Vegetarians and vegans with dogs or cats - do you feed your pet any dry or wet food with meat in it or even raw meat?

Other people can answer this too, but I'm more curious about vegetarians and their pets.

Most commercial foods (dry kibble and canned foods) contain some kind of meat or meat products in them (which aren't always good, like by-product meal and whatnot). Vegetarian foods are often just for animals who need to be on a special diet either to lose weight or to treat illnesses.

Then there is the raw food diet - feeding chicken, beef, pork (all usually raw except the pork), fruits and vegetables that are safe for dogs to eat (no onions, garlic, grapes, raisins, apple cores or pear cores, etc) - often these foods are used to supplement the commercial food. I'm not sure about what raw foods cats can eat but I imagine it's much the same.

Do you just feed a vegetarian or even a vegan diet to your pet because it aligns with what you believe in? Or do you not care and you feed meat to them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cats and dogs are carnivores. They need to eat meat, preferably raw meat.
    If they not do, they will die. It is as simple as that.

• I know, which is why I'm asking the question. I'm especially curious about vegans since they're always more crazy about this crap. Will these people who are against eating meat or against the meat industry feed it to their pets, therefore supporting the very industry they lobby against?

• Dogs are omnivores. Cats are carnivores.

• @Kiwedin humans have made dogs omnivores, before human domestication of dogs there was no enzymes for eating carbs and vegtables in canine species. now there is only in dogs. and only domesticated ones.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been a vegetarian since the age of 12 (I'm 25 now)
    I feed my cats meat. They are carnivorous animals. It's their choice to eat what they like, as it's mine.
    I wouldn't force my beliefs on a person or animal. Dietary, religious, whatever.
    A cat is not civilised in the sense that humans are, and therefore they haven't created meat substitutes. They eat the protein because it's what their bodies need.
    It would be wrong to stop any domestic animal eating what their wild counterparts would - nature is nature.

What Guys Said 7

• There are some touched-in-the-head vegetablists out there who do try and force their pets to eat vegan too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkR2XEYEFgk

Dogs can cope with it, cats absolutely can't.

healthypets.mercola.com/.../...n-diet-dangers.aspx

• That's an interesting question. It seems people actually believe dogs can live on having a large portion of their food veggies. Poor dogs damn.

• They do the same with cats too, which is worse. Cats cannot live without meat and fish, at all.

• I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I would laugh at all of them if they give those foods to their dogs and cats 😂😭😭

• If they only feed veggie diets to them? Yeah, lol. Dogs and cats are omnivorous, but they lean more towards being carnivores.

• If they feed meat food to them or strictly veggies. Both are funny cause they're controdictory

• Not a vegetarian and I'd never do such thing to my dog lol

• If one is a vegetarian for ethical reasons then one should do the ethical thing and feed a pet a healthy diet for the animal. No expert, so I leave it to the more knowledgable to say what is healthy for dogs & cats.
    I am quite sure that there are recipes for home made alternatives to over-priced commercial pet food.

• Great question!

• I feed them soy imitation meat with vitamins and water

• I was under the impression that soy and other bean and grain based products were not good for dogs and cats. I know for sure that grains are not recommended at all which is why I try to stay away from commercial pet foods like Pedigree, Iams, or Nestlé Purina chow because they contain so much grain filler to bulk up the product.

• Lol okay. I thought you were serious there. 😊

So if eating animals is wrong to you, does that mean it's wrong to feed meat or other animal products (like broth for example) to your pets? Dogs and cats have many nutritional needs that can't be met on a plant based diet alone.

• just messing I used to work at a meat factory.

What Girls Said 10

• If a "vegan cat" is still ALIVE, the ONLY reason it is still alive is that it goes out, during its nocturnal "shift", and hunts for sustenance.
    Srsly.
    The owners who "believe" that their "vegan cats" are "thriving" on a "vegan" diet -- yes, four sets of quotes -- are a lot like this one guy I knew growing up, who "knew" that his obviously-half-white daughter was his own and was just a weird gift from God. (He and his wife are Nigerian and are both as black as night itself.)
    Just... turning a blind eye to what's clearly happening, and whistling a tune into the wind.

A cat stuck indoors on a vegan diet will DIE.

__

A dog stuck on a vegan diet *might* survive... but it won't be a pretty kind of survival.

Dogs are VERY clearly engineered to exist primarily on raw meat:
    * Their teeth are ALL made for ripping and tearing flesh (hello, CANINE teeth anyone?) Dogs have ZERO teeth that can grind plant matter. Ever watch a dog chew broccoli? Ahahhaahh
    * They have short intestines -- too short to digest fibrous plant matter fully.
    * The pH of their stomach and gut is the wrong level for digesting carbohydrate, and the right level for digesting meat/protein. If dogs eat too much plant matter, they get severe doggie heartburn.
    * They already manufacture all the major plant vitamins in their own bodies (hence why they don't need vitamin C, don't get tropical diseases, etc).
    * And so on.

I mean... if you just LOOK at a dog, it's pretty freaking obvious that a dog is a PRIMARILY CARNIVOROUS animal. This is obvious from literally almost everything about the dog's physiology.

Dogs have evolved LIMITED omnivorous capacities -- as a survival mechanism -- but they sure as hell won't live long or live well that way.

Don't be stupid, people.
    Or cruel.

• My dogs love broccoli!

• Mine too... and zucchini (they RUN when they hear zucchini being chopped -- they can actually distinguish it from other chopping sounds, even cucumbers).

But... the way they look eating it... hahahahahah

• I think the knife on the cutting board sound is the best sound in the world to both my dogs. When the dogs disappear in the house somewhere, we just go to the kitchen and scrape a knife on the cutting board. They come running, hoping for a treat 😂

• Dogs are actually omnivores and fun fact: the longest living dog in the world was 100% vegan, eating a diet consisting of rice, lentils, beans, potatoes, and other organic vegetables. Cats on the other hand are obligate carnivores and do need meat in their diets.
    The whole idea of being vegan is to reduce unnecessary suffering, meaning that dogs and humans have no need for meat in their diets, so there is no point in killing another animal. Meat is necessary for cats though, so a lot of vegans will buy their cats cat food with meat in it. Any logical human being would not force a carnivore to eat a herbivorous diet, and that's not what vegan pet owners are trying to do.
    Personally, I wouldn't want to own any carnivorous pets, because I wouldn't want to have to buy anything that contributes to animal suffering, but I would own pets that would be healthy eating plants.
    Actually, I do have a vegan friend who owns a cat though. She feeds him vegan cat food, but she also lives in the country and lets her cat go outdoors whenever he pleases. He kills mice and birds on his own, which makes up for his lack of meat his owner provides. It works out fine I guess.

• Yes, because there's hardly any vegetarian dog food where I live lol

• i see my comment weighed on your sub-conscience. nice new pic =D

• Cats are more carnivorous than dogs are so I doubt that kind of diet would be good for a cat.

• Yeah cats might be different.. I only know about dogs as I've watched a documentary about dogs on vegetarian diets and vets saying that it can work and those dogs were perfectly healthy once.

• Yes my dog has a vegan diet, it's much more healthy for him. by the way did you know the oldest dog was a vegan. It's definitely because of ethical reasons. He eats vegan dog kibble and sometimes i'll give him boiled vegetables or something else to spice things up :)

• Cats can't be on an all vegetarian diet... They'll go blind and die... 🙀

• Intersting question

• I eat cats and dogs. Does that count? 😂

• I fee like they're vegans themselves but they do feed their pets and kids meat. At least the ones I know

• yes because it's my choice not my pets

• I get that, I was just wondering why people make that choice for their pets and is it okay to take meat out of the diet of animals that are more carnivorous than us.

• I think they teach their pets to become vegetarians or vegans.