How can my boyfriend and I spend less money when going out?

So lately I've looked at my bank account and I was checking on what I spend the most on and it's food. Just mainly when me and my boyfriend go out, we spend a lot on food. Either he pays or I pay or we buy something for both of us and split the bill, we tend to spend on food every time we go out. We don't live together because we're still young. How can we spend less on food? Any ideas?

Most Helpful Guy

• Go to restaurants at home. That is, learn to cook fabulous meals at home. It's romantic to do this together as you learn. My best dates with my wife are when we are cooking together. Tonight, it'll be ribeyes, gourmet baked potatoes, and cabernet sauvignon.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well you can do a lot of things:

You can try splitting appetizers and meals between the two of you. I did this a lot in my youth since half of the time we wouldn't finish all of what we ate anyway

You can actually buy a few groceries/snacks between the two of you and MAKE food.

You can go to cheaper places to eat, or stop at one of those superstores and grab something like a sandwich and take it with you while you do something else.

Maybe eat before you go out and have a date that doesn't center around eating.

To name a few.

What Guys Said 22

• Learn to cook at home before you go out. You see the problem, the solution is to spend less. You still need to eat though, why not have more stay in nights were you both dinner together? Or trade cooking dishes for one another? Still want to go out after? Then go, start dinner earlier so its done when you want to eat. Have a nice meal. Then clean up and go out after if you are still in the mood.

• Eat before you go out. If you are both still living at home, asking to invite your boyfriend over for a meal will probably score points with your parents (unless they have an unfavorable opinion of him.) And he should invite you to his house for dinner.

The cheapest places to eat out are usually sandwich shops, burger joints, and food courts, although none of those are truly "cheap." You can also but food at the grocery store and then go to a park or the beach for a picnic.

• Almost everyone has to watch their spending and their budgets. It's always cheaper to eat something at home. So you could both eat something at home before going out for the night (or day, or whenever). As a treat, you could stop by a frozen yogurt place and get some of that, which is way cheaper than both of you eating in a restaurant.

• maybe eat prior to going out. perhaps pack a picnic type thing and find a nice place to eat outside and then go on the date. or just find cheaper dining out options

• Choose your restaurant wisely, get more for your money and go less.

Either that or,

Buy and prepare the food. Eat vegetarian during the week and then eat meat on the weekend. There are lots of less expensive meat alternatives out there that taste great. You feel better too!

• Go to the park, the beach or the canyons.
    Go. for a drive
    Workout together
    Go to the second hand stores and see who can put together an outfit that you would actually wear for the least amount of money
    Go hit the sex shops together and see who can hold their composer the best (while each of you tease the other with the various sex toys )
    Look for free concerts in your area and check out new types of music
    Go for a bike ride together.

• Stop eating out so much. It's expensive, even fast food is expensive. Learn how to cook! It's fun and healthy and cheap. Take it in turns to cook for each other and make it an activity you share together.

If you're going to activities when you are eating out, consider eating before you go or taking something with you in a small cooler bag.

• Ummm Hang out at each others home every now and then? Go to a park? Walk and Talk? There are quite a bit of things to do besides empty your bank account lol and if you're hungry just try to go to one of your homes. The point is, learn how to moderate what you do.

• Prepare something simple by yourselves and have a picnic or something.

• Well you can look at different options when you go out. The main question is whether you have your own places, but I doubt that otherwise this wouldn't be an option. So back to the first point, maybe select the places you eat at more carefully. Don't order so many things, maybe go for a picnic or something. If possible go to each others houses. Look at how many times you are going out a week and set different days for different things.

• Buy groceries and eat them in the car

• Go to the park. Go on a road trip (still need ass money but it's more worth it imo)

• try making your own food and go to some nice spot in the park for a nice picknick? you can make some food and he can too,

• learn to cook and put food in your fridge. You should be able to cook at least ten set piece meals and maybe a roast on Sunday. Cooking at home is cheaper in tge long run.

• Go out less often to less pricey places.

• Me and my ex went to Woolworths (large Australian store where you purchase foods and goods) and buy rolls, slices of cheese, turkey, some spinach or whatever and make awesome rolls (rolls, like sandwiches.)

We weren't cheap at all.. both worked, she was on 55k a year, me 42k so money wasn't an issue but we'd prefer spend it on new cars or holidays then waste it on food.

Conclusion - stop eating out if you're too poor.

• Buy goods and cook together!
    or just go to cheaper places

• make your own food.

• when i take my boyfriend to the movies i always cook a meal for us to eat befor we go so we dont have to pay 25$ for a thing of popcorn an 2 medium drinks

• though we still at times get the drinks

• eat at home

order a dinner for 2 or split a combo.

go to google and type in how to live frugally and you'll find blogs about how to live cheap and still have fun.

• Make a budget.

• Go on a drink instead, in less pricy places?

• you dont have to eat everytime

What Girls Said 17

• Cook home cooked meals :) I know you're young and all but there's no reason you two can't cook meals at home and have a "date night" right in the comfort of your place. Me and my boyfriend cook at one another all the time. It's what we do the majority of time. It saves a lot of money.

• Can start going on picnics or meals at each others houses, food can be really costly especially if you're going out for it often. So I would say budget yourselves.

• i'd say just pack food or share larger meals together.
    the sharing thing is pretty cute too :P say a large pizza and a side of salad for example. you'd pay so much less than if u were to both get meals for yourselves.

• I always love to go picknicking. Get a blanket to sit on and one of those adorable baskets (or just a bag) and load it with things you'd be eating anyways. Go to a park somewhere and just enjoy the food and nature. Dates like that can be absolutely perfect.

Or invite each other over for diner. Cooking together can be very romantic, same for doing dishes.

Strolling through town works as well, go to tourist spots near your house you've never been to yet because they're tourist sports. Bad weather alternative: netflix & chill.

• I second everyone's thoughts on cooking at home.

Also, check groupon and other coupon sources for specials. Try ordering one appetizer and one meal and splitting them. Learn the daily specials at your local restaurants.

• Are you guys comfortable at the others house? I know you're both young but if you don't mind being around the others family cooking is a lot cheaper. We did a lot of cooking when I was dating, because going out was expensive.

• cook at home! go over to each others houses, or have a picnic. you have to cut down on eating out because that is sooo expensive.

• How about having a dinner date at home instead of going out each time?
    I think cooking together can be pretty fun & the way to the bedroom in case you wanna go for a dessert later is much shorter, too! 😛

• how about START cooking! I'd think it's pretty obvious!!! OR maybe I'm a genius! :o! :D!!! wwwwwoooooowww!!! look at meee!!! :p!!!

• You can pack a picnic and eat at a park

Or cook at home

Groupon has restaurant deals

Restaurant week at your city offers meals at a discounted price

• Go to the gym, swimming, bike ride, roller blade. Make sandwhiches at home and he can make something at home, bring it together and go to a nice park or beach.

• Don't take a credit card with you and only limited cash. problem solved.

• Take food from home.

• use groupon pay one price for two or go to cheaper places

• Just keep less money in your wallet and don't take your credit card around

• Can you go to each other's house? If so, you guys could take turns cooking or something. It would improve your cooking skills, get you/your significant other brownie points, possibly impress your parents (unless they don't know about it...), etc.
    Also, do you eat everytime you guys go out? You could plan it so you each eat at home, then meet outside. Then you can buy a small snack or something.

• Eat at your place or his place.