How do I encourage him to tell me how he feels about me?

Finally, I had gotten up the courage to tell him once and for all how I feel about him. And it seems he may have finally gotten up the courage to do it too. Now I'm not completely sure if I should do it or wait up a little bit to see if he does it.

I finally got to see him after a long time (I go to school far away and I came home for spring break just to see him) and he starts mumbling some analogy about dogs chasing cars and how they don't know what to do with the car once they catch up to it.

When I told him I wasn't sure what he was talking about he said something along the lines of, "There's something I want to tell you but I'm not sure how to say it."

By the way he was implying things I got the idea that he was trying to muster up the words to tell me how he feels about me, but where we were really neither the time nor the place. But I certainly do get the idea that he wants to tell me, so how do I encourage him to do it? Or should I just go for it and do it myself? It's because I figure if he finally got the guts up to do it I might as well let him have his moment, but also if he doesn't hurry up, I really will do it myself.