Boyfriend said a tattoo would "ruin" my body and generally doesn't like the idea of me getting one?

I've wanted a tattoo ever since I could remember. I am an artist, and I appreciate the art of tattooing a lot. I planned on getting something medium sized on my calf, so nothing extreme. Unfortunately, my boyfriend of 2 years doesn't feel the same way. He used to say that it would "ruin my perfect body, just cover my skin up, and would do nothing for me physically." He's gotten better with it, and he supports the idea now since he knows how much I want one, but it's so annoying and stressful because I feel like I can't something no matter how much I like a certain design or size if he doesn't approve of it, and he has yet to really be too excited about anything I've showed him.

I'm not willing to break up with him over this or anything, but I REALLY want a tattoo and I also REALLY want my boyfriend to love every part of my body, tattoo or not. I just don't know what to do.

Most Helpful Guy

• He still hates the idea of you getting a tattoo, and thinks they are all ugly. That said, it is your body, and he knows he has to support your decision. That doesn't mean he has to like it, and it is his right not to like something. I don't get way people are acting like he is bossing you around, just because he isn't pretending to like the idea.

These are your options.

Get a tattoo and risk forever lower your beauty in his eyes, and force him to lie about how he feels, to avoid fights about it.

Don't get one, and run the risk of holding it against him.

Break up with him and find a more compatible guy.

Do whatever you want, but don't blame him, for any choice you make. He isn't controlling you, he is simply making his preference known. Also remember, relationships are a two way street. Just like you can do what he doesn't like, he is free to do what you don't like.

What Guys Said 5

• I can say that I personally don't like tattoos at all. No matter what the tattoo, I believe it will only diminish someone's attractiveness because it's permanently covering up what they really look like. Therefore, it takes away from your natural look.

Yet, I do respect anyone's choice to get a tattoo. If you really want it, and feel strongly about it, then that's your decision. Nobody else (including your boyfriend) should tell you not to do so.

• It's your body. It will be there for life. It may be nice if he likes the design. But ultimately. You are the one who has to make the decision.
    If you like it. That is what's important.

• As long as it's small, it's okay but I kinda agree with him on this. Still, it's your decision no matter what he has to say about it.

• Fuck what he wants. Your life your choices.

• Get something very girly he would come to love

What Girls Said 2

• I think that you shouldn't give up something you love for someone you love. Get the tattoo. He may not love it, but he won't love you any less.

I'm moderately tattooed and some of the guys I've dated have blatantly said they would rather I didn't have tattoos. It still didn't stop them from dating me.

• You just going to let him boss you around like that?

• He isn't bossing me around, he supports me and wants me to get one, but I just really seek his approval and it seems he never really likes any of the designs I show him.

• I see. Sounds like you have a choice to make. Which is more important to you? The tattoo or his approval?

• I have this same issue! Ah, frustrating right?