How do you dress when it's 20 degrees?

I'm not really a cold weather person. I don't have many cold weather clothes. I mainly wear a long sleeved shirt, a sweater, then a jacket and possibly a scarf but I feel like I should be doing more than that..What do people in extreme cold weather locations wear when it's bitterly cold?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I live in Illinois and it 's like 3 degrees outside right now , but when I do go out, I just wear a sweater, jacket and hat. You don't have to really dress extremely heavy if you're mobile, but if you're walking or on the bus I would probably invest in one of those big Northface jackets link some gloves , boots (if there's a lot of snow where you live) and some hand and toe warmers for your shoes and gloves if you're going to be out in the cold for a while. link

What Guys Said 7

• I'm jealous. Was below 0 Farenheit when I left my house this morning, windchill -15 or so.

Hat is important.

Sweater - an actual warm one. Wool would be a good bet. Most women's sweaters are mainly decorative, or - in my climate - suitable for a summer evening or early fall.

Scarf over face if out a long time.

• Hat

Long-sleeved shirt.

Sweater.

Thick coat with a hood.

Pajama pants with regular pants on top (over).

Thick winter socks.

Boots.

• What makes the biggest difference is a stocking hat. Having your head stay warm does a lot to keep the rest of your body warm. If I'm going to be outside in the cold for a long time, like at a football game, I'll also wear an under armor shirt and a few extra layers above it before putting my jacket on. Wearing a lot of layers, even if a few of them are thin, works better for trapping warmth than just one or two thick layers.

• I'd like to help but I have no idea. It was 78 here today. I wore pants, a long sleeve shirt & a light denim type shirt over that.

I can't imagine it being that cold.

Why do you live like that?

• I'm originally from the Mid-West where it was very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer. In the winter time, I would put on my underwear, long johns, two pairs of socks, then a pair of jeans a coat and then a pair of coveralls, gloves, and a full faced knitted beanie.

• Just add a hat and gloves. Google thinsulate.

• Swimsuit, sunglasses, and my surfboard ofcourse

What Girls Said 15

• 20 degrees is nothing. It's been minus 3 through minus 10 all month by me. Throw a coat on, a pair of gloves and a hat and you should be good. Don't be like me. I wear no hat, no gloves, and no scarf when it's below zero.

You just pile it on until you're warm enough to not freeze to death when you go outside. If you go out and you're too cold, well then go back in and put on more layers :)

• If I'm not planning on being outside for very long, I usually just wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt, maybe a sweatshirt, my favorite leather jacket, and boots.

I was recently given an extremely warm black coat for Christmas, though, which I've been starting to wear a lot more, since it's been so cold. The coat goes down to like my thighs, and I always keep gloves in the pocket.

• My thick long trench coat carries me through harsh cold weather.

Once you have a very good quality coat you don't have to bundle up in layers.

I often wear a long sleeved shirt, a sweater and jeans.

I rarely ever do more than that.

• thermal vest and leggings

jeans

long sweater or a sweater dress etc

chunky scarf, hat

long coat

shoes

• Well today it was 20-something and had a wind chill of 4, or around that.

And when its cold like that around here, I usually go all out with the 'BUM IT' clothes, in order:

- army socks

-thermals

-sweatpants

-long sleeved shirt

-scarf

-and a beanie

thats my everyday look for the winter... oh, and occasionally jeans, instead of sweats.

• I live up north and trust me, a lot of girls STILL wear mini-skirts (total nut jobs, if you ask me) But, I usually wear a long sleeve shirt, and t-shirt over that and a jacket, hat and scarf. Then, when I'm inside, I take the hat and scarf off and warm up inside with my jacket. 20 degrees would be nice if my state had it, right now. We're in the negatives, yikes! It all depends on your preferences. What you listed now, sounds perfect, unless you're cold. But, if you're warm in what you have now, don't feel like you need to change anything. Good luck with the cold, brrrr

• Its 20 degrees where I live and I usually just wear a few layers. Try wearing tights under your jeans that helps alot.

• dress in ugly UGG boots and sweatshirts when i'm inside but wear suede boots and matching cashmere coats when it's really cold outside.

• Layers. Long sleeve top, sweater and/or a coat, jeans, knee high socks, knee high boots, scarf. I'm not used to the cold weather as much and I tend to wear more layers (leggings underneath jeans, two long sleeve tops) than most.

• 20 that would be a relief from what we been having minus 20 to 30 was minus 38 here yesterday morning

• It was 26 degrees out this morning and I was dressed in shorts and t shirt with 2 bottles of ice in my pocket

• I wear jeans and a sweater and a jacket :) (keep in mind sometimes i'll still take my bf's jacket to though lol --he makes me or he won't wear it anyways cause he knows im cold)

• Oh also if im gonna be outside for a while sometimes I put leggings under my jeans

• At 20 degrees I'd be in a bikini sunbathing or wearing shorts and a crop top. That's summer in England

• cami+Longsleeves+cardigan+scarf+coat

Smartwool socks+ boots

Jeans

• i would wear a coat.