What are your thoughts on the proposed Italian law could put the parent in jail if they raised their kid vegan?

So I was it on the new, The parents could see jail time if the kid is found to be suffering from malnutrition. They could get 4 years in jail if it causes health problems. I think they even said up to 7 years if the child died.

http://www.newsweek.com/italy-could-imprison-parents-who-impose-veganism-their-children-488687

• A./1. Good I vote yes... human's are meant to eat meat
  • B./2. That's crazy.. let them feed there kids whatever food they want.
3mo It would cover children under 16 and the fines would be worse if the child has nutritional issues is under 3 years old.
a law that would hold parents legally responsible for feeding their children on "a diet devoid of elements essential for healthy and balanced growth," according to its text.
She said, "I just find it absurd that some parents are allowed to impose their will on children in an almost fanatical, religious way, often without proper scientific knowledge or medical consultation."

Most Helpful Girl

• If the child suffers malnutrition due to the stubborn ignorance of their vegan parents then yes, jail time is alright with me

Most Helpful Guy

• I support it.. Atheists, tree huggers, vegans, hippies, sjw and left wing people should be jailed.

What Girls Said 11

• I think as long as the parents are smart enough to feed their children things that can replace meat at a nutritional level, there's no issue. It is possible to get sufficient iron, protein, etc. without meat products... though it is expensive and time-consuming. If parents have the money and energy to put into a well-rounded vegan diet for their kids, more power to them.

• If they want to raise their child vegan, fine. Just make sure he gets everything he needs. If he's malnourished, then yes that should be considered child abuse.

• This part: if the kid is found to be suffering from malnutrition

I agree with. If it was just for being vegan and the kid was well nourished? Nah. 🙄

• Pure ridiculousness. You can be a meat eater and still be malnourished. Or you can be a fat vegan. Hell I been a vegan for some time and I never felt any healthier.

I am going to raise my kids vegans.

I'm the complete opposite... I couldn't be with a girl that was a vegan or a vegetarian. I love seafood, meats too much/big part of my life.. that it would ruin our relationship.

@FallOutBoy2001 well there you go :P

@FallOutBoy2001 Sorry I wasn't on all weekend... spent it at the beach;-)

As for your question, You don't eat any meat (beef, pork... hot dogs burgers) you also didn't put down poultry (turkey/chicken)?

First you are WAY to young... but even if you were in your mid 20's...
      If the answer to both of them is NO... I probably wouldn't. I eat meat products with almost every meal... so sooner or later it would be an issue.

• I don't know much about a vegan diet, I eat meat but you can get protein from dairy products and beans so you don't have to eat meat.

• I would say you've misconstrued it. You can raise a child healthy vegan or vegitarian, and raise an unhealthy omnivore.

• im personally a carnivore technically an omnivore nothing is going to change that but to put someone in jail for raising your kids to be a vegan is really stupid i mean its not like after the kid is older he/she can choose to eat what he/she wants

• As long as the kids and people get the proper nutrition daily, then it shouldn't be a problem. Some people have food allergies and can't eat meat or dairy or both.

• Suffering from malnutrition. Thats the key word.

• US should watch out for this... Is it child abuse to malnourish your kid with junk food and soda?

• Good laws. They should do the same in my country. I know plenty of parent who make their child vegetarian and they have a lot of health problem. Doctor said it than a child need meat not some tofu or craps like that

What Guys Said 10

• If it causes health problems! Yes, any parent who feeds a diet that results in health problems should be held accountable. This does not mean that parents may not place their child on a vegan diet; they could do so but would be responsible for providing necessary supplements (such as calcium and iron) which are essential for proper growth and which are not provided by a vegan diet.

• My sister Jess and I were brought up as veggie. We've never knowingly eaten meat or meat products. It's done us no harm whatsoever. This would be an absolutely stupid law! They obviously don't understand about foods, meat substitutes and nutrition.

man, no wonder you don't know shit about how to build muscles.

So you were raise not eating meat, fish, chicken? Have you ever tried it?

Not knowingly, but I did try a Thai curry once, supposedly with tofu. I'm sure it was real chicken, so didn't have more than one mouthful.

• I think the issue needs to be separated out: malnourishment should be an offense without it pertaining to veganism.

In ither words, nourishment is a goal with many paths. Which paths you take are up to you, but you have to meet the end goal. If veganism cannot meet a child's nourishment needs, then it is the wrong path.

Well I think the issue pertains to the fact that the parents must not be giving supplements for the vitamins that the kids aren't getting.

Of the vegans I know, I do notice that they are very skinny... probably due to the lack of fat/calories.

I personally think it's strange (if your not doing it for medical reasons-allergies/lactose) I actually feel sorry for the kids as they are missing out on one of the best things in life (the variety of foods available).

And if they think it's healthier.. think again.. all the chemical flavoring is way worse than what nature made with the real thing.

• if it leads to malnutrition than I completely agree. I think that after a certain age parents shouldn't be allowed to force their kids to be vegan

• Lol Italians pretty much invented food so they are justified here.

• I think thats not neccecary. I dont think tge government should regulate peoples diets.

• It will inspire vegan terrorism. Probably Italian legislators are upset they are falling behind the rest of Western Europe, not having suffered a terror attack to use as a weapon against more civil liberties.. Those creepy politicians..

• That's stupid. You can't throw someone in jail for that.

• Europe really doesn't have criticise others on basis of morality or anything for that matter really.

• Eating animals a for primitives. Maybe if something came from outer space and decide to put the human race on its menu maybe Mankind will see things differently.