What's the appeal of expensive watches?

Guys, how much attention do you give to the watch you're wearing (brand, strap, etc)? (If you wear a watch at a daily basis, that is..)

Girls, do you pay attention to a guy's watch? And how important are good quality watches to you?

See, I never understood how someone could be willing to pay a gazillion dollars for a watch. Me, I can't even tell the difference between a Rolex and a "Bolex" lol I mean, they all look similar and the difference (that makes these "good quality" watches cost 100.000 more) is way too small for me to notice at a glance anyway. It's not really an investment to me..

Somebody help me unmderstand? Or is it just a business strategy thing?

0|0
3|5

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. I like watches alright
    2. I am an expensive chap (born that way, any shop anything I touch has to be the or one of the most expensive one there & that is w/o looking at the price tag lol). I like my women that way too expensive, brand conscious and demanding but don't have anything against one who isn't that way but I need her to be demanding which I guess is easy and natural for a woman :D :D :D :D
    3. Watches, pens, cars, suits etc I like some class in them, it's not about the price but the quality & brand

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Watches are a way certain classes of men compete quietly with each other.

Generally speaking these guys are only interested in mechanical watches. In that world, complications and precision cost real money to pull off still.

Rolexes are not anywhere near the top of that world. Rolex build its reputation on building rugged sport watches (good cases).

If I had tens of millions, I might be tempted by a high end watch. As it is, that's a luxury I don't even consider.

i wouldn't want a replica watch. I don't mind having a reasonably priced brand, but I don't want some fake.

There exist categories of watches known as 'poor man's watches', which are sort of watch-snob accepted relatively inexpensive watches. They're sort of the honda civics of the watch world... not going to impress someone who drives a ferrari, but he's not going to be thinking 'what were you thinking buying that crap'.

0|0
    0|0
  • I usually spend about 50 bucks on a watch. Water proof, digital, date, dark colour, and preferably a velcro strap are my only stipulations pretty much. Also that it fits my wrist.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like Orient watches, they are non battery powered automatic watches and they are made in Japan. That's why I like those anyways. I bought one for $170 and another for $95. I rather not pay so much for one, but I rather go for quality.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like watches. I have no idea why. I have one that is one of a kind and completely custom. I guess it's one of my guilty pleasures.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• I don't pay attention to them. However, expansive watches have many benefits.

-The last longer
    -have extended warranties compared to cheap watches
    -Set a higher social status
    -Can be traded for money or other goods.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're buying yourself stuff like an expensive watch, car, yacht, etc. not for your own personal enjoyment but for other people, whether it be to impress, flaunt your own wealth, to get laid, whatever... you're doing it wrong.

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but most of us buy expensive watches because we enjoy them and we appreciate the craftsmanship involved in producing these tiny, wearable, mechanical machines.

Source: http://www.ringsforwomen.org/

0|0
    0|0
  • I love my Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 17; love some luxury breitling diamond watches... check this rsdwatches. com

0|0
    0|0