How much food is too much food?

as embarrassing as it is to say considering I'm male, I have a history with a severe eating disorder that started when I was extremely young. I went about a week eating literally nothing and am trying to get a vibe for how much food is too much now that I'm trying to get back on track with recovery.. so I'll just say what I've had so far today and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

morning snack (metabolism jump start)
1 banana &3 Brazil nuts
breakfast
one roll of simple sushi
lunch
1 veggie sandwich and orange juice

for dinner I'm gonna make a creamy vegan pasta dish, but I'm still hungry and not sure if it would be too much food to have a second sandwich since I won't be cooking dinner for another 3hours or so.

id appreciate if I didn't get too much shit for being a "manorexic" it's hard enough without dealing with stigma and harsh people.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think that sounds like too much food at all. That is probably around the same amount I eat within a day and people tell me I am a small eater.
    I'm sorry people give you a hard time about your disorder and I'm glad you are on the road to recovery!

Most Helpful Guy

• It really depends on a lot of things, and everyone is different. How big are you? You are implying that you are underweight, but didn't come right out and say it. What is your activity level? What kind of muscle mass do you have? How is your stamina?

Assuming you are underweight, what you listed seems like it's on the light side. Just like you shouldn't lose weight too quickly, you shouldn't try to gain weight too quickly either. You want to gain healthy weight, not just gain weight to be gaining weight.

If you are not at all active, what you listed still sounds a bit light. If you are active at all, it's very light. A high activity level can easily double or triple your food intake. Without knowing more, I'd say you need to increase your food intake, especially since you said you were hungry. I would increase it gradually and concentrate on a good variety. Throw in some veggies and more protein sources.

You mention vegen twice, but also sushi. If you are vegetarian, or semi-vegetarian, you really need to concentrate more on protein, B vitamins, etc.

Gradually increase your food intake over time and monitor your weight and overall feeling of health. If you have an eating disorder, and maybe a bad or false self image, you might have to put in more effort at self monitoring. Maybe ask the opinion of people who know you and can see you.

What you are eating sounds healthy. You just need more of it, and a better variety.

What Girls Said 5

• I'm underweight I look anorexic never been diagnosed with it but I was told by a dietitian that I need to start off with eating small portion meals throughout the day not large meals

• Might want to talk to @Fearless_banana for this.

• My first response? Never too much food 😜

But in all seriousness, I think a little more food certainly won't hurt anything! Happy munching!

• What you're having isn't too much food

• Never enough

What Guys Said 2

• It becomes too much food if it puts on more calories then you burn in a day, most American portions are actually very large compared to how much we actually need to survive and feel sated, especially compared to other countries portions

• Funny thing is you eat more then me lol I have chrons and I choose to barely eat because of it