My hair is either too flat or too thick, how can I fix it?

I cut my hair short, so now it is about where my shoulder bone is. And it is cut in layers. But I can't get it to look like I want it to. When I wash my hair in the morning before school it is thick, and I want it a little thinner. So I try washing it at night and sleeping with it in a ponytail, then straightening it in the morning, and that doesn't work. It makes my hair too flat. Plus it makes my bangs not do what I want them to.

So I really have no idea what to do. I want my hair to be like this:

link

like the thickness and everything, but my hair is either too thick or too flat. Any ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• I just bought this really cool blow dryer because I was having the same issue.

link

Use the comb attachment with the bristles really close together. I split my hair into four peices. Right side, left side, and on the back I do a top portion and the lower portion. Start with the lower portion on the back, then do the top, then do each side. The blowing give you body but the comb keeps it from getting too big. And I have always had issues with my bangs, especially after they are first cut and a little short they wanna stick straight up, this makes them perfect. Just make sure you don't push too hard with it because they are a little sharpish and it makes your scalp sting.

What Guys Said 2

• Well don't sleep in a ponytail.

Sleep in a Satin cap.

It ensures the least amount of trauma to your hair while your head tumbles as you slumber.

• I have noticed that girls/women almost always have hair issues-

If ones hair is curly they want it straight etc.

Next time you go to have your hair styled ask the chick doing it how to fix it and then you will know-

What Girls Said 1

• cute cut. Whatever you don't wanna sleep with it in a ponytail because it will damage it. Have you tried after straightening it getting like a Revlon big barrel curler and curling it? My hair is kinda like that too. Go get a curler and that new 24 hour body I think by tresseme. Spray a little volumizer and curl from the root. This will add more body and volume to your hair.