Why are so many meat eaters afraid to eat vegan alternatives?

Seriously I don't get it. I celebrated my last birthday at a vegan restaurant but some of my friends refused to come because there wasn't meat. When I would offer them vegan food they refused and said it was because they're not vegan. One even said "hey I'm not trying to offer you meat am I"?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

That logic makes no sense. Because something's vegan you won't eat it?

The standard American diet is 60% plat 40% animal so already 60% of your calories are coming from plants. Seriously would you not eat fruits, vegtables, potato chips or oreos because they're vegan?
You don't offer me meat because my diet doesn't include meat but your diet already includes plants (vegan food) so why bring up that comparison. Can someone explain this to me?

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree, and get the same thing being vegan myself.
    But I think people are getting better about it, since it seems vegans are growing in number.

Most Helpful Girl

• i eat vegan and vegetarian food all the time and I'm not vegan lol. i think it's fantastic!
    people making a big fuss over food choices and differences need to lighten the fuck up. it's so stupid.

What Guys Said 35

• I'm not afraid I just understand that you need an actual balanced diet to be truly deathly that means vegetables but also the dreaded and horribly meat vegans hate so much.

Also no lol vegetables are actually pretty poor in calories most of them barely give you 10-30 calories and only a small handful of them give you 80-120 calories and a even smaller amount giving you 200 or more.

The most calorie rich foods groups are starch aka bread, pasta, rice muffins etc most of which give you around 100-150 calories and some giving you over 200, and the smallest ones giving you around 49-70 calories.

Most meat on average gives you 100-150 calories with the smallest giving you around 60-80 calories and the largest being 200 to almost 300 calories.

Actually if I had to list all the food groups based on how calorie rich they were it would go in this order starting from richest to poorest in calories.

Meat
    Starch ( bread, pasta etc )
    Fruit
    Dairy
    Vegetable

Also vegetables come in last in carbohydrates as well, here is the list of richest to poorest carbohydrate foods starting with richest and working downwards towards poorest.

Starch
    Fruit
    Dairy
    Meat
    Vegetables

And a list of the richest protein foods starting with richest in protein and working down to poor.

Meat
    Dairy
    Starch
    Fruit
    Vegetables

When it comes to the 4 main parts of food the calories, carbs, protein and fat vegetables barely beat out fruit.

Here is a list of the foods with the least fat, starting with the least fatty foods working our way down to richest.

Vegetables
    Fruit
    Starch
    Dairy
    Meats

I know this because nutrition was a big part of my studies and is a major part of my job

Also you don't help your case adding in potato chips and cookies since the whole point of the vegan diet is to live happier and "healthier" emphasis on "healthier" which you can't do stuffing your face full of fat, grease and sugar.

Also to answer your main question people can eat a all vegan meal but they quite frankly just don't want to. Even I would eat a vegan meal for a friends birthday because in moments like that friendship trumps food. That incident at the restaurant is not a matter meat vs vegetable it's a matter of will I be a good friend at this party and just suck it up over I'm to immature to eat just vegetables this once.

• Well said. Can't argue with logic lol. Probably my favorite gagger right now. I just don't have the patience to type out everything but you clearly do lol.

• Well I'm a vegan nutritional consultant so I know about nutrition but in this post I was talking about recreational eating so it's 100% irrelevant.

• Good for you, I'm a professional trainer my understanding of it goes a bit deeper then yours, so whats your point? both your job comment and mine are irrelevant.

And no lol only the top part of your question had anything to do with eating socially, the last part only had a little bit do with it, barely. The last part largely had to do with your comment about how 60% of our calories come from plants which is a false statement, so no it's not irrelevant.

If you don't like the answer you get then leave out details that don't have anything to do with the main point of your question.

• Nothing wrong with a baked potato or salad but the alternatives to dairy and meats like veggie burgers are just not any good to most of us meat eaters. We want the real deal

• The problem might be they simply don't like it,
    Vegan doesn't mean no meat it means no animal products you know

• "Standard American Diet" Lol What if you're not American like moi? xD This whole carnivore/herbivore/omnivore ordeal is crazy. At the end of the day every human needs an equal amount of nutrients that is found in plants and meats. Arguing is ludacris. If you're afraid of vegan or meat alternatives, I'd call you stupid at the end of the day it's food. It's not like eating vegan food is going to auto make you a vegan or vice versa they are important aspects of life. .-. I don't think I explained it OP but I gave my opinion regardless, sorry.

• I think it is the word "vegan" that makes them believe the meal will taste like crap. This idea was probably brought into people's heads because a lot of the meat-substitute stuff does kind of taste awful in my opinion. One of my personal experiences was due to a thing called "meatless Monday" at my university. Most of the various meats available around campus get switched out for vegeterian or vegan alternatives. I've tried them before and they looked decent but tasted quite bad... esp. vegeterian sausage.

This associates bad-food-taste with vegeterian/vegan from the lables, hence why one would be hesitant to try vegeterian/vegan marked food in the future.

I'm sure not all vegeterian/vegan food is bad tasting in the mouthes of meat eaters, but the bad experiences and such sure make one think twice. People tend to try and avoid food they think will taste awful 😅

That's at least my guess on the why with the situation.

• Because most vegan alternative are overpriced and taste really bad to meat eaters. This is especially true for without message and soy products.

It takes a lot of effort and skill to make good vegan dishes. Even then, you still can't get over the taste of bones in stocks or the crispy fragrance of a well grilled steak.

If you consider taste alone, vegan food are so tasteless and bad that I would rather eat roofing material. People went to war over coffee and tea. I will declear war on bad tasting food.

• They have no logical reason, they're just not feeling secure about themselves, they see eating meat as something that defines them and that is threatened if they ever eat a vegan meal. It's just like straight men who are afraid of going to a gay bar/hanging out with gay people. I eat meat occasionally (like the majority of the world population: a 40% meat diet for everyone would require more farmland than there is on the entire planet) but really don't mind going to a vegan restaurant with a friend. It's like you said: we all eat vegetables, grains and fruits so what's the problem with eating a whole mean consisting of those things once in a while?

• Simple, because they'd like their meal to include meat not just vegan food.

• I have no problem with that situation - Quite often in restaurants I chose the vegetarian/vegan because it looks most tasty to me - I would just go on taste of food then form an opinion.

• nobobdy is affraid as much as you probably hope... it´s about not wanting to miss a taste. i mean there are people still smoking, directly harming themselves... what do you think people care about animals being harmed, if they are even willing to harm theirselves for convinience xD

• I don't get it either. I may not be a vegetarian or vegan, but I've never had a problem with eating vegetarian or vegan products if there was no other option. I'll admit that its not as good as real meat, but its not like it tastes bad.

Then again, I may be biased because I grew up with a vegetarian mother, and its never been taboo to me. Most people probably feel that way because they haven't been exposed to the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle as much.

• I have no problem eating vegan alternatives sometimes and I would probably eat a more meat alternatives simply if they were a wider range in the shops.
    I'd like to have variety in my diet as long as they were healthy and don't break the bank.
    id be integrated to see and try what they had there as I don't know much about the range of vegan food. I know about humose, tofu, nuts, one type of seaweed and 2 or 3 mushrooms but I can only assume there's much more.

In vitro meat is interesting as well though it may become a large scale meat replacement in the future. It would is both low fat and animal friendly and potentially gives more variety the issue now is scaling it up and lowering the cost.

• This video is for you...

https://youtu.be/z0O_VYcsIk8

• Except "meat eaters" eat both plants and meat,

So that videos just for idiots :)

• It's a humorous video, J P Sears is the guy's name and he makes lots of funny videos.

• im veggie and have been for 35 years so to those below who say you need meat to live... bollocks. i do however dislike meat alternatives on the whole. i would prefer a spag boll with just veg than a mince alternative but at least i have tried most meat substitutes to arrive at the decision that im not a fan. i hate celery too.

• Just the other day I refused to go into a vegetarian restaurant for lunch.

My reasoning was, "I'd be more interested if it had chicken"

• Because veganism is a cult. You are a good example of it. Be a vegan and keep it yourself. Being vegan isn't that great and does't work well in bodybuilding as I've already explained to you.

• Well I do keep my eating habits to myself; do you know why?

Because I won't make any animal suffer for my culinary satisfaction and if you think that people should keep their eating habits to themselves you would do the same. As for not working well for bodybuilding (apart from that being a BS reason), here's a little secret: All protein originally came from plants!

• And you can't go have a vegan meal at a regular restaurant instead of enforcing your stupid ideas on your acquaintances... because?

Besides those "vegan" restaurants are nothing but overpriced shite that exists only to exploit people like you.

• I do go to "regular" restaurants when celebrating events that are not centered around me but if it's for example my Birthday of course I'm going to a vegan restaurant because there I can order any food I want without worry that it contains meat or animal products.

But there is nothing "stupid" about not making an animal die just because you like the way it tastes and as for exploiting people; google farm tax subsidies.

Next time try putting a little more thought into your response as opposed to ad hominem attacks -_-

• I love vegan food. Vegans really know how to cook vegetables to my liking. I think the best meal would probably be a rare steak, an onion blossom, and some unidentifiable vegan mess on the side with a modern craft IPA.

• Most people eat fruits/vegetable daily. They just also like meat and don't want to eat tofurky or vegetable imitation bacon...

• ill eat vegan on occasion and for lack of other options. but i can't give up meat. doesent mean i would skip a friends birthday, thats messed up.

• I know right XD I am not vegan/ vegetarian. But people that refuse to try vegan food are idiots... there omnivores, not fucking carnivores XD

• I tried that quorn garbage once, it tasted ok I guess was supposed to be a chicken alternative. I was violently sick and on the toilet the whole night. I'll stick to the real thing.

• I have tried vegan "meat" and it's very gross.

• Makes meat is essential for my survival

• good example of pushing ur vegan lifestyle onto others.

• The ones who push their life style on others are those who force others to suffer because they like the way that they taste ;)

• irrelevent*

• in your world, everything is suffering.

• because that vegan stuff is fake.

• I woudlnt go to that restaurant either. I enjoy meat in my meal, but if I dont even get the option and I have to eat a vegetarian meal, my inner rebel comes out because I feel disrespected.

• Why are so many vegans afraid to eat meat alternatives? :v
    It's because I choose to >.>

• I would. There's this bean burger thing that I always buy and I love non-meat stuff anyway.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 24

• Perhaps they've come across overly pushy vegans and it's left a bad taste in their mouth. Personally I don't really care, I like trying new foods. I prefer veggie burgers over regular burgers, so going to a vegan restaurant sounds like an exciting things because it's new food to try. I wouldn't want to be a vegan though, but I don't mind eating at vegan restaurants and such.

• Firstly I would like to say I'm open to trying vegan food.

However.
    Based from my cooking, not only do I cook meat at least once a day (or a "meat" product), I had a feeling some foods I would find taste strange. For instance, personally I prefer onions fried in butter. I will eat it in olive oil but it tastes best to me in butter.

For a lot of meat eaters, and to an extent myself, meat is a part of my nightly meal. I pick a meat and go with it.

The argument used by your friend is retarded out of context and s/he was being a bit inept.

• I do eat meat, but I eat vegetarian meals more often than not. Refusing to go to your birthday party because meat wouldn't be served was selfish, illogical, and melodramatic. It sounds like maybe they thought you were forcing veganism down their throats, but inviting them to one vegan meal doesn't mean you're trying to convert them. They were very immature.

• I think they're mostly afraid of the "fake meats", because yes it doesn't necessarily taste the same, and even myself I love vegetarian food I was raised but some brands imitations are absolute shit that made me turned off.

• You are never going to make everybody happy. We have four good vegetarian restaurants in my town, and they all have some great dishes. It's probably the preachy/self-righteous atmosphere they were hoping to avoid more than the food. But good for you for saving animals, fighting against cruelty, holding to your beliefs, doing your own thing, and not caving to peer pressure. Your truest friends will always support you in whatever paths you choose. :)

• It's not vegan food in general that freaks most of us out, it's the vegan alternatives to specific meat dishes. Like if I want a steak, a vegan alternative would be a huge mushroom or cabbage "steak". Or if I want a sautéed chicken dish, it would become a sautéed tofu dish. And then there's the depressing lack of butter and eggs. It's just that the vegan versions of specific non-vegan foods are rarely any good to some of us. And then the whole idea of going to a vegan restaurant can feel a bit out of the comfort zone.

• That's partly due to a lot of vegan alternatives being terrible.

• Because I'm a carnivore and must consume dead flesh at every meal or I feel deprived. I would literally go out after that vegan meal and get a chicken breast or something because to me vegan food is the same as rabbit food. All healthy vegetables and no substance. I know it's not true but that what my body is telling me.

• I'm not, I love vegan meals, especially the sweet potato based ones. Yummyyyyyyyyyy!

I just hate that vegans think they're the shit because they don't want to eat meat and won't leave meat eaters alone.

• I don't know. I think it's the word "vegan" that freaks people out.
    I had meatless nuggets at school and they taste exactly the same. Pleasantly surprised.

• I definitely would have no qualms about trying it, as I love trying new foods. I think it would be interesting to see what their menu is comprised of too, and what kind of alternatives they have for non-vegan foods.

• I don't know but I've eaten vegan alternatives some are pretty good but some are pretty gross but I don't see why people won't at least try them.

• I personally think vegan foods are yummy. 😄

But some people get a bad impression of vegans. They think they are pushy and forceful, so then they get the misconception that they are all like that and then they are turned off by veganism.

• Well.. I don't really eat many vegetables. And the ones that I eat, I only like them raw. I don't know about other people but I refuse to eat something I know for fact I won't like.

• I'm a vegan and I used to have the same problem, but I cook some great vegan shizzle and now they dont mind.

• My son is a vegetarian... so I wouldn't have a problem.

• They think vegan food tastes like shit

• Some vegan food can taste good but I like meat more..

• id try it, the subject just doesn't come up a lot. not afraid just not often relevant

• I've never known a meat eater like that.

• Because it usually tastes nasty. And restaurants with no meat have boring meals.

• So what, it's still one meal out of hundreds per year.

I mean seriously do you honestly think a meal is not a meal without meat?

• I know, but restaurants are already expensive as they are usually, specialist restaurants even more so, I'd resent paying for a meal I hated and have to force myself to eat.
      And i guess I can have some stuff without meat, but it's still usually got animal products in it like egg or cheese. Don't know if you also avoid animal products or only meat, but if no animal products at all, I couldn't do it.
      But yea, a proper meal to me has meat with it. Small meals or snacks don't always need meat.

• It's because so many people are too ignorant towards vegans and vegetarians. There are tons of things that are acceptable to eat if someone is vegan or vegetarian which can also be consumed by meat eaters. My friend and I were just talking about this.

I'm a meat eater, but I totally get why some people choose to become vegetarian. Some people do it due to animal rights concerns, while others do it for the lifestyle. A plant based diet definitely has health benefits.

I think the problem is that so many people are just against being a vegetarian or anything for that matter, that they simply refuse to indulge. It's the same with other cultures. Many people I know refuse to even try foods from other cultures. And I'm not talking about cows eyes or things that would be strange to someone from like American or Canadian culture. But stuff like Souvlaki or Sushi. Sure, some people prefer to not eat raw fish (I can understand that). But when all it is is stuff they would already eat, but put into a different form, they won't even try it.

It kind of sucks that so many people have such a closed mind. At least give it a try. If they don't like it, then they never have to eat it again. But don't bash it just because. My friend and I are planning on going to a vegan restaurant sometime. I eat meat, but I love veggies and I can be satisfied from a meal without meat.

I think there are a lot of vegetarian options that people would love if they just gave them a try!

• I'm close minded about all foods. rarely do I prefer to try something "new" off the menu, vegan or not. I don't enjoy eating unless in starving... if I could pop a pill that'll have my daily calories n nutrients I would.

• @orphan I can definitely see if you don't like to eat at all. But if someone does like to eat I don't see what an all vegetable meal would harm to just try.

• I wouldn't mind eating normal vegetarian dishes, made from vegetables, legumes etc. but those substitutes for bacon and stuff like that, just no. Firstly , a lot of them are made out of artificial ingredients, additives etc. unless you pay 3 times more for organic, real versions. I do know that is the case with all food, but I find a lot of vegetarian ones are a big scam. Secondly, soy. Most of soy in the world is genetically modified even if you manage to find one which is not, there is a lot of scientific research done which claims soy might cause genital abnormalities including cancer. I'm not some health freak, but some things are just a no for me. Plus don't like soy taste. Thirdly, you can't convince meat eater/ lover that mushroom and black bean pattie tastes like a burger. It is ok but it will never come close to meat. We love meat, is all, sorry if that offends vegetarians. I would go to vegetarian restaurant with friends an load up on healthy vegges, love my veggies and some of my fave recipes come from vegetarians.

• Why can't they eat what they want and you eat what you want? I really dislike people like you who try to push your own habits onto others.