Should I reuse fried chicken oil?

I really wanna try a home made fried chicken recipe. However it takes like 1.5 liters of oil to fill my pot. Is it hygienic to reuse the oil for later use?

Most Helpful Girl

• If it is has been Sitting there awhile, @Dtegesd123, Dump it Out. It will then Contain Bacteria that will Feed off the Particles left in the Oil.
    Good luck. xx

Thank you, @Dtegesd123, for the Vote of Confidence, and with 43 Chipitole Restaurants that had Closed due to E-coli Food Poisoning, One should Not play with Fire. xx

:)) xxoo

Most Helpful Guy

• The oil must be properly stored in sub-40 degree F temperature (a refrigerator) since bacteria thrives in a temperature range between 40-143~ degrees F.

What Girls Said 5

• So round here in the south some of the best fried chicken you will ever eat comes from used fried chicken oil. Decide for yourself if you're down with that or not, but these southern woods folks can cook and the chicken is good. I don't cook that way... but I definitely have enjoyed their cooking that way.

• I think it is ok if you have a modern sealing deep fryer that has a light to notify you when items should be cooked. The temperatures of them kill the bacteria as the oil gets quite hot. Then since it seals tightly it can be stored at room temperature. Since the oil was quite hot and then needed to cool down. Most of them take enough time even with cool wall deep fryers that it should be safe. However if there is some debris you may want to strain it off though a cheese cloth, clean the fryer and then reuse. I wouldn't keep oil for more than 2-3 months max. Everything should be thoroughly cleaned by then.

Old deep friers didn't always reach the heats they do now. They also took longer to cook. If you hygienically handle chicken or meat before cooking usually it is safe. One thing I do sometimes is poor boiling water over all surfaces of raw chicken. This kills surface bacteria and also tightens the skin and seems to produce juicier chicken.(when baked in an oven) Some items cooked in oil need the oil to be dumped out and not reused. But I unfortunately can't remember which items were on that list but I think one type of fish was. Things like veggie tempura or french fries the oil can be reused lots of times. Though tempura batter can leave little messy bits in the frier.

Your country should have a food standards website that you can Google for. Go there and they will have food handling tips and helpful information on other things. I took food handling long ago in more than one country due to slight differences in their standards.

• Yes, you can definitely reuse the oil and store it for later. You will know when to throw away the oil as it is brownish in colour.

• No. It's cancerous. Don't even think about it. Never reuse oil.

• Not too many times. But you can reuse, yes.

What Guys Said 3

• Restaurants reuse oil all the time. Nothing unhygienic about it

• No, please don't reuse it.

• yes restaurants leave the oil in the deep fat fayer for weeks