School lunches in a high school?

First off, I'm a foreigner. Where I come from we bring our own lunch most of the time, however we do have an option to buy in a canteen.
I've seen and heard a lot of people complaining about the food in the US/UK/Other countries canteens, and how it's disgusting and unhealthy. I even remember the hashtag that went viral (something about michelle?) with pictures of a lunch.

I simply have a question. If the whole food is that disgusting, why aren't the students bringing their own lunch?

I do realize that some people can't afford it, but I'm sure that a big chunk of the students who buy the cafeteria food can bring their lunches. I mean, it's not that hard to make your lunch before bedtime and just put it in the fridge?

Of course, there is probably some other factors that i didn't take account for, but i do ponder this quite a lot.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I usually brought mine but a lot of our school lunches were good and cheap. Poutines were top of the line, chicken parm made by the cooking class, tacos would be a special sometimes, soup and sandwich, the pizza was brought in from a pizza chain. And if you didn't like that than there was a million places to eat outside of schooo. So I never had any of those problems :-P

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a good question after all. However, I think the biggest factor really can be the affordability of packing your own lunch versus buying it at the school. Many schools have meal plans that the students can purchase or sign up for at the beginning of the year. One of the meal plans is the Free and Reduced version for those children and their families that cannot afford to pay the full price. By going with this option, the food may not be the healthiest, but it does ensure those students will have a lunch every day (which may not be the case otherwise).

What Guys Said 1

• It's actually a pain to always have to pre cook your stuff. That' the porpuse of a canteen, to make us fresh food.

If not, schools would just need to give us places to sit, to what what we bring.
    That's not the way to do it.

What Girls Said 3

• Are you talking about at college? We usually bought a meal plan which was just more convenient than shopping for groceries and making our own

Sorry. I was confused because your age made me assume you were done with high school.

• Because some meals are disgusting but it's not everywhere

• School lunches are the worst