Are good looks born or made? How much does genetics play a role in attractiveness vs. putting an effort into looking good?

Perhaps this is a variant on nature vs. nurture. On a scale of one to ten, one being completely due to genetics and nature and ten being completely due to an effort to make one's self look good, rate if beauty is born or made.

I'd rate it at about a 4.5.

Most Helpful Girl

• Beauty is both born and made. All babies are "beautiful" but I mean, if they don't keep up their appearance, then they become unattractive. It feels good to be around others with good hygiene. I read somewhere that your life experiences is what constructs your face to look the way it does when you are grown up. lol...it was an interesting read.

What Girls Said 1

• Honestly, it depends. I know females who don't look good without makeup. They look very plain and average. Then when they put on a full face of 'natural' makeup they look great. I also know females who are beautiful without makeup, they look flawless. Then when they put on makeup they don't look as good, they look as if they're trying hard to look good, which doesn't make any sense because they look so good (even better) without makeup.

So yeah, I don't think this is a black-and-white thing. Genetics are certainly important and most women that I think are beautiful are beautiful with minimal or no makeup. I don't think that women who look great with a full face of makeup on are truly beautiful, you shouldn't need much enhancement if you're already gorgeous, naturally, due to genetics.

What Guys Said 2

• I would rate it around a 5ish myself. I mean, if I am not physically attracted, there is not much to be done. On the other hand, a perfectly average person can easily step up their game just by taking care of themselves and dressing decently. On the slant though, a very beautiful young woman can easily repulse me with poor choices and a lack of care in appearance.

It is only natural to be attracted to someone who takes care of themselves. I put an effort to dress and look better (I wasn't horrible before, but... *shrug*) and it has made a large difference in how I am perceived by both genders, even with just a slight change. Guys think I am cooler, girls... I don't know , but they talk to me more.

So I guess it works both ways.

• Beauty is 90% birthright and 10% effort.