Why the f*** are so many girls on gluten free diets? I never even heard of gluten intolerance until recent years lol. And why don't men do it?

Most Helpful Guy

• men do do it.

the rise in gluten allergies comes from a rise in hybrid agriculture. so basically cross breeding different types of wheasts and grains to produce higher yields has changed the basic structure of those products and many are allergic to it

the other reason is that gluten is not easily digested so it can cause weight gain. so since women diet and work on weight control more than men that's a big reason why more women do the gluten free thing

so two reasons for the rise in gluten free dieting
    -allergies
    -weight control/loss

Most Helpful Girl

• Some do it because they think it will help them lose weight. Others do it because they medically HAVE to. It's not just gluten intolerance either, people like me have Celiac Disease.

This is why people who eat gluten free just for some "fad" diet annoy me, because then everyone takes those like me less seriously. Of course people can eat how they want, but restaurants start offering gluten free alternatives for people who just WANT to eat gluten free and it's rarely safe for someone like me to eat due to cross-contaimation and other issues.

A lot of women AND men have actual reasons why they have to eat gluten-free. I *could* eat gluten, but I would be sick in the bathroom within 30 minutes of that happening so I'd rather avoid it.

What Guys Said 9

• I find it interesting... the only people who have to worry about gluten are those with celiacs disease. as far as I'm aware gluten has no adverse affects on people. I think once people HEAR something is bad for one, its bad for all which isn't always the case. I mean I'm sure gluten has no real positive effects for the human body so removing it is probably nothing to worry about but I do know its used in a lot of breads and dough's and such. Most men probably don't do it because well... we just don't care enough.. heck I'd even venture to say some men are ignorant to it.

• Gluten is a grain protein composite usually found in garbage like white flour, wheat and barley products.
    Grains are garbage, and gluten is mostly found in the worst kinds of grain products. (processed, fiberless white flour shite)

So, even if you don't have a particular intolerance to gluten it is a good idea to avoid it because it is contained mostly in products of poor quality which are only good at giving you diabetes.

If you want to eat "grains", eat pseudocereals like Quinoa and Chia.

• I did it for a year and a half. I've had long standing digestive issues so it was worth a shot.

• Some people actually have a gluten intolerance. Where if they have any sort of gluten they feel like shit and their stomach is upside down.

But I think your talking about those girls who just do it cuz its a fad. Thats just ridiculous

• i knew a girl with a gluten allergy in college. this was over ten years ago so im assuming she wasn't faking it.

• Potato and rice bread isn't cheap. A gluten free diet is probably one of the more expensive diets to maintain.

• It's a fad.. They'll get over it.

Like getting pregnant and hiptops.

• Metabolic issues

• yeah stupid fad

What Girls Said 12

• Most people who are on gluten free diets do it because it's the trendy thing now. They believe the BS about it making you "healthier" and whatnot. It's always the type of people who shop at stores like Whole Foods.

I have a friend who actually has Celiac disease, and that forces her to be gluten free. She can't understand why anyone would choose to go on that diet, because according to her, the food is mostly shit. Gluten is what makes bread and cake spongy, it makes pasta soft when cooked, and it's in many other things, binding them together. No gluten means the texture is going to be weird and gross.

• Unless there is a medical reason to do so, it seems to be the Fad of the Hour.

• My mother has celiac disease, which is why she's on a gluten free diet. That's typically why people are on gluten free diets.

• One girl I know has celiac disease, she can't eat gluten... Or even kiss someone that has eaten gluten within the past hour if they haven't brushed there teeth. There is a restaurant back home that serves only gluten free dishes, because the family also can't eat gluten.

• Because gluten seems to upset most peoples GI tracks and mine absolutely hates it (and I'm not supposed to eat it with my condition) or they're allergic or intolerant or it just does funky shit to people. Stop eating it for a week and try it to see how you feel lol. Also it's good for weightloss generally

• Why do you care what other people eat?

• Celiac disease (a form of gluten intolerance) is more common in women than men.
    Gluten intolerance on a whole is more prevalent in women than in men and it is on the rise.

• It's the latest trend and everyone wants to be on that band wagon

• because gluten intolerance is more common in women and even for a non celiac disease sufferer gluten is still not good for your digestive system + gluten can help cause weight gain

• I just had a doctor tell me to stop eating gluten because I keep having chronic diarrhea and terrible cramping. TMI, but you asked. I always thought it was some weird bougie fad, but here we are...

For some reason, women seem to have more gut disorders. Some theories include hormonal fluctuations, more delicate signals between brain and gut, higher cortisol, etc.

• The fad part was in no part directed at people with Celiac Disease. I meant this girlfriend diet for other people. All I know, to be blunt, is that I've been shitting my brains out and want it to stop! I'll try anything!

• They think that gluten free is healthier for you. In fact, it's important that you get your gluten in a reasonable amount. Unless you have a real disorder.

• Why the f**k do you care so much.