Why can't healthy food taste as good?

So I'm sitting here eating carrots and hummus thinking how much better it would be to be dipping a nice Big Mac in here instead of these plain carrots. It's hard to stay on a diet, how do keep motivated?

Most Helpful Guy

• I love both carrots and hummus. And they are amazing together.

But the simple answer is this:
    We are animals. As animals, we were expected to wander around, forage on what was there, and eat when we could, because there is always the chance that we wouldn't be eating tomorrow.
    Because of this, we have a natural affinity for sweet things, and fatty things, because carbohydrates and fats are the two greatest sources of calories. The more you eat, the more your body can convert to body fat, to keep you going tomorrow, if there is no food.

We also need salt for our bodies to function, and so we are adapted to enjoy salty foods, because this means we seek it out and eat it.

In fact, salt, fats, and sugars ARE all healthy foods. The problem is not that they are inherently unhealthy, the problem is that we eat way too much of it (and are driven to eat it because of biological programming), and so, because we are vastly exceeding daily needs (especially with a much more sedentary lives than our ancestors, meaning we move less, and do less physically, so on our super active days we still likely burn fewer calories than on their lazy days), we suffer from the negative effects of over indulgence.

To combat this over indulgence, we are forced to seek out foods that are significantly lower in fats and salts and carbs, in order to satisfy our hunger, while getting back in control of our bodies.

Here's a tip, though: cave people figured this out good. Carrots are healthy, filling... and kind of boring. Put them in a soup or stew (and other needed but less tasty foods like them) with carb loaded foods, salty foods, and fatty foods in there too. It helped stretch the calorie rich foods out longer, made the blander foods taste better, and made them feel more full.

What Girls Said 6

• Well fats, sugars, and salt all make our brains happy that's why we crave them so much.

Maybe try looking things up and learn to make "healthy" foods more appealing to you. Like... Maybe you could make yogurt bark instead of ice cream or a grilled chicken sandwich with zucchini fries instead of a burger and fries.

• There are some healthy food options that can taste good, you just have to look up some recipes and see what you like the most. It won't taste like a big mac, obviously, but you may find something good enough to keep your mind off of fast food most of the time

• Healthy food does taste good, it doesn't have to be carrots and hummus. I like carrots though. You could have baked chicken breast seasoned with parsley, creole seasoning, and sea salt along with lettuce topped with 1 or 2 sliced boiled eggs, and some diced cantaloupe at the side. It's not too many calories, it's real food, and you're not throwing away flavor for health. Find all the 1 ingredient foods you like on Google and buy them. This doesn't have to be hard, it can be delicious!!

• Don't tell yourself you're eating healthy food. Honestly, I've been binge eating fast food due to stress these past couple of months. I feel miserable now. Eating a happy meal isn't making me very happy anymore. It's miserable and it's a cycle that's very hard to stop. I feel like they put drugs in it because I crave it but I don't even feel hungry for it. It's sick. I know that once you get used to eating nutritious food, the taste of fast food is much different and you're not going to want to touch that stuff.

• When you've ruined your taste buds with shit, everything else but shit will taste even worse.
    Your taste buds will become better slowly with time.

• You can treat yourself to; have some Arctic zero ice cream, they are low cal, low sugar and have protein. They're totally yummy especially brownie blast and snickerdoodle 😋

What Guys Said 4

• Your taste buds are spoiled. It takes a while to get used to a different diet. If you cut out all the junk food and fatty food, after a while you'll start to enjoy the taste of other foods more.

Healthy food doesn't have to be tasteless. Being healthy doesn't mean you can't blend flavorful foods, sauces, spices, etc.

Also, modern produce sucks bad. It's grown for high yield and high volume/weight, not for taste and nutrition. I bet it's been more than 20 years since I've eaten a really good apple. It's probably been even longer since I've eaten a really good carrot. Carrots you buy at the store these days are tasteless and pithy. Peaches used to be so sweet that your mouth watered with the first bite. Now they taste like shit, partly because they aren't tree ripened.

Try buying at the farmer's market when it's in season. Or better yet, grow some of your own food. Try going to a you-pick and pick your own strawberries, corn or whatever.

• One thing I came to notice about healthy food is that, while it may not taste as good, it feels better, like it's cleansing or nourishing your body. Perhaps you have to make a habit of eating healthy food before acquiring such a taste for it.

• Just stay strong with it. Nothing regarding a diet is easy, but it will be so worth it in the end.

• Healthy food taste great! No one said you had to eat carrots and hummos.