Is the Catholic Church Corrupt?

Do you believe the Catholic Church is corrupt? I'm atheist and come from a Catholic family,but I believe the catholic church is corrupt.I love... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I'm agnostic... It's corrupt, I'm not going to press anyone else to follow my beliefs. But I think it's corrupt in the way it adapts and adjusts. I don't think many modern day 'catholics' actually read the bible or pay attention in church they just go to church because of how they were raised. But if you look back in time, the church was more strict in the past, no meat on fridays and no work on the sabbath, the sabbath used to be a saturday not sunday. There are about 170 commandments not 10, you used to be able to buy pardons to avoid going into hell for sinning. Then all that changed for no reason whatsoever. And now they (well in Ireland anyway) the church not only helped cover up, but they also protected priest who were paedophiles? I mean what sort of example is that? They also say peace and love to all men, except gays and those with different beliefs... eh? There are a lot of verses in the bible catholics have clearly never read, a lot very forcefully suggest that certain groups of people should die and don't have a right to live. I think it's very hypocritical of itself and it changes way too easily to avoid any sort of criticism... How can people just change 'gods' word to suit and still believe in it? It's all flawed to me.

Asker upvoted
    • They change it to fit their flaws that their own religion originally banned. Many people who follow religions seem to know very little about it in depth, and where it originally came from along with what it originally was. Not to mention religions are commonly used to gain power over others and thus the reason it changes so often and will do what it can to hide "imperfections" as not to fall from power.

• I agree, I especially hate feuds between catholics and protestants and being in northern ireland it's probably the most common type of violence. I mean it's the same religion but a slightly different branch and it's nothing to be taken so seriously that you'd kill someone. I mean who knows who exactly wrote the bible, why they wrote it and when? For all anyone knows it could just be a novel... People just assumed wise phrophets wrote it.