Have you ever made sushi at home, can you tell me how you made it?

I want to make some today, I'll run to the grocery store later to get the ingredients. I know I can look up the recipes online but I also need help and tips from people who have made it already.

I do not want to mess up 😅

Most Helpful Guy

• Ya I make sushi. I watched like 15 YouTube videos to learn haha. It's tricky

Most Helpful Girl

• Justonecookbook. com is a good resource for sushi rice recipe and techniques. And for other good food recipes.
    General tips though - sushi rice is a bit less cooked through than regular rice.
    You can alter the amount of sugar/mirin added (I sub mirin with apple cider vinegar sometimes)
    Let the rice cool til warmish. Too hot rice causes the nori to break apart at times and cold rice is difficult to spread and doesn't stick to the nori well and the nori remains hard and difficult to roll. Warmish rice makes it just soft enough to roll and cut.
    Dont get greedy with the ingredients. Lay them neatly on one side, and not too much. Then roll tightly squeezing the bamboo rolling thing periodically to squish everything together. Kinda like play dough.
    When you cut, oil the knife with a tiny bit of olive oil or something. With out it, rice will stick to your knife and make it hard to cut.
    If your knife isn't sharp enough (and for some reason you can't sharpen it) make little cuts with the tip of the knife at sushi sized intervals and then cut through the nick you made. It makes it easier. So does sharpening your knife.

What Guys Said 6

• @consultantisback is the sushi master

• Yes I have. The trick is to take your time and make sure you follow every step exactly as described. To often you try and rush something and the Nori sticks to soon or not at all.

• you need like this rice rolling bamboo scroll for it. that's how you make it into a cylinder and wrap the weird seaweed around it.

• i did, and i made it with a video from youtube.

• nope, I've never tried it

• but you do eat sushi... right? :O

• lol, this has gone beyond my depth! Retreat!!

• nope, and never want to, because i hate sushi and im allergic to it

What Girls Said 11

• I've made sushi with my boyfriend a few times.
    Prepping the ingredients and such isn't too difficult. A bit of chopping some veggies up, adding a surprising amount of mayo to the crab meat in addition to vinegar, if I remember correctly, to the rice.

Once you've got that done, it all comes down to how well (or tightly) you roll the seaweed+rice up and over the ingredients. It'll get much better and easier each time you make it, though one word of advice would be to start small. Don't pack too many ingredients in on your first few sheets. It's much easier to roll it tight the less you have to be concerned about fitting everything in with as little spillage as possible.

• My family did once; I didn't really participate (just watched) so I'm not sure how much help I'll be lol. I think they just got seaweed, that wooden sushi roller, a bunch of rice, and some salmon and crab. And some avocado. I wasn't there when they shopped unfortunately, but I imagine you have to be very careful if you're gonna use raw fish.

• Yup I have, I just made the (sushi-) rice with the rice cooker, seasoned it with sesame oil and rice vinegar, put it on the nori (which again was placed over the bamboo mat) and evened out a relatively thin layer - then I put the ingredients I wanted in my sushi and some mayonnaise on it and roled it up, pushing it tightly with the help of the bamboo mat. It's fun to make & not all that hard :D

• I am not that skilled, so no.

• I'm not expert in making sushi but I'll try to help. I think using a bamboo sheet will make it easy to roll for beginners and you should let the rice cool down a bit before putting in the sea weed.

• No but it seems like fun.

• I make it a lot! I really like sushi :D
    Don't need the bambooroller thingy. I first learned it from my host mom in Japan (was there for a month) and then did it a lot more at home xD
    Just try not to put too many fillings on, because otherwise you can't close it.

For cutting it, use a really sharp knife and make sure its clean and a bit wet (with water) to make the best slices :)

• It's too hard! My sister took some classes a while ago.

We had a good time doing it once but I guess we think it's easier to order or go to a restaurant. 😉🍙🇯🇵

• No I have not, but I bet it is going to be so much fun to make :)

• I have before. We bought a sushi maker off of amazon.

• (laughing)
    I own three brand new and totally un-used sushi kits.