Is it OK for a college professor to wear shorts and/or flip-flops?

As a TA and lab instructor I've always worn shorts and flip-flops during warm weather (which is most of the year here in central California), which is commonly accepted since I'm still a student myself. But next semester I may be actually teaching one or more courses at the same University that I am graduating from this semester. As far as I know, there is no specific dress code enforced for faculty, as I've had multiple professors wear shorts and sandals in the past. Assuming there is no specific dress code for faculty, what would be your opinion on this? As a student, would it bother you if you had a professor that wore shorts and/or flip-flops?

• Shorts and flip-flops are OK
  • Shorts are OK, but they should be worn with shoes
  • Flip-flops are OK, but they should be worn with jeans
  • Neither are OK

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's fine. I had a prof once who didn't wear shoes at all. It was weird but he has worked there for like 15+ years doing it soooo...

• Thanks for most helpful!! Rock those shorts and flip flops!!!

What Girls Said 5

• i would rather my professor be in slacks and dress shoes everyday because that is more professional, but that probably isn't normal. if the university doesn't enforce a dress code, then i'd say wear whatever you want, though.

• Try looking at it like this: you are teaching students and therefore expected to be professional. If I were teaching and had bright purple hair, how many of my students would take me seriously? Shorts are ok to wear but flip flops are a no-no from a teacher. (It's also a work health and safety issue where I am). Sandals are different to flip flops, you could wear dressy sandals and that would be ok :)

• i really could care less.

• Dress-y shorts like golf shorts or something would be OK by me. In my experience I have seen grad students that were teaching classes as well as full professors wear less than professional dress, I would personally go with "dressy casual". Overall, if the person knows their stuff they will have my respect as a professor regardless of what they are wearing but there is definitely something to say about looking presentable. .

• Dress professionally, with that your students will respect you

What Guys Said 2

• I've seen professors come to class like that. It does look kind of unusual and weird at first, but I don't notice or care after a little bit since I don't care how they dress. I'm not there to rate how professors dress or look in general.

• An hour later I wouldn't even remember what you were wearing.