Big scratchy curls only at bottom of my long hair after brushing?

This has only started occurring after brushing since my hair has grown a few cm past armpit length. At the bottom is big and scratchy while above contains weak form and lays flatter. My hair usually has even medium waves/ringlets from above the ear line down, which I like.

Is there any way I can prevent this when brushing? (I keep my hair completely natural, no hair dryers or anything and it is usually fine). I brush from the bottom up then go through my hair with the brush again (when it's dry) and comb my hair in the shower to remove loose hairs and untangle it (very gently, don't loose much at all). Thanks!

Most Helpful Girl

• Try argan oil on the tips. To keep my waves nice I like brush it wet and towel dry it a bit and go to sleep with sock curls

• Thanks! Could you give me a link for the sock curl thing? this is very helpful

What Guys Said 1

• No, you can't prevent it when brushing, but you can trim off your split ends. I also recommend Tresemmé Anti-Breakage shampoo & conditioner; it really helps. (And, no, I don't work for them).

• My hair is 30" long: I'm a metalhead and a Norseman, so I take great pride in my hair: my strength.

What Girls Said 5

• Hair that has any sort of wave or curl in it should not be brushed (especially not when dry!), and should only be combed with a wide-tooth comb while wet and full of conditioner. That prevents breakage and keep the waves/curls in tact without causing frizz.

Check out Naturallycurly. com. It has a lot of information for both wavy and curly haired people. You can learn how to give your hair the most optimum care.

• I disagree. I only have slight curls in my hair and brushing them turn them into smooth waves. I don't even suffer from frizz, apart from in humid or wet days.

• It's called split ends or damaged dead hair that needs to be cut of. I guess you could leave conditioner on your ends or use a repairing serum but you'll step end up needing to cut them off.

• When's the last time you got a trim? Sounds like you probably just have a problem with split ends. Even if you want to grow your hair out you should still trim it every few months to keep the split ends away because they can dry out your hair.

• I don't have split ends though, I had my hair cut like a month ago anyway. After I had a shower to wash my hair the other day, the ends of my hair stopped bunching up like it was so I guess the ends were just lacking moisture. lol

• You should just shower in the morning and brush it after you've dried it a little then don't mess with it that way you won't have to brush through the curls after theyve... Puffed back up. I don't know how to word that. Oops

• You just need to get it trimmed.