Are you a fashion victim?

Looking through the style magazines, or watching makeover shows on TV, it's obvious that when they tell women they must wear this or that to stay in fashion, they are being manipulative.

Even though a women could be comfortable with a particular style, she may be forced into something else by what is available in the shops-when a style goes out of fashion, those garments are no longer available. It seems to be less of a problem for men because their fashions don't really change that much.

If I was a woman, being forced to change in this way would really annoy me. I want to know if it annoys you too.

Most Helpful Girl

• I really HATE fashion! Fashion to me is just something that people follow to stay with the in crowd I mean I hate shopping! If I had a choice I would destroy all those stupid magazines that manipulate you in how a girl should dress and look like these days - and all guys do is just want girls who are with the in crowd and in those magazines, I mean honestly tell me would a guy look at a girl if she was wearing baggy jeans and a baggy shirt? (By baggy I mean jeans that aren't in style - loose jeans and a shirt a loose shirt not that's hanging and flowing on you cause clothes such as these days are described as baggy) trust me I've tried doing that matter of fact I dress like what I just described everyday and when in cases such as these I try to get through a crowd and there are these tall guys coming my way - its like they don't see me they bump into me and go oh I'm sorry I didn't see you there! I mean hello - my height trust me isn't a problem I'm 5'1'' so trust me it isn't the problem cause Ive seen girls who are 4'9'' and when they wear something tight and skimpy all guys do is stare and make way for them - and yes I've seen that happen in front of me - but I'll still dress the way I dress now I truly don't care what people think of me yes if I'm at work I would definitely have to wear something nice but in public I would just dress like me cause I'm comfortable in it!!!

What Girls Said 6

• I pretty much wear whatever I want. I don't buy in to fashion trends all that much. Like Ugg boots are just hideous to me. I'm pretty sure they're not "in" style like they were a few years ago, but I still see girls wearing them. It's even worse when I see girls wearing mini skirts with them. It's just horrible. Also, granny sunglasses bother me. Miu miu dresses. I could go on. I'm not big on fads, but I do like better made clothes. So that means I do shop at stores like J. Crew or Gap, but those stores carry a lot of timeless styles. I can never go wrong with basic tees and jeans though!

• I agree Ugg boots are truly ridiculous and yes especially with mini skirts

• I've been wearing some of the same clothes (especially shirts) for. Jeez, probably 10 years. And I'm only 23. I HATE shopping. I'm short and petite, which is pretty much nonexistent - when you see the hot, skinny models, they've had those clothes stuck on them with pins and staples. They don't actually fit small people. I also like functioning pockets. Which rarely happens in women's clothing. I miss jean cargo pants. I should have bought more when they were in style. Also, I like jeans that don't look and feel like they were painted on to me. If I have to bounce around the room trying to pull them up, I am annoyed.

Sorry, you found my soapbox. :P Also, I am apparently incapable of appropriately matching colors. Guys can get away with it, but boy will women get weird looks and whispers. So if I have to look nice, I have someone else pick out my clothes. Because it's so much less annoying.

• I was for a long time. Had a very sick addiction to the Miss Sixty label, partially because it was "in", but mostly because a lot of their pants are made to go with high heels and I'm 5'10" so if I wore them with flats they looked the right length. I think the inseams are like 36" rather than 32" or 33" which are standard. That said, eventually reality kicked in and I realized that paying that kind of money for pants was ridiculous even for the "right fit", so I shopped around a lot and eventually found a couple of stores which sell my jeans length at a reasonable price.

The trend of the minute I can pass on, but I wouldn't ever pass on having clothes that fit my body properly. If that means I'm still a fashion victim, so be it.

• It does get annoying. I tend to keep and re-tailor the clothing I like for a few years, and look in unique shops for clothing I love. Some styles don't completely disappear.

• "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every 6 months" ~Oscar Wilde

Yup! I'm a "fashion victim. " If I rip a shirt or pair of pants, I keep wearing it. If I get motor oil trickled on my clothes, eh. Adds character. I hate shopping, especially for clothes. So if it don't look like crap to me, who cares what anyone else thinks!

• At times I get frustrated if I don't have the money to keep up with trends, or the stuff I *want* to wear don't look good on me. That's just the exception though, most of the time I like it. I love getting dolled up and shopping. It's fun!

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah, The only time they got it right was when they brought back short skirts in the 90's. , circa early 70's. Those flowing ankle length dresses of the 80's were a fashion disaster! (Midi skirts? )

The pointy shoes are ghastly now! Just my input.!

• I always experiment with different styles, including current ones, if only to mock it .