Would you care if employers knew you had a piercing / tattoo?

just sort of a random question , wondering would you care if employers knew you had a piercing or tattoo? these days a lot of young people have hidden piercings and tattoo's. girls often have pierced belly button's that are hidden from view and some other piercings are popular as well. tattoo's are also very common and well hidden from view.
would you care if an employer or potential one knew you had something pierced or inked that was not visible during work? mean if you were trying to come across as the " good girl " to get the job would them knowing you had something pierced/inked make you come across as more wild / bad girl type?

• i wouldn't care either way if they knew
  • i'd want to keep these secret from them
  • other please explain

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the job. I was a nanny for two families. One was very religious and strict, the other was easy going and a bit hippie. With the former I covered my tats, with the latter I didn't feel like I needed to.

I should probably note that I have my entire back done with an evil medusa-like design, so it's not like I'm covering a butterfly on my ankle or a heart on my shoulder lol.

I've just finished my law degree so I would definitely cover up my tattoos for any potential employer. While I love them and don't regret them in the least, I do understand they aren't professional.

What Girls Said 16

• My employer knows, doesn't care, is all for 'diversity' in the work place, piercings/tattoos are so common now, I don't even consider it an issue for work. As long as they're non offensive tattoos there's no issue.

• No, I don't care if they know or not. Most of my piercings and one of my tattoos are visible all the time anyway, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was assumed I had some hidden ones as well.

• Of course it depends on the employer, but I most likely won't end up working in a super conservative field anyway.

• All is fine if they're hidden and it doesn't affect your work performance?

Personally I wouldn't get any piercings or tattoos I would feel I'd have to keep a secret from anyone. Too bothersome.
    And most people with those usually like to show them off? Just saying.

• Depends on the job, the work environment, and the boss. If having a tatoo or piercing would mean great chance of me being fired, then I'll do anything I can to hide it. If the boss is more chill and the work environment is not so conservative as well, and my tattoos are usually always hidden behind clothes anyway, then I don't care if they know.

• My tattoo would be in a place hidden by clothing...so they'd never know...

I don't want them to think I am childish or in any way not serious about my job just because I have a tattoo...or a piercing...

• i have my belly button pierced, but that's all. i work with the general public so it would be inappropriate for me to get a tattoo/piercings where others can see it.

• For the most part I keep my tats covered at work. To keep the professional atmosphere

• I don't care & it wouldn't make much of a difference if they did.

• No, I really didn't care.

• I would not care. I have my ears doubled pierced, but no tats. If I had a tat it still would not bother me if my employer knew.

• I wouldn't show it at work so it's irrelevant

• just be your self! and if they start to look at your tattoo just tell them why you got it! I'm sure there was some reason

• Vote C- i dont go for both. the only piercing i have is two ear holes per ear.
    even if i see someone with tattoo, to me is cool, my intern have it on somewhere below her neck.

• I don't care. I have 2 tattoos that are semi-hidden, but can be visible during work hours, depending on what I wear (one is on my leg and the other is on my lower neck). I don't go out of my way to hide them- I love my tattoos, but I got them in places I knew could be covered up if it ever became an issue.
    I tend to come across as the sweet, innocent good girl for god knows what reason. I don't try to project that image, I'd rather be thought professional and worldly, but sweet and innocent tends to be how people see me.
    I don't know that my tats detract from it, but I think it jars some people a bit to discover I have them. I've never had an employer say a thing about it though.
    I think tattoos and piercings are so common now it's become pretty benign unless you have offensive stuff written on you or piercings in odd places (hand, cheek etc.).

• I'm pretty sure my coworkers know about my tattoo, but they may not.
    It doesn't really matter for MY job though, haha!

Previous jobs, I didn't care then either. It's in a place where I'm able to hide it if necessary.

• I have one tattoo, that only my best friends and an ex know details about. Its mine. Nobody is going to see it, at least not in public. As for piercings, nothing crazy. My bosses already know about those.

What Guys Said 10

• A tattoo always means poor judgment. Take notice of the guys who like ink and the ones who don't. What you will notice is one has a promising future and makes things happen and the others with ink will have things just happen to them.

If you worked for my company you would be the first to go.

• I know a lot of very successful people with tattoos. And, a lot a huge losers that have are tattoo free. Whether you have tattoos, or not, has nothing to do with your success. Judge not, lest ye be judged. :)

• I've seen a lot of girls with tattoo's , I've seen some I didn't like of them but in general most were of good taste and not even that visible , it depends where they get it.I don't notice guys with tattoo's as much but a lot do have them and often in more visible locations than women who like to get tattoo's but often in hidden locations

• @ parkway - That is a ridiculous statement.

• When I was younger I had some piercings, not visible, my immediate boss and a bunch of coworkers new, I don't know if top people did.

• If I had tattoos and worked in a more conservative office environment, then I'd want them to be covered (or mostly covered).

• Nope. They know I have many TA2s and my ear pierced 4 times

• It wouldn't matter to me as long as their a nice person i can't be judgmental on them

• I would if it was in an area where they shouldn't know.

• Dont have piercing or tats.

• No one so far has had a problem.

• Piercings are veery bitchy stuff.

• No i wouldn't but if i had massive ear stretchers then i would care