Why do guys actually rate girls on their looks?

everyone knows guys do it.. but i don't understand what the scores actually mean.. like no one can be like a 1 or a 2 or like a 10 because thats perfection.. !! since all guys are rating girls now that makes me nervous with what i am and I'm sure there are plenty of girls out there that feel the same ):

www.flickr.com/photos/115202726@N05/

that is me.. feel free to rate.. and if you do decide to "rate" me please be honest i guess! Thanks

*And to the people that think I'm doing this for attention.. you can think that all you want.. as least i have the guts to ask the question because i am sure at one point in your life you thought the same exact thing about yourself.

Am i too skinny? Because that seems to be the responses im getting

Most Helpful Guy

• I already noticed on the last question you've posted and assigned you an arbitrary "attractiveness" category but no exact number. I have a hypothesis that no 5 exists on the 1-10 scale and, if it does, this type of girl would have to have personality considered. I use the number scale like this:

Attractive?
    Yes: 6-10
    No: 1-4
    Undecided: 5

I also believe that personality may be taken to account in a +/- way usually only allowing the girl to deviate 1-2 but can sometimes turn a 10 into a flat zero.

Now to get into the specifics. We all have preferences and, when someone is nearly identical to what we're looking for, they're assigned 8-10. This doesn't mean the girl is PERFECT but certainly perfect enough. When someone is considered only slightly attractive, they are 6-7. The exact same works in the opposite direction.

I try not to assign numbers without taking personality into account but, based on physical appearance, I have no choice but to give you an 8 and leave the last 2 points open for personality.

What Guys Said 25

• Well, it's a subjective opinion. It's not like anyone scientifically measures someone (Hmm, well according to the hotoscope, she rates a 7.32 but that machine hasn't been calibrated lately. Using the sexigraph, however, she rated an astonishing 8.4 on the Michelson scale, but only an 8.1 on the Fujita scale...and hotologists are really debating which scale is more accurate). Sorry, just trying to add some levity.

I get it, Alliecheer. You're very self conscious about your appearance, possibly to the point where it's causing self esteem issues. Yes, we've all felt insecure about our appearance at one point or another, myself included. You want to know what I think? I think you're pretty and I believe you've heard that many times before. You seem to go to great lengths to make yourself attractive. Good for you. It's paid off.

Now, what about your heart and mind, my dear? Seeing as how you've got the physical attraction, what are you doing about Alliecheer's personality? I noted your profile says you're fun, but you have insecurities. Maybe you should focus more on the insecurities. Talk to a trusted mentor or a friend. See if you need to address those issues. See what you can do about them, if you have to.

You take care now.

• I don't really rate girls, but there are some things I look for.
    First thing is dress. Not how 'cute' what they are wearing is or whatever, I have no idea how you guys decide that... but the care that went into picking it out. In my mind, at least, a girl in a nice dress and brushed hair beats one in short shorts and a tanktop. Doesn't have to be a full blown make up session or anything, just care.

Second isn't much harder. Hygiene. Sorry... but I suppose you girls expect it of us, so it is fair enough. Doesn't matter how pretty you are to me without it.
    Third is attractiveness. I have moved around quite a bit, and there are a lot of beautiful girls out there. At this point it isn't so high a priority, as much as the others listed, but be assured, it IS still there. However, even a moderately pretty girl can beat out a beautiful one if she takes care of herself.
    Fourth, personality. Blah blah blah, we all say that- lies... nope. As I said, there are plenty of beautiful girls out there, and quite a few in my current environment. One of the biggest pluses out there is being able to hold a non-shallow conversation on your own. I am really not all that impressed by someone who has no true interests in anything, or knows nothing about what they do like. It doesn't even have to be something I like, just please... have a hobby. Being a nice person helps as well, considerate of others, etc... Of course my fellow males are not so good at being chivalrous of late either... It isn't dead, quite a few of us guys try to be classy just because we can. Back on track though, being more than skin deep is a very big part of how attractive you are.

Last is a bit touchy, but I am more attracted to girls with a similar moral standard as my own. Just preference. So yeah, you are very attractive. Would be a bit more so with clothing

• Here's my perspective based on my social circle.

Think of the numbers game like the way they calculate scores at the Olympics. We each have our own opinion and sometimes we agree.

My friends and I would think you were jailbait. If I showed your pictures to a friend he'd think I was a perv. I feel awkward being a hetero guy who's giving looks/fashion advice to a girl. But here's my opinion.

Try looking not older, but more mature.
    It's hard to tell based on the pictures, but at your age use very little makeup, you still have a youthful appearance and don't need much.

I'm going to use the term "jailbait" jokingly.

In this picture you look like jailbait. A lot of guys would think you're under 18.

flickr.com/photos/115202726@N05/12091941296/in/photostream/
    This one too flickr.com/photos/115202726@N05/12091919456/in/photostream/

Don't get me wrong, you got a bangin' body and a nice tummy. But avoid wearing stuff that shows it off too much. Instead wear clothes that fit that area nice, like the way this fits you in that area. flickr.com/photos/115202726@N05/12091654624/in/photostream/

Try wearing dresses but avoid anything really girly or frilly.
    Wait until you're older then look younger ;)

• To me 7-8. To another guy 9 or 10, to another guy 2-3.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    guys are visual and we think in those terms a lot.
    however, looks are only part of a person. and in a long term relationship your partner only needs to be just attractive enough to turn you on, the rest is wasted because it is about who they are as a person.

• No one wants to see you in underwear, have some fucking self-respect.

• Whether a guy would rather see more weight on you or not is an opinion. In saying not everyone will agree so it's pointless to try and convince people. I personally think you look healthy and good how you are. You're a good looking girl, but you are more than your looks though.

• People can moan about the scale.

You're an 8 given your age.

That always means 7-9 depending on a guys tastes.

Compatibility does effectively boost rating a point or two.

• You're very pretty! Dont worry about it. Ill be honest, looks do count but its only a part of it. Not all guys only think one way. Attitude is huge too. Would I be with an average girl with a great attitude/personality? Hell yes! Would I be with a perfect 10 who's a biotch? Hell no!! Try pursuing different guys. You'll be happier in the end. :)

• Id give you an 8 overall. You are naturally thin but you still have curves. You're really pretty...don't be so self consious!

• You're like a 7.

• I never give a girl a number answer. I always say " your a perfect beautiful out of beautiful" because your the perfect you and beautiful. You are honestly beautiful

• yeah but it seems like you call every girl beautiful then

• All woman are beautiful, the great thing about it is that every one of you is unique, so that means you all own a unique beauty that can't be copied by any other girl

• beautiful comment!!!

• There has to be SOME way to differentiate tastes in anything from one vs another.

That's the reason why anything is ranked; However keep in mind that each "ranking" of anything varies from person to person.

• Not a fan of the numbers rating myself. You're an objectively good looking and attractive girl for sure. Not necessarily my type, but my opinion is just one of many. :)

• Because for us, it is an easy and objective score to make.

• you're attractive but you like to show off way to much for me to ever take you seriously.

• girls do the same. i hear girls not only calling guys, 2's, 3's, yada yada, but also calling them ugly. guys don't want to see you calling him or any other guy ugly. it ain't attractive. i dont rate women, it ain't cool

• You ask a good question. I really don't know why people rate other people, esp. guys rating girls, because that rating is subject to change based on many internal factors such as interest and mood. Hm.

• My honest rating 7.6/10

• yes we do and ur a perf 10

• You need to put some weight on, you're too skinny.

• Its a teenage thing. 1 is really ugly 10 is unbelievably beautiful

• What gives a girl a 10 is there attitude.

• is that ugly girl you?

• When the question gets asked how hot we think someone is, the most logical way to answer it is by rating them on a number scale. It is simply a way to let someone else know how attractive we think that person is. I normally don't bother with rating unless someone asks me to rank them, or someone asks how hot I think someone is. I simply don't know how to describe it better.

That said the ratings don't really mean what you think they do. It is based on personal preference, and her number could change based on things like clothes, makeup, and how horny the guy is at the time. It is just about how hot we think you are in that moment.

You are very pretty. If guys are not approaching you, it is most likely you either aren't noticing the guys talking to you are actually interested, or that you are sending out a vibe that is telling men you don't want them to approach you. Rejection hurts so a girl needs to learn how to make a man feel comfortable. If your body language is telling him you feel uncomfortable, he will most likely think you want him to leave before asking you out.

• 8 out of 10

• Guys have to be attracted to you to approach you. If the score is acceptable then they will try to talk to you. Also, guys want the best looking girl with the least mileage/baggage.

1st - Looks is attraction and gets the guys attention to come to you

2nd - Personality is what keeps the guy with you after you have gotten his attention.

• well guys don't really approach me so i must be real low

• You are good looking with a great bod! Better looking then most of my Ex's. I would absolutely approach you if I was your age again.

• I would give you an 8

What Girls Said 11

• All you're doing is degrading yourself. No guy is going to look at those pictures and respect you. I'm not trying to be harsh, just real. You need to develop some respect for yourself and your body, because you are way too valuable as a person to post pictures of your half naked body for the whole world to see.

You're cheapening yourself, and when guys see pics like that they view you as the type of girl they could easily hit and quit. A one night stand. A loose girl. And you may not even be like that, but trust me, those pics are not screaming "I respect myself and expect you to respect me as much as I respect myself." If you want to be respected then you have to treat yourself with respect, first.

By dressing in skimpy clothes (heck, barely any clothes at all) and inviting others to "rate" your body, you are selling yourself very short and appearing as if you are a slut (which, by definition, means a woman with several casual sex partners). You may not even be a slut, you may even be a virgin! But that's the type of image you are creating for yourself with those pictures. And guess what? Now they're on the internet and you can never get them off.

• It seems like your confidence revolves around your body and your looks, which is definitely not a good thing. Self- confidence comes from within, never from how "sexy" or attractive someone is. And on top of everything else, (just honest advice) you are objectifying yourself by posting half- naked pictures online for everyone to "rate" you like you're some item from a store. Please respect yourself. You're beautiful and you should honor it instead of put it out there for anyone to "rate."

• I feel very personally about this because I hate how shallow some men are, and I know that sometimes we girls tend to judge ourselves harshly due to what these shallow, narrow minded guys have to say. Don't tell em to rate you! Who cares about their ratings! Ur beautiful!

• You are extremely skinny!! You are beautiful darling, just please please please work hard to be healthy and be comfortable in your skin, whether you are at the weight you are now or 10 pounds heavier. <3 And be careful about how much value you give numbers, I wouldn't think too much about the numbers people give you as your "rating"..

• I'm not a guy but really pretty, 8.5/10. Don't listen to the haters by the way , if you want to post pics then post them.

Too skinny? No but you could stand to gain 5-10 pounds anyway.

• i'm not into girls or anything haha but I found this post so here is my opinion, 9.5/10.. you are pretty and I like your outfit :P but I took out 0.5 because you are skinny :) but you are perfect don't care about others' opinions LOL

• A solid 8.

• Your face is okay but your body is too thin (you look sick) and lacking in curves. It looks like the body of an 11 year old boy to me...

• looks like a normal body to me... maybe ur fat

• you need to back off, because she was stating her opinion. Go find someone else to bully- @helloyes

• Lol helloyes, you offended the fat people :D

• In all honesty, I don't think that is very respectful to yourself. You are objectifying yourself by doing that, and giving permission to all guys on here, sleazy older men included, to perv on you, and you are giving them power over you to criticize, judge your body/looks. I personally wouldn't give them this right.
    You're clearly a beautiful girl. And any guy worth knowing will consider you as beautiful, as a whole package, rather than an object to judge and categorise as just a number.
    You are so much more than just an object to be judged by filthy minded men.
    Not all of them are so shallow.

• no i know what you mean! i know i am more than a number but I'm just curious you know?

• Yeah I know what you mean. I think they're just shallow sleazy men wanting to have power over women by giving them "scores" as if they are no less than objects or animals.
      Believe me, you're very pretty. But I think you should remove the photo's, you're just giving those shallow men more opportunity.

• You can still ask the question without the link.

• Out of 10 ill give you 5-6

• well i don't mind your rating because I'm not gay so i only really care about guys opinions

• Ummm, so only gay or guys can rate? Well im not gay as well, but thats just my opinion

• First are you anorexic? bulmic? Those photos don't look healthy?

• recovering anorexic.. and I'm not too skinny… I'm 5'1

• godfatherfan that is a really dangerous thing to say. If you want to know why I say that read this article: www.psychologytoday.com/.../shes-not-skinny-is-she
      It's a short read but it is REALLY important, you can't judge how healthy a recovering anorexic is by how she looks.
      I'm really sorry to hear about your illness, I too struggled with anorexia, recovering from it was probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

• I read the story and I'm glad I did. It's honest and t

• you a hoe.

• Its her choice , its none of your business :)

• Haha this wasn't supposed to be funny but made me laugh, Anon.

• sorry boo i still love you. we all have our inner hoe