Going to a party with alcohol, tips for drinking responsibly?

I mean, I've been to parties with alcohol before, no biggie, but it wasn't an issue because I didn't drink. (Have had alcohol before, just not in party environment).
With this next party coming up, I want to drink, but I want to make sure I don't do anything I regret.
What are you tips for drinking safely?

2mo FYI, legal drinking age is 18, but if you're drinking on private property underage, it's also legal if you have parental consent.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Have a friend with you who could take care.

2. Check out if there are any potential dangerous people around.

3. Only drink one type of alcohol at a time.

4. Eat before and best eat some white bread inbetween.

5. Drink water.

6. Don't drink too fast. Let the alcohol take effect - it takes around 2 hours for it to fully impact you.

7. Don't sit the entire time - it can make you not notice being drunk. So stand up and walk around every once in a while.

8. Don't be tired/exhausted.

Most Helpful Girl

• Eat a good meal before going out.

Wear flats. Your legs and feel will thank you.

Do a quick brush up on good music that's recently came out, movies in the theater, the local sports teams, etc. Thst helps make small talk with new people you may meet.

Don't take shots if you aren't a practiced drinker or drink party-wide mystery drinks at all (usually punch and everclear with other gross junk thrown in).

Don't get peer pressured into drinking a bunch at once, like beer bonging, if you aren't a very experienced drinker.

Don't leave your drink laying around. Don't leave your purse or phone laying around.

Drink some water in between booze drinks to keep your wits and not feel terrible the next day.

Go places in pairs - especially to use the bathroom because it's usually more secluded.

Don't take drugs on top of a lot of booze, don't take drugs from people you don't know or if you aren't sure what it is (weed can be laced and pills especially may not be what the person thinks and frankly are dangerous to play with).

Don't go with a guy to get something out of his car or to look at something in another room, even if it seems mundane. It's generally just an excuse to isolate you.

Don't do anything that feels dangerous to you, like climbing on the roof of the house or swimming while plastered.

Don't drink or use drugs and drive. Don't get in the car with someone intoxicated.

Have fun!

What Guys Said 29

• -Eat beforehand, don't drink on an empty stomach, you'll regret it later

-Stay hydrated (not with alcohol), always have water somewhere close by

-Pace your drinks, don't go flat out and chug your whole drink, it can be VERY dangerous if you do that (depending on the alcohol percentage of course)

-Don't drink from free open cups, a drink given by someone or a drink that you left a while back, spiking is easy and I have seen it happen before. Serve yourself whenever possible

-Have support on hand. Have a friend (hopefully sober) nearby who'll get you out of any trouble you might get in from drinking too much, they'll stop you and can serve reminders time to time to check up on you

-Don't drink a lot and stay under your limit. Binge drinking the first time is not a good plan, in fact binge drinking is not a great thing at all, no matter how many times you've had alcohol before, blacking out and passing out is never fun

P. S Don't ask how I know any of this.

• Most important thing is to eat before you go, or while you're there. Alcohol on an empty stomach will wreck you.

- Drink slowly.
    - Drink one type of alcohol at a time spirits with spirits, beer with beer, creams with creams etc.
    - Get drunk but not to the point of puking, if you feel ill stop immediately.
    - Outside of the alcohol, you and a close friend should always keep and eye on each other and know where each other is at all times.
    - Dont do anything, drinking or otherwise, that you dont want to.

Above all have fun and let yourself go. Make sure you scout out all the guys before the beer goggles go on 😂😂😂

Haha that's the plan, friend and I work out who we like and who we don't, then I have a drink lol.
      Thank you for the tips!

all of this plus try to drink a glass of water in between every drink you have. You won't get as drunk and you won't get a bad hangover in the morning

• it takes a bit until you notice the alcohol... so don't make the mistake to drink too much in too short time. This is especially the case with some low per mille mixed drinks... you drink them like orange juice and at one point they fuck you over. When you notice the alcohol kicking in, just have 1-2 non-alcoholic ones until you continue, or even better start mixing things up from the beginning. It helps you keeping control of it and noticing when it gets too much.

Also, make sure to eat something before the party and if you can while drinking... it helps a lot.

Other than that... pack some condoms and don't puke on his dick :P

Thanks for the tips, laughed so hard at the puking on his dick part, not happening lol (but yes I will bring condoms just to be safe).

"FYI, legal drinking age is 18, but if you're drinking on private property underage, it's also legal if you have parental consent."
      I was curious about that and looked it up... the private property thing is only valid if you have at least one adult supervising you :P

If I had to guess I'd say that this is not the case here haha :D

Yeah apparently there's going to be an older sibling there supervising us.
      But I looked it up too for my state: "there are no prohibitions on a minor drinking alcohol in a private residence."

• Never take a cup someone you don't know/don't trust hands you. That's how you take something without realizing it. Always keep your cup with you and if you leave it somewhere forget about it. Those are the tips not to get something slipped to you, besides that just don't over drink! Be aware of how much alcohol is in any mixed drinks you have

• Eat even meals throughtout the day to get most of your calories in
    Have plenty of water before and once you're done drinking
    -Take it slow and easy on the whiskey or any kinda hard liquor. Thats where you get destroyed
    -Once you are drunk and feel it, pace your booze and slow it down... to like a couple an hour max and see how it works
    Stay close to your friends if you need to

Most importantly make sure you enjoy and remember your night, get drunk but not destroyed (keep that for another time) and keep it cool beans

• For every drink you have, make your next drink a glass of water.
    Fills up your stomach and makes you drink slower.

Also, you're young
      shouldn't drink
      habits start early
      I'm a drunk
      blah, blah, blah
      Old man stuff.

• Make sure you're with a responsible friend, preferable someone who will remain sober.
    Don't be pressured to drink more than you want.
    Don't drink more than your body can handle.

But remember: If you get drunk, you are still accountable for your actions while drunk.

• Buy condoms.

• If you don't have the best self control when you're drunk then you should only bring as much alcohol as you can handle, if you bring more then you might chug it down when you're drunk and end up passing out. And what I do is every time when I go take a piss at a party I look in the mirror and do a short self evaluation and just figure out if I've already had enough to drink or not.

• Know your limits! Don't do tons of shots unless you know you can handle them. Don't leave your open drink unattended in case someone spikes it (or worse). Pace yourself and drink some water.

• Eat something before you start drinking.

On an empty stomach if a girl gets drunk with 3 glasses.

Then with something to eat it can go upto 8.

So don't drink on an empty stomach.

The best food for me is toast or foods high in fibre. It helps hold the acholol rather it just passing into the blood stream straight up.

• Drink a glass of water after a couple drinks, the alcohol dehydrates you, the water will help you stay hydrated.

• Do you know your limit yet? As in how much you can take without getting too drunk? Its always best to stick below your limit. I made that mistake and kept going, I ended up blacking out and being sick over and over again. The only good thing about that was that the next morning I felt fine because all of the alcohol was out of my system.

• If you get busted (which happens often) you WILL get a ticket and possibly ruin your chances of a future career. Remember that.

Legal age is 18, but it's also legal if you drink on private property under the age with parental consent.

Ohhhhh you're not in the US. Whoops

• For your first few alcohol parties, go small quantity to see what your limits are

• When you're starting to feel good, immediately stop the drinking for half an hour, an hour or so. Consuming more alcohol does not make the feeling better, and does not sustain whatever feeling you have for a longer time

• Limit your drinks and only drink if you took the drink by your hand... simple..
    That Way you are dober and safe

• Be surrounded by good friends that have your best interests in mind, they won't push you beyond what you can handle. This is my advice.

• Smell em before you drink, if it smells chalks dont lmao

• Don't mix too much and drink plenty of water

• Stay away from beds.

• Serve and keep an eye on your own drinks every time.

• get pepper spray

• Don't drink to much and if u feel hangover drink lemon juice it helps u

• be around friends you trust

• Is it a kegger?

• Drinking is overrated, smoke some herb. :)

• have a friend you trust taking care of you and stays near you and maybe already has experience.
    eat something beforehand since alcohol on empty stomach is a bad idea
    stop drinking when you feel dizzy
    don't dance on the table
    don't kiss random guys
    don't overestimate yourself
    don't force yourself to drink everything

I don't think I'll have a problem with the dancing on the table and kissing random guys part, not really my style lol, but thanks for the tips.

just saying because I saw girls who would never do this do this after they got drunk

fair enough, hopefully I don't get to that stage.

• Limit yourself to 1 drink a hour but I think you should do at least one thing you regret

What Girls Said 12

• I'm assuming you're underage legally where you are from, but considering you'll likely drink regardless of that, and regardless of what I'll say, I'll give you legitimate tips:

Do not drink anything that you did not get yourself. Don't accept anything from anybody.

Hydrate - if you feel parched or begin feeling out of it, take a break, don't continue pounding or taking shots. Have some water and coast.

I advise you start out drinking premixed, bottled drinks. Nothing in an open cup with hard alcohol in it. Especially if you haven't drank before.

Stop drinking when you begin feeling warm and fuzzy, a happy-high sort of speak. I advise just getting to the tipsy point, not getting drunk.

Make sure you eat or that food is available. Do not drink on an empty or near empty stomach.

Have someone you can trust with you, or someone you can call to pick you up in things go wrong. If that means having uber downloaded on your phone or what, just have the ability to leave if you have to.

• Lately I've been super conscious of my drinking at parties, because I also end up doing stupid shit when I'm drunk. To start off the night eat greasy food and fill up, you don't want to drink on an empty stomach, you're just asking for a hangover in that case. If you're doing shots drink water in-between. But even if you aren't try to drink plenty of water. Also, bring a friend who doesn't drink or doesn't get drunk at parties in case you start making dumb decisions, they'll be a real help. When you start drinking you won't feel anything much for a while. Just because you don't feel anything does NOT mean you should drink more. You need to wait a little while for it to kick in. Personally I prefer the feeling of being buzzed over being drunk, but that's up to you. Lastly it's super important you have a driver, or Uber. You need to be careful and make sure your driver is completely sober if you get into a car with them. If they aren't don't get in, and take an uber. It's much safer.
    If the morning after you are hungover, don't take pain meds. That's just going to make it worse, so just drink plenty of water and rest up.
    Also, if you are drunk and have to use the bathroom during the night just plan to be in the bathroom a lot. It's like opening the floodgates. Hahaha.

Taxi/Uber is good, but only if you are NOT alone, always ride with friends.

• Make sure you've eaten before hand. Have a water and drink that regularly with and after each (alcohol) drink. Plan ahead on how you'll get home safely too.

• Always watch your cup and fill your own glass.
    If you don't know you limit, one or two drinks max.
    Have a DD if you're not staying over.
    Keep an eye on you friends too.

• Just do everything you want to while sober and then drink after the party, with a friend while you guys are alone.

• Tips for drinking safely:

Just don't drink. What is your purpose for drinking? To get drunk right? If not, then why are you doing it? Certainly alcohol doesn't taste good, or feel good going down so why do you want to do it? To fit in? That's not a good reason. Don't drink, you're better off that way. Because you're going to drink to get drunk and therefore put yourself at risk.

Nah, I'm not doing it to fit in, I just want to experience it for myself without going overboard.

I think the only way for you to avoid going overboard is to have one drink, but truthfully in a situation like that one drink will turn into two, and two into three and so on and so forth. If you truly want to protect yourself, just go there to have fun, and avoid the alcohol. If you want a pleasant experience of an alcoholic beverage wait till you're old enough to buy it and enjoy yourself a glass of whatever you want.

• Drink heaps of water!

• Find a girl friend who doesn't want to drink and tell her to watch you and "take care" of you so you don't do anything you will regret
    I think this may work

• Just dont be alone drunk around a bunch of guys. That's all I can think of.

• Eat beforehand, go small at first, and do not drive afterwards

• This isn't really a drinking tip because I don't drink or plan to ever, but don't take your eyes off your drink. Carry your drink everywhere you go, if you mistakenly leave it somewhere don't go back to drink it just in case God forbid someone spikes it. Stay safe and have fun!

• Eat before hand.
    Have a glass of water between your drinks to try sober up and a glass of water before you go to bed