What should I do with my boring hair? Any suggestions?

http://i62.tinypic.com/29gokfc.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2dj5icn.jpg

The question is in the question title. I'm bored as hell with my hair. It's very straight and lacks volume, and there is not enough volumizing spray in the world to give it volume.

I thought about putting in highlights, to give it more texture, but since I'm a highlighting and coloring virgin, I have no clue which colors would suit me and how damaging it would be.

Any suggestions are welcome! (Other than to cut it short, because with short hair, I would look like Dora the Explorer).

Most Helpful Girl

• My hair lacks volume too, and usually i get a nice volumizing haircut.
    So i would suggest you going to a salon and getting one of those edgy volumizing haircuts, if you don't mind getting it cut short (perhaps these examples won't make you look like Dora), get one of these http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/trends/fine.html (Low and Steep, Mane Accessories, Beachy Curls) You could add highlights to it like the one shown in cheekbone spotlight.
    http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/trends/thin.html (Curl Booster looks good) Layers would help make your hair look thicker.
    You could get a graduated bob haircut and highlight it.
    For medium lengths you could try one of these www.latest-hairstyles.com/medium/layered.html (Red Rocker, Layered Texture, Blonde Ambition, Daring Diva, Subtle Sophistication)

What Guys Said 17

• I checked this out and I think it'll do you a lot better if you try it just in case you already haven't :)

www.marieclaire.com/.../virtual-hairstyle-makeovers

• Here ya go. It's a virtual makeover. You can upload your pic and redo your hairstyle and colour, makeup. Change your eye colour and size. Same with your lips. Pretty much whatever you want.

http://www.taaz.com/

• Perhaps a suggestion: have you ever tried to tie your hair up, like this?
    stacytm.deviant....com/.../Slightly-Twisted-Ballerina-Bun-310024504
    Combined with some of the expert colour advise of the fellow answerers, this could be it :-)

• I generally don't like to tie my hair up. I only do it for practical purposes. So I need something that would look good even if I let my hair loose =)

• Well, I suddenly got the inspiration too google for "hairstyles for Asian girls". Feel free to try, you'll get hundreds of inspiring pictures!

• I don't know why you hair is boring to begin with.

• I've been looking like that for 10 years now. Time for a change :)

• That's cool. I wouldn't say it's boring, but I understand the want for change.

• Ok.. I have always wondered what you looked like (this is a new ID for me). You hair is not boring, in the photo you have what appears to be natural low lights and high lights, variations of tones etc. Just wear you hair in different ways play with it a bit. You are beautiful anyway, so don't go messing too much with it !

• What was your username before? Do I look like anything you expected? Lol
      I put a bit of reddish color some time ago, but I don't know about natural highlighs and lowlights.. Thanks! :) I guess I'm looking fo a more permanent change, something that doesn't require me to stand in front of the mirror for too long!

• Your hair is so nice, why do you wanna do anything about it? Red maybe? xD

• Red stripes, maybe?

• Get a Mohawk

• how about some highlights? Maybe some auburn?

• is auburn = reddish / orangey?

• oh yea, that would be a nice color for highlights. Thank you!

• Prpblem with any colour of red it goes gingerish within weeks..
      So will end up orange within a month...my daughter also had the red streaks done..it looksgood for a while then hardly noticable

One colour stands out..you'll probably go no...but young lassies are dip dyin hair now..so only tips are being done..pink..blue or purple

• Try stylizing it by curling it or something

• Haha its cute I like it change nothing. =)

• I like it is long, black and has volume

• It doesn't really have volume.. Or at least I want more :)

• But it's not like other girls where is just like dead

"Long hair don't care!"

• Nothing really

• Dye it blonde.

• Gotta see a nude to judge o.p

• shave it all off. bald will be in this summer.

• Enjoy your 3 xpers. Serious answer please.

• 3 xper points? thats it? what a rip.

• do something to get rid of the frizzys. put some kind of streaks of lighter color in it to give it texture and the illusion of depth. nothing extreme. something like a slightly lighter blonde or burgundy.and if that doesn't work take my first suggestion and shave it all off. ha ha.

What Girls Said 41

• You have nice hair, I wouldn't cut it short. Maybe layers if you like that? You could pick some reddish highlights (like this maybe https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/5a/ef/43/5aef43ed61e567d09d39093ef246e0b7.jpg)

About the damaging, ah well, even being in the sun can damage your hair. I dye it every few months, style it every so often but I use the right products (as in: shampoo for coloured hair, conditioner, oils, spray it with a heatprotecting product before styling it, ...) and my hair is okay I guess. It took a while for me to find the right shampoo though, since not every brand is that nice for coloured hairlocks.

• I recently just got my hair colored for the first time as well with some bright blonde highlights in my natural dirty blonde hair, and I really like it -- it's not too drastic yet gives it just the burst of color I was looking for :)

You should totally get some red highlights in your hair, as it would go really well with your brown color, and it would enhance the color overall in the sunlight. People with darker hair tend to look better with red highlights/tint because it contrasts really well with dark to semi dark hair.

I would recommend looking online at some hairstyles/colors you like and then showing them to a good stylist. A person who does hair for a living is more likely to be able to tell what will suit you best and will work with you to give you the perfect hairstyle for your individual lifestyle, personality, etc.

• I love your hair, so silky straight =P Ok, so first, I would get an angled haircut, a little shorter in the back, longer towards the front- it's a bit edgier but you can pull it off. I think the longest your hair should be is halfway down the white of your sleeve- I don't know how else to describe it lol. Similar to the link I posted, but no bangs and a bit longer in the front. I also think you should go for dark red highlights, this kind of red: www.syerasite.com/.../...with-red-highlights-6.jpg

• Thanks, but it mostly just stick to my head, that's all it does haha..

So like a long bob?

• I've never considered a bob before, because shoulder-length hair is annoying because the ends always curl in different directions, so it's kinda high-maintenance. But I like the idea of long in the front. Thanks for suggesting it!

• You could run some mousse through it to get it more unidirectional =] and you're welcome!

• You have same colour of hair as my daughter...she got blonde highlights in her hair..it brightens it up...

Now problem with your hair is it looks thick and heavy...plenty could be done with it..when blow drying hair tip head forward it will make the roots less likely to stay flat...velcro rollers are another that are usually overlooked as well..when studied haircare at college we were forever using them to lift the roots..the huge metal barrel brushes as well..

here's a tip..its time consuming but will work if you have time
    Blast hair till its nearly dry
    Put into small sections clip damp hair out the way
    Get a large brush and instead of brushin flat when drying..put brush to root underneath hair and lift..take dryer out way and hold hair still in brush for a few seconds...repeat till hair is all dry do each section small inch sections...then use velcro rollersput them in at roots use little volumizing spray..then spray with hair spray

Hard to explain on this..but hope you get the jist of it..I've done many heads over the years and kno your plight x

• I agree with the ombre. Make it not an exotic color how about dark brown to light brown? Read reviews on yelp before you step in anywhere.If you read the reviews some may say that the hair stylist knew how to fram their face with a hair cut or knew what color looked best on them.
    I had my hair colored multiple times and I abuse it lol (curling, straighten, tease) I don't have split ends and my hair looks just as healthy. If your afraid of split ends get a shampoo and conditioner that helps with that. (again I recommed always reading reviews first before purchasing)
    Styles you could do: Curl it, Wave it, Braid it on the sides and pull it back to give the half up half down look, there are so many options you can google iy thats how I get my inspirations haha

• Get your stylist to cut in some layers, but keep the length. Add some highlights for the summer. This way you don't go through a drastic change and it will give your hair some texture.

• I'll send you a link to this awesome woman who offers excellent beauty advice.

Explaining facial shapes:
    YouTube-- watch? v=fClIYiQw7ZI

Finding hairstyles that suit your face shape:
    themakeupchair (dot) blogspot (dot) ie/2012/09/hair-styles-for-your-faceshape (dot) html

You have to keep in mind your facial shape and only consider styles that compliment it. Have you considered going shoulder length? Since you want volume, layers will give you that.

As far as coloring goes, you can do it and receive as little damage as possible by depositing colors - colors like burgundies, other hues of brown and black, etc... Since they do not lift your current hair color, you won't get very much damage. Also, consider using color rinses or demi-perminant color if you do not want to commit too long to a color. Another alternative is something you can make at home using honey and cinnamon as a lightener. This is great because it's gradual and it makes your hair healthier! Here is the link: thebeautyplan (dot) com/natural-honey-cinnamon-hair-lightener/

-Licensed cosmetologist

• Google it or search for it online I always get some good ideas sometimes. I wanted to put purple in my hair but don't go nuts with the Purple and make sure it looks nice because it looks like you are a weirdo. There are also hair books you can look threw or magazines that have hair Ideas that are fun or different.

• Hey girl at least your hair is healthy props for that, well you could do some natural high and low lights that would be pretty. Ombre? Try ombre nothing too crazy and over the top, also natural and good transition from the colors will make it look super! Um what about adding bangs not the side bangs that you sway across your forehead like now. Think you could go for a long bob even? That would look cute. :D If you like bold try a dark blue, dark purple, burgundy or dark red. Hope I helped :D

• I know it may be the oldest one in the book, but try ombré. I did it on my hair (similar to yours except rarer) and it brightens up your entire look. Have it done professionally though, don't try to do it yourself. You can end up with hideous yellow tips instead of nice, natural-looking blondish hairs. Alternatively, you can color your tips a more vivid color - this way you don't damage your hair from the stem and still add some personality to the 'do. Red or auburn tips look amazing on brunettes :)

• I think your hair is very pretty and it looks thick and not like its hanging.

if you want add some tones but its really very attractive.:)

• My life changed once I found out about hair tutorials on YouTube...there are so many ways to style hair...

here's my favorite hair guru, her styles are super cute and they would be perfect for your hair

https://www.youtube.com/user/bebexo

• I usually don't have the patience or time or the finger dexterity to do complicated hairstyles lol. In this question I was more thinking about haircuts, etc. that doesn't need much work in the mornings

• Her styles look complicated but they're not...a lot of them only take a couple mins. But oh well, I'm not sure then.

• I really like this hairstyle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJvMxbt-n-g
    the one you see at 0:34
    I think that one could look really good on you.
    Your hair can stay long, thats what you want, so let me know what you think of it?
    (yeah it's YouTube link since I couldn't find a good picture of it)

• Go on YouTube and type in hairstyles for your particular type of hair and you'll get loads of stuff and tutorials which shouls definitely help

• It might suit my hair type, but maybe not my face

• Have you tried searching up what face type you have and then what hairstyles suite? Or you could also try and talk to an online stylist who are sure to give you loads of tips

• I know my face is round and they always advice side-swept bangs, which I'm already sporting for 10 years.
      I've never heard of an online stylists. i'll look it up, thanks ! :)

• Don't color it yet. I have long thick hair too. To start just go to the salon and ask for lots of layers. That alone can make a huge difference.

• Get it layered and Ombre it !!

• layers would suit you

• Firstly I love your hair!! So beautiful and shiny!!

d277vln4jzkhhg.cloudfront.net/.../...mbre-hair.jpg

How about this look with curls on the bottom? It's super sexy.

• Thanks!

That's gorgeous! But I'd rather have more volume on the sides of my head so my face doesn't look that wide :)

• You are welcome but I think soft curls can give u some volume :)

• Yeah I've permed my hair twice already and people have always said it looks good on me. I just want to see if any other thing would look good on me. I'm in that phase where I want to mix thing up and do something I've never done before, you know? :)

• color your hair black and part your hair at the center. i know you want volume but i suggest that after coloring your hair black, you concentrate more on making it very shiny and very straight. this look maybe boring to you though but i think it would good on you. :)

• On you maybe some blonde highlights, or purple tips

• I personally have the same problem. What I do is braid my long hair in two braids. A lot of people find it cute and it helps with an innocent image (helps keep you out of trouble). Then, when I go out with people, I unbraid my hair (its normally wet when it is braided and dry unbraided). This helps with some volume and texture

• Shave it, then you won't have to worry about your boring hair.

• If I were you I'd cut it a little bit shorter and use a cream I have to make beach-looking waves in my hair. I use Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Cream and it creates great-looking waviness like you've just come from the beach!

• I would go for a bob , Long in the front and short in the neck area, It's fresh, playfull and stylish!

• To change up your style without commitment, buy some extentions. U can buy cheap synthetic clipins in a.million different lengths and colors. I have straight thin hair too. Extentions definitely add volume and u can get red or blonde ones to add "highlites" without damaging your hair! I make my own clip ins and cost is under $30 and u can use and reside for a while!

• Good idea, I have dirty blonde clip in highlights, but they always feel so heavy and my hair can't always cover the clips..

• It looks nice what about giving some style? Make it cut, for example

• For you I would say go darker like black, that would look so pretty with red tips at the ends. so cute.

• Maybe a red tint to it? Or ombre would look cute too. :)

• Dye or highlights. If you're unsure of colour and brand that won't damage it etc etc, just go to a hairstylist that can do it for you and give you tips

• More from Girls
    11