find me repulsive even thigh I know how to dress for my siz they just stare at my breasts. When I slim I was a DD but since I am big my breast are EI wear 16 pants and I am still single. Been trying to lose weight. I know women who are bigger than me who are always in relationships. I honestly don't get it lol. I am big which if men found me attractuve I would not be single.

• I don't think so. I don't get how fatness is attractive.

• how is she being stupid, how is being fat attractive? If that was true then most women in hollywood and in movies and magazines would not be slim

• I don't think it's fair to call her stupid because she has a different opinion, it might be slightly shallow because health should be the main concern with fat beauty, but that doesn't make her stupid.

• I am madly in love with a man who is slightly overweight. His weight does not influence me in the slightest, it is the person he is, how wonderful he is, and he is a very attractive man otherwise. I believe anyways, that looks only go a certain distance with most women, its the man's personality, how he treats a woman is what pulls her heart to him, or makes her fall in love with him. That's the case with me anyways! :)

• have you watched WALL-E?

• I LOVE THAT MOVIE

• its pretty much what's happening now in this world, just go to walmart and take a look

• You do realize being fat and big is unhealthy and not something to be proud of don't you?

• Some people are genetically fat

And some people have medical issues that cause them to be fat

Real women have curves. Bones are for dogs, real men want curves

• Well, let's just say the average woman looks nothing like Marilyn Monroe

• I know. If you go into some neighborhoods, most men won't have a clean criminal background check. Doesn't mean women should want to date criminals. Nor would the fact that many women are obese make men want to date them.