Does Meat Eating create more life then it destroys?

I've recently become a vegetarian for the whole you shouldn't be allowed to kill an animal just because it's a different species deal but I've been thinking does the whole agriculture process create more life even if it does end prematurely then would exist without the demand for meat?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a meat eater, I'm not trying to be preachy or anything. But objectively the meat industry is terrible for the environment. Most of deforestation is a result of areas being cleared to keep livestock for example. Cow farts contribute to global warming lol. Growing crops for animal feed is clearly very inefficient; there's so much waste involved; if we grew vegetables and fruit for people to eat it would go so much further. Vegetarians are right, generally. Obviously there are some people who can't be vegetarian or vegan for health reasons and they shouldn't be shamed, but by and large, we produce way more meat and dairy than anybody needs, and the majority of people don't need those things at all

Most Helpful Guy

• If there was no demand for chicken meat and their eggs, for example, people wouldn't have chicken coops in their backyards or factories of millions or billions of them. The chicken wouldn't have evolved with us for the last 10,000 years. It may still exist in a small nitch region wherever they're from.

Of course farmers raise livestock for their meat, milk or eggs for our consumption. Without the demand, every one of those animals wouldn't have existed.

• Wow didn't think it would happen but I think I've been converted back. My only issue now is factory farming and any amount of suffering that goes along with the whole process. If we can avoid that than I'm sold.

• I'm still a bit hesitant to get back behind the meat industry when it comes to the effects it has on climate change something we urgently need to tackle, as others have pointed out. Using cattle for dairy may be all well and good but killing them prematurely for meat production might be one step too far.

When it comes to pork I think that's a clear cut case where you could justify eating meat as they have no other real uses while their still alive. Your right it is a complex topic definitely not all black and white. Thanks for the link! I'm looking into buying all free range products.

• Good luck and thanks for mh! Check this out. There's a lot of deception in their marketing.
      www.youtube.com/watch
      http://i.imgur.com/PVlWu5L.jpg
      http://i.imgur.com/q7ZdhFK.png

What Girls Said 1

• What matters to me is not how many lives it creates but how much suffering it causes.

What Guys Said 5

• Why shouldn't you be allowed to kill animals to eat them? Carnivores do it all the time and we're not much different. I would argue that billions, if not trillions of animals were given live solely for the purpose of eating although it's not much of a life in many cases.

• Uhh because we are animals just more intelligent and yet we don't kill the intellectually disabled, seems like a dodgy double standard. What do you mean by not much of a life? As in simplistic or that they live in poor conditions?

• I am not a proponent of moral objectivism because, like I said, they do not exist inherently. Do you think pirating movies online is morally wrong? Because many, many people will disagree with you regardless of your opinion. Do you believe it's morally acceptable to steal a loaf of bread to feed your family? Again, many people will disagree. This means that morals are not universal but, rather, unique to the individual.

I am suggesting that acting in a way similar to animals when trying to obtain food is not morally wrong. Referring directly to your statement "I've recently become a vegetarian for the whole you shouldn't be allowed to kill an animal just because it's a different species deal...". I argue that you SHOULD be allowed.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Agreed I think your right about ending it here we both have different meta-ethical positions.

• I read this pretty interesting article about how agriculture as a whole is harmful to the human race
    Its pretty interesting you should look it up
    Wish i remember where i saw it :(

• Yes, animal husbandry protects more animals than just crop farming. Farming just crops isn't sustainable. It also requires a much heavier reliance on fertilizer and fossil fuels, both of which destroy our atmosphere, hurts our climate, and destroys ecosystems. The run off also pollutes water ways and the constant crop farming erodes the soil.

• Who are we to decide that plants lives are less than animals

• You'll notice that cows, pigs, chickens are not exactly endangered species.