Difference between compliments? Which of these would you rather be and which one holds the most significance to you?

Which of these would you rather be and which one holds the most significance to you? What do all the descriptions mean to you?

Gorgeous
Handsome
Hot
Lovely
Cute
Beautiful
Pretty
Fine
Charming
Adorable
etc etc

I always thought "pretty" is the most significant one.. in English words when you describe someone :) but what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Gorgeous, Lovely, Beautiful, Pretty are typically reserved for women.
    Handsome is typically reserved for men.
    Adorable, Hot, Cute, Fine, and Charming can be used for either gender.

Each has different shades of meaning. I think Gorgeous points at a glamorous side of beauty. Lovely and Pretty are about the same, but Pretty may be slightly more complimentary and Lovely more romantic.

Hot and Fine are terms that are not exactly 'crass', not at all, but definitely more 'unrefined.' It is the words of the proletariat. I don't see elite people talking like that.

Charming accentuates the person's personality more than their physical beauty. Adorable is a mixed term (and sometimes its relative Cute, but seldomly so) -- it can be used in a very non-sexual, non-romantic, non-interested way BUT it can also be used to mean exactly those things (more likely if a woman says it) but less so if a man says it.

I think vernacular is a big issue too. I am using the vernacular of my social class and geographical location. You should get different results in other places...

• Oh! And I forgot to include in my answer which one I like. I'll go with 'Handsome' since its a man's term :P

What Guys Said 2

What Girls Said 5

• Being called hot would make me feel confident and sexy but being called beautiful is an ultimate compliment, loads of girls have 'hot' bodies or are cute or pretty, to be called beautiful (and seem genuine) I would feel proud and charmed.

• I think I'd like to be called cute, charming, beautiful, or lovely. Cute, charming, and lovely seem to be more about personality. I feel as though beautiful is reserved for a combination of an amazing personality and physical attractiveness, and is also probably the term most people use for their significant other when they're in love.

• :) yep yep more personality~but I still like to be called cute :D

• I like "gorgeous" and "beautiful" but it really depends on the delivery of the compliment.

They're all flattering though.

• I deffinetly would like Cute, adorable or pretty. Those sound more girly to me.

• Gorgeous, Lovely, Beautiful, Charming, Adorable, Fine.. MAKE THE BEST IMPRESSION Where I am concerned...