What's wrong with boxed wine?

I always hear people making jokes about people who drink boxed wine. What makes wine that comes in a box so bad?

Most Helpful Guy

• Simply that it's cheaper/lower-end wine. It may lack some of the more complex flavors that more expensive wines have and that some people "require".

It's kind of like drinking KoolAid instead of soda - soda has a bit more of a refined flavor and texture (due to the carbonation), but that doesn't mean that KoolAid can't be a tasty, refreshing drink.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's just a stereotype. A lot of wines that come in boxes also have bottled products, but they're all cheap. That's okay though because if you like a wine, freaking drink it. Only asshole wine snobs will judge you for it. I get boxes because it's cheaper and less wasteful.

What Guys Said 4

• When it was first introduced, it was CRAP!! They have made a lot of advances with the bags, and air-permeability, and 'keeping quality'.
    It is a lot better now, than 20 years ago!!
    Besides, a respectable girl can have a wine in a box, and not feel guilty, drinking too much on a dateless Friday/Saturday night, because it isn't like an empty bottle!! You can only tell it is empty, when nothing comes out!! :)
    No offense intended!! :)

• It's the wine snobs that have an issue with it. They think that box wine is beneath them because it's not as "classy" as bottled wine and it's not as complex.

I myself drink box wine and I usually get them in a case (four 3 liter bottles). I've been drinking it for years and I enjoy it.

• Is cheap lower and lower end. A box wine hangover is almost as bad as a cheap sake hangover.

• It's cheap

What Girls Said 9

• It used to be really cheap and gross basically. However, there are many boxed wines now that aren't bad from what I've seen. Many improvements have been made.

• ಠ_ಠ it's so offensive, DRINK OUTTA A BAG LIKE DECENT PEOPLE. PREFERABLY OUTSIDE OF A SCHOOL... AND WHILE STARING AT CHILDREN.

• it tastes fine to me...

• Its cheap wine.

This. The implication being that they simply want as much wine as possible for the cheapest possible price.

• my dad used to drink it and i am also offended when i hear people making jokes about it

• Love boxed wine

• its cheap lol but its still delicious

• It's perceived as cheap and trashy. Doesn't mean it's horrible tasting though

• People are too high maintenance. If it's cheap, it's automatically just a terrible thing.