What are your criteria to determine if someone has class?

Would you consider his/her clothes the most important factor? Or attitude? Another factor?

For me, 50/50 between clothes and attitude.

Most Helpful Girl

• Surely the attitude. Of course being nicely dressed is usually the first indicator about what the person might be like, but often it's misleading. When it comes to having a class it all comes down to the attitude and what the person really is like inside - the morals, the values, the behaviour... You can judge the person by it's covers but you can be either right or wrong, you won't know untill you get to know the personality of the person in question.

• I'm really grateful for your quality answers... you're absolutely to the point. You clearly have class!

• Knowing class, and having class can be two different things...

• Your answer is really the best one... I'll remember that Slovenia is the country where people have class :-)

What Girls Said 10

• id say its half half as well.

attitude is obviously of more importance to me but I'm answering this based on my first impression. I'm thinking that if I look at a person and think wtf? then get to know them and be amazed…. id be slightly put off by their sense of… 'fashion' and vice versa.

but if a persons classy attitude has got the looks to match…. well dang there must b hope in the world after all:P

• I agree, sweetie, clothes and attitude walk hand in hand in displaying what you are all about. And to be fair, not that this has anything to do much with "class itself", but depending that day---what the hell mood you are in..:))xx

• My profile pix, for instance...I was "playful" that day, so snapped a few for the cam to keep on hand for just "moments" such as these..But from my attire, anyone who has an eye for fashion, can see I enjoy the "other side of the world." It says what I am all about..."Cute and cultural..":))xx

• Haha, I've got little experience dating etc... shame on me at age 38.

If we would meet the most ambitious thing I would do would be something like offering you a relaxing foot massage or so. I still need to learn to be a bad guy I think :-)

• lol! No tootsies, plizz..I don't like anyone, but an Asian touching them for anything but "feeling and healing.."Anyone else I give a "swift kick"..:))xx

• The clothes don't make the man and if someone thinks they're the shit because they're wearing a suit that's the first sign they have no class. The correlation between wealth and class is very small. I don't go around judging people on their class but you can tell by their attitude and morals. Integrity is a necessity. Their carriage can give it away too.

• Thanks for that! We more or less share the same opinion. Hadn't thought about morals but attitude certainly.

• Topic of conversation. I watch out for people who talk about personal matters loudly in public. I also side eye people who don't dress decently in public. If it is 2am and you are buying milk at the 24 hour grocery in your pjs then okay, but if it is 2pm and you are in your pjs WTF?! I also know a person is classless by how they dress. Sexy could be having on skinny jeans and a low cut top, or short shorts and a long sleeve button up. Classless tend to wear short shorts and a cut off low cut stop and 6 inch heels.

• class isn't clothes and etc

to have class you need to have a certain refinity to yourself, your posture should be great, the wya you carry yourself, the way you talk, the way you treat others all plays a part in having class.

• Morals

• Agreed, combination of presentation and behaviour.

• I think it's a mixture of both.

• Me too 50/50

• So happy that we all agree on this question... so many people confirming at's about attitude and clothing.

• 100% attitude.

• Haha, read the answer of Iananoel below! So if you would meet the guy in pijama at 2 PM and he would have the right attitude... would you consider him a guy with class?

Although I must say I also find someone's attitude very important. A nice girl can appear in a red dress with yellow balls and stars, I'll still appreciate her.

• Not attitude but composure,

Try reading?Rudyard Kipling's poem "If"

This is why a character like James Bond is so lasting,

he shows class,

enough though the guy is technically a mass murderer :/

• I love your "high class" opinion of ..."James..James Bond." He does have class, and every" piece of ass on his arm" has class too..." "Really, James...":))xx

What Guys Said 7

• Attitude, manners, the way they carry themselves as well as their morals, values being respected and being a gentleman also help with having class.

• Class is tricky to define,

It's subtle, and always understated,

It's confidence, never let insecurity define you, (by needing to follow others)

It's graceful, never rude crude or crass, (hence a lady or gentleman)

It's a mindset not the physical material in clothing,

You wear the clothes, they don't wear you,

It's a value system that can be learnt, with the right mindset,

It's independent of money,

• Superb but... didn't yout extract this from a book or website?

It sounds too good :-)

• Well, if I read the comments you read below everyone's answer, I think you know as little about class as my cat. Most people agree that it's attitude and clothing and you disagree with all of them?

Forget about it. Sadly there is no "worst answer" to give. You would get it.

• Lol, cheers,

My mothers side comes from aristocracy,

• Apart from how decent he dresses up, a lot depends on how he talks.

• Clothing has nothing to do with class. Anyone can buy some fancy clothes. Class is about how you think, speak and act.

• Buying "fancy clothes" doesn't give you class, but class can be reflected in what/how you wear,

• about what you said style looks and attitude

• 85% attitude, 15% the way they dress

• Clothes help, but personality and attitude, even their physical looks and body type play a part. You can usually look at someone and identify with relative ease if they come from a more fortunate, or less fortunate background.

Also there's a difference between being a class act and being classy. Anyone can be a class act, no matter their place in society but to be considered "classy" it usually means they're at least middle class and it also requires a fairly high level of physical attractiveness. But someone can also be very physically attractive and privileged but have no class whatsoever.

Being classy is as much of a lifestyle as it is being born into a privileged family. You could say education matters too. If someone isn't educated, or at the very least reasonably intelligent, it's unlikely that you could consider them classy. Many of those that are classy have something of higher value and expertise to offer the world and their status in society is a reflection to show for that.