How to get the perfect purple hair?

I am going from red to purple. right now my hair is like a dark pink to dark purple ombre but I want it just purple. is there a way to get my hair all one color without bleaching it again?

Most Helpful Girl

• Umm you should probably use Manic Panic or Directions. I've been told they are the best semi permanent hair dyes. I used them when I was in High School.

As for the bleaching, hmm what kind of purple shade are you aiming for? Can you link me a picture? I also want a picture of how your hair looks right now in order to help you more. I don't think you need to bleach it by the way. If your hair is a combination of dark pink to dark purple, there is no need to bleach it. Just wait till it fades out a slightly bit more.

• Manic panic is awful for bleeding. It makes anything my hair touches dyed. I can post a photo tomorrow of my hair. But I want a plum purple

• Really? I remember that it looked great on me when I dyed some purple and pink streaks. It started to fade on the third week or so, so I had to dye it again. It never got on my clothes or pillowcases etc.

Whatever you do, please don't bleach it. It's extremely damaging. I've only done it once and it took me a long time to repair my hair. Let the your hair fade a bit before dying it again. That would be the best option.

What Guys Said 2

• No, you'd have to bleach all of it..why not just go for purple highlights in various hues, depending on whether it's over the pink or not.

• Eat a lot of raspberries.

What Girls Said 4

• mix up a bowl of shampoo, baking soda and washing up liquid (this is very drying but won't damage like bleach), leave it on for 2 hours and then wash it off. itll fetch most of the colour right out unless your pink was atomic pink (that stuff is impossible to remove without bleach).

then you can pop a new purple dye directly on top (manic panic, la riche directions, sfx or crazy colour are all non damaging)

• my hair was fire engine red for a year. I dyed it twice a week. red is so hard to get out. I am still re pairing my hair after 6 bleaches to get it to the right red

• post on hairdyeforum.com theyll be able to help best as theyre all hair experts

• That depends on how dark your current shades are and what particular shade of purple you're going for. If it's a vivid purple then lightening it a little will help as the color will show up better. But if you're going for a darker purple like plum, then you could try putting the purple color you plan to use over your current shade and seeing what happens. However, since you have pinkish tones, that may affect the final result and give it a lighter shade where the pink is. Generally speaking, you have to bleach your hair, then color it your desired shade to get it a uniform color because the bleaching process makes it all one shade to start with. Dyeing hair will multi-tones with give you multi-tone results due to the presence of the different shades.

Manic Panic and Ion Color Brilliance are good brands to use.

• I bleached out some of the red to start and I want a plum and half of it is plum just not the roots the the ear is a pinkish.

• You could try putting the dark plum shade over it. Sometimes deep colors overpower lighter shades like that, but it still may be a bit lighter. Make sure you process with heat. That always increases the staying power of the dye and how deep the final pigment is.

• Yeah, just get a good quality dark purple dye and do your whole head over. It's light enough and purple is a strong/dominant enough color to cover over pink.

• What would good quality be? I use ion and splat currently.

• Raw and Special Effects are the two I've had the most success with. I've tried splat- didn't last long at all, Manic Panic, not only did it not last long but it got EVERYWHERE- even weeks after I had dyed it. I had to buy a whole new set of pillow cases and sheets. Punky Color I've heard some good things about but haven't tried. If Ion is the brand I think it is I've also had a huge success with that.

Just make sure you get Semi or demi permanent, so that it's bold and lasts.

• Just be careful there's one brand out there (I'm not sure which it is) that totes itself as more of a "stain" than a dye. The only problem is that with a stain it will end up being affected by the color already in your hair and it won't be as strong and pure purple as you're looking for.

• If you want it to be the purple you want you have to bleach it