Guys - do you ever feel like you need to be as perfect looking as some of the male celebrities?

Since I know women feel like they need to be perfect (because of the media, celebrities, bla bla bla), do you, as guys, ever feel that way?

Examples:

cdn01.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/.../...nd-09052009-01.jpg

favim.com/.../...jensen-ackles-Favim.com-43096.jpg

3.bp.blogspot.com/.../...lden-Globes-Weekend-1.jpg

1.bp.blogspot.com/.../young+johnny+depp+00.jpg
. . .

AND - do you feel like you are under more or less pressure than women (regarding this topic)?

P.S.
Just posted some male celebrities...typical examples of Hollywood foxiness...

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah at times. For me in particular I always feel like I'm chasing rainbows when it comes to making an attempt to be more appealing to girls. I was never one for getting into fads, dressing for girls, going to the gym for girls, or that general attitude that young guys have where girls are their sole priority lol. Lately, I've been making an effort to present myself better to people in general while still doing what I like.

My biggest "flaw" is that my facial hair growth is light- similar to how Hispanic men grow facial hair, that's me (minus the Hispanic part). So I can never get that sought after "stubble look", which is unfortunate but alright.

I workout for me, but have been dressing to show it off a little more as a side effect. Girls like slim guys...no they like toned guys...no they like a guy that looks like he can take care of himself and her easily...no they like skinny guys...no, they can like any guy for his personality. I don't know what's the deal with all that, so I don't really know what "standard" seems to be encompassing enough.

Girls like tall guys. Well I'm 5'10" which is taller than most girls out there...but then there are plenty of taller guys than me. It's the average height of US males, but something tells me the ACTUAL average is closer to 6 foot, because I see a lot of them.

Hair styles- I keep mine tight and clean because that's how I like it and how it's most comfortable. Girls seem to like the messy hair look, which I don't think I'm willing to grow my hair out for.

I'm not nearly as suave and charming as Hollywood guys seem to be, though they understandably get more practice at it. I'm charming about half the time which feels great, but I can't help but feel kind of drab in comparison.

I'm more introverted than extroverted. Even introvert celebs make it work for them, but they also have more going for them.

And as for comparing it to women, I honestly can't answer that because I don't know what it's like.

• I should correct, I don't ALWAYS feel like I'm chasing rainbows. I should have mentioned that I feel that once I start actually comparing myself in order to see where I need to take myself.

But I don't always feel like this. I'm much more secure than I seem lol

• This is a great answer...and yes, women don't know what they want...that's our curse. I think you should dress and exercise and act the way that makes you feel most comfortable. If you're comfortable with yourself, others will be as well.

• This is a really good answer. I like it. Thanks for sharing man.

What Guys Said 13

• i think guys are generally less affected by this, be it by nature or some underlying social structure. But i don't think we are unaffected. All it takes is one girl to talk to us and all interest in conforming to some standard of attractiveness is lost. for girls this doesn't seem to be the case: even if in a stable relationship for 30 years, girls will still get depressed about not looking like a model.

I mean, when I was young I was obsessed with my looks to an extent, but I must admit that this was largely due to the fact that girls were obsessed with their looks. For some reason my young self got the idea that a good way to attract women was to emulate them.

This obsession over looks in women could be because society teaches us that appearance is more important for women, but the question that must be answered if anyone is ever to attempt to address the double standard is "how does society teach us this?" The answer is not due to unrealistically delicious looking models: because there are male models of the equivalent caliber and men, in general, do not become obsessed with their looks for the rest of their life as a result. Cute models are a symptom of whatever it is that is teaching girls to care about their looks to excess - it isn't the cause. I think some study of this would be a good idea: it could turn out that it's simply in woman's nature to be like this, in which case there isn't really a problem here. Nature is rarely wrong. I would say the problem then becomes the entitlement attitude: people who think they should be able to eat the food-like slop fed to in bulk, but remain petite and soft. That's just fiction. The bodies that you see models walking around in, however, is not fiction. Those are real people with real diets. Granted there is usually some photoshop at play, which we could do without, but even so that's still a symptom.

• No, and thank god, because if I thought that, I wouldn't even bother to leave the house. I'll never be as good-looking as those guys, so I wouldn't stand a chance. LOL.

But I long realized that, while my appearance isn't going to work for every girl, for most, my personality makes up for whatever I lack in physical appearance.

• I felt as if I needed to at least be fit or look as if I was fit. Being fat just wasn't an option, so yeah I guess guys do go through it, but for me, women look amazing, so I don't know why they feel as if they need to improve, because perfection has already been proved, and every time we produce a living being, that is perfection, and for women to be able to produce such a thing, that's perfection in my eyes, x

• Yeah sometimes I think about it. If I devoted myself to being a model like the guys pictured at Abercrombie and Fitch, I probably could look as cut as they do. I don't work out nearly often enough to have that kind of muscle tone though. I don't feel like I'm under any pressure to look that way.

• I do only when I want to live the expectation to actually be famous myself.

I like to let my other half know I'd do anything to live up to her expectations as well.

I'd think girls would have more pressure, but if it's involving me. I'd be in more pressure.

• I'm perfectly happy being imperfect. Don't like the way I look? Oh well. Life is too short to focus on things and compare ourselves to others.
    That said, it'd be nice to walk into a room and feel the panties hit floor. Winning 10 million bucks would be nice as well but not really necessary for my long term happiness.

• I sort of did, until I realized in late 20s I was actually good looking and had been all my life. I literally had ugly duckling syndrome all my life.

• I don't have much of an idea what women find visually attractive apart from being in shape, but yes I have had those types of insecurities.

• No but I feel like I need to stay in shape, dress decently etc. I think women put more pressure on themselves than men do.

• Wth you talkin about? I am dean...

and I do mirinn McCounaugheys bod doe. No homo

• That's a tough one...:/

• Do I personally feel pressure? No, I don't care much what other people think. Don't get me wrong. If I could become better looking, I would. But it's not something that bothers me as such. Do I think other men feel pressure? Yes, and I think this pressure is increasing. Why?

1. It's just not politically to admire or demand female beauty. The same is not true of male beauty. Fat men are just fat. Fat women are 'curvy', 'BBWs', 'real women'. That's just one example.

2. Women are less desperate for sex than men, and men have lower standards than women, which means that an average woman can successfully hold out for a hot man. The greater numbers of women with careers, the huge development of government welfare, and the modern social acceptability of pre-marital sex have really harmed the sex chances of many men, though they've also started harming the relationship and marriage chances of many women, though that development has only really now become apparent, and many still seek to try to explain it away.

• *politically correct

• I think guys and girls feel they same way. Most people feel the pressure to be perfect. It just isn't as acceptable for men to talk about their insecurities.

What Girls Said 1

• I think some guys unfortunately try to live up to what some celebrities look like, others not so much.