What are your thoughts on skin lightening?

I'm in the process of changing my body ad overall appearance, and I'm kind of bored with my skin complexion. I really wish I could be either much darker (like Alek Wek or Lupita Nyongo) or lighter (and not the boring middle color I am). Being that it'd be easiest to make myself lighter, I've been considering doing it. Do you think it'd be wrong/bad/ugly to do?

And NO, I don't hate myself or hate being black...

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the method.If it is safe then nothing wrong with that. But if you want to go for bleaching I don't really suggest you to do so. Bleaching can be harmful for your skin. You can try taking supplement (pills) like vitamin C with collagen. It works fine for me.

What Guys Said 8

• Look, although I'll grant you that you made great, intelligent, and socially valid points to that ass down there, I still don't think that you should do it. The unfair truth is that it's easier and naturally possible for a white person to darken the color of their skin (as it is for a black person to darken his or hers), but the converse (blacks or whites lightening their skin) isn't possible naturally. Therefore, all those claims made my product makers (many of which hasn't been truly tested or used for very long) aren't valid or safe. The consequences of messing this up could be devastating and ever-lasting to the point of possibly ruining your life. in my opinion, there isn't anything at all wrong with your skin complexion and you're very attractive just the way that you are.

• The idea is just fucking retarded. If you want to know, the only reason I like pale white women is because of whatever genetic predispositions they have, not because of their skin color or aesthetics. Whatever you do to change your natural appearance it is more likely to mess it up than do any good. Take plastic surgery, nosejobs, toner, makeup. Men like red bright lipstick because women rather put that on when they want sex, not because it looks good. Anything you do to make yourself feel better about your appearance without increasing your heath (e.g. by exercise) actually never truly improved it but only made it worse or no difference at all. Cultural delusions and self-confidence issues, that's what it is. A black woman making herself whiter, what the fuck?

• But it's okay for a white girl to make herself darker? What's the difference?

• You are so...misinformed. Like, I don't even know where to start, so I won't bother.

• That's because I am not misinformed but just speaking my mind on socially accepted cultural practices that are mostly irrelevant but don't really made any sense to begin with.

• Wouldn't darker be easier? Shows what I know.

Personally I'm pretty indifferent to skin tones. It sounds like you're just bored with yours. I wouldn't mess around with it, because I suspect anything you do to your skin will make it less healthy. "Great skin" isn't a certain colour, great skin is healthy moist, smooth and glowing. Aim for that. You want to change up your look, style your hair different or wear different clothes or makeup.

• I don't know, I've really never heard of it except this one Asian girl im friends with on FB (have no idea how) who is always going on about skin lightening products, I think she's like a saleswoman or something

• Im against it; it comes off as self-hating, as well as damaging to your own skin.

• I wish i could get darker:/ i only burn though..

• I think it damages your skin, kinda like when you get too much sun and then you get freckles.

• Here is one thing I am very sure of. If you are not happy with yourself, changing something about yourself such as your tone isn't going to make up for what is making you unhappy. Same applies to boredom.

What Girls Said 7

• Don't do it you don't want to end up as pale as Michael Jackson!!!

• Lmao I know how to do it safely and without over-lightening like MJ or Vybz Kartel

• You know you don't have to do this I saw your picture you're really pretty. I understand that you're bored with your skin tone but you're beautiful the way you are. And no I'm not talking a bunch of crap to make you feel better about yourself or less bored with it. Its the truth =)

And if you still want to change your tone and be less bored about it go out during the summer stay out all day. TURST your tone will change a lot and you won't get bored with that color either because you'll be different tones as it begins to fade away.

Trust me I know I'm very pale for a black girl and I'll be caramel during the summer. Lol

But if your mind us made up Good Luck to you I hope you'll like your results =)

• I think it's crazy. Those are all chemicals which will ruin your skin - something you may never be able to get back...

• I have never had any experiences with skin lightening, so I can't say that I know how it works or anything. Just keep in mind that it is very easy to damage your skin. Even people who tan a lot can do a lot of damage to their skin even though they think they take enough precautions. Just make sure that you know that this is what you want to do, ultimately it's your decision in the end. I looked at your photo and your skin looks gorgeous right now to me. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

• It is your choice. .as long as u like

• It can't just be that you're bored, it has to be something else. The minute you find out what the real reason is, then maybe you'll decide against it. And yes, its wrong and yes its unattractive and potentially ugly. You know exactly how awful you could look, I mean look at Kartel...

• It's so annoying when people try to psychologically evaluate you based of something so basic...I guess this is why most people don't tell anyone

• no, no and no...just NO!!

• Don't mistreat your skin, it is another organ in your body and changing its color like that is not an improvement. I would think it is wrong because lightening or darkening would be anyway a damage more so with lightening because you never know what the consequences will be and it will look bad, spotted and then you will have to apply make up anyway.