What kind of traditional foods do you eat from your country?

Name one kind of traditional food you eat in your country. When, why do you eat this food?

For example, in the US, we eat turkey to celebrate Thanksgiving/Autumn Harvest. Everyone from around the country, drive or fly back to celebrate this tradition/holiday with their family.

2mo I should add, holiday traditional foods

Most Helpful Guy

• In Christmas we in Norway usually eats a dish made of sheep meat called "Pinnekjøtt". Some Norwegian do also eat Christmas rib or cod in Christmas too. We do also have Christmas cakes. We have the traditional brown gingerbread which Americans also have. But we do have a white version as well where the ginger bread is softer and whiter. That's called "Kakemann".

Other Norwegian dishes: Raspeball (Potato dumplings), Brun ost (Brown cheese), Rømmegrøt (Porridge), Lapskaus (Stew), Lefse (Flat bread/dessert).

Most Helpful Girl

• YES! I love these kinds of topics relating to food :D
    I was born and raised in Jamaica before I moved. So my family is Jamaican. Here are some things we eat on special occasions.
    For Independence Day, Heritage Day, National Heroes Day, Jamaica Day etc. (we are VERY patriotic people) we always enjoy our National Dish: Ackee and Saltfish. We don't usually enjoy that mixture alone so we usually put fried dumplings, fried or roasted breadfruit, callaloo or fried plantains along with it.
    For Christmas, we enjoy fruit cake (with extra rum ;) well, that's how my family makes it), banana bread or pudding and the usual ham or jerk pork. For drinks we serve Sorrel Juice.
    Last but not least, you cannot forget the Sunday Dinner. Yes, every Sunday is a feast. This is how much we love our food. We need a GOOD meal before we go back to work/school the next day. We enjoy brown rice and peas, with oxtail and many vegetables with homemade juice. For dessert, we eat ice-cream :) (that's how it went in my family).

What Guys Said 34

• Homemade Irish brown bread - The curse of every Irish mother, she would take it hot out of the oven and leave it cool then come back an half hour later to see maybe one or two slices left. Hot brown bread with the butter melting into the bread with jam washed down by a big mug of tea.
    farm4.static.flickr.com/.../...3894_50c1aca7d8.jpg

• Contrary to what most people think, Brits used to have roast goose and not turkey for Christmas dinner - it's only recently people have started copying the Americans. Not quite sure why, goose (or duck) tastes far nicer.

ukgamefair.files.wordpress.com/.../roast-goose.jpg

Well turkeys are a native American species after all. In Britain there were pheasants for the rich and I guess goose for the average people.
      But I agree, goose and duck taste better.

@Rainie_ Yeah good point, pheasants for the rich. They often had 3 birds stuffed into one - might actually do this for this year 😌

awwweeee... that looks delicious. i would go for goose, duck over turkey. Thanks for sharing

• 1|1

these are eaten on a reg. basis no?
      anyting differet for holidays or weddings?

some people eat some of these foods ona regular basis

• Sourdough pancakes, because it brings me back to the pioneer days when this was the staple food of people traveling on horseback. The horse kept the sourdough warm in the saddlebags while traveling.

do you make that? where can buy it?

Health food stores have the yeast to start the dough. The rest is up to you and the horse.

• Mussels and french fries are very traditional here. So is beef stew with french fries.
    I don't like mussels but I like the french fries

I'll take the mussels and you can eat the fires :P.

i can eat a whole bowl myself

@Kantana Belgium

@jacquesvol I love french fries I could get used to eating them with everything haha. My country US just serves them with burgers, fried fish, sandwiches, and even with chili and cheese on top.

• We do turkey on Thankgiving. At first, I thought this would be like a "traditional cultural" type question... Like Scottish people and Haggis.

We did switch it up for about 3 years with my sister doing badly prepared Cornish game hens, but went back to turkey after that. We do ham on Christmas... But not much past those.

I used to get dragged to Burns Night dinners and was forced into eating more haggis than any kid should have to eat, but otherwise not much traditional holiday food other than Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've done a few Passover Seder dinners for a few years, even though I'm not personally Jewish, which could I guess be considered a traditional holiday dinner type thing.

"traditional cultural" type question... Like Scottish people and Haggis.

yeah. would love to know about the Scottish traditional foods...

Luckily not all of it is disgusting... But Haggis is. I've been part of several Presbyterian churches, and many of those are based in that culture... Some more than others... I've been to Scotland once, but as a kid growing up, again, I had to endure Haggis every Burns dinner (Robert Burns was a famous Scottish poet- basically we celebrate his poetry and Scottish stuff.

there's Tatties - just mashed potatoes
      Neeps - mashed turnips - meh.
      Crannachan - a dessert with whiskey, whipped cream, berries and oatmeal- it's ok, not a huge fan

Now we generally have this once a year at the end of January. One of those things for me to kind of do it and get it over with. I never really got into it. Just some dorky thing old Scottish people (or people with that heritage) like to do. I always found most of it pretty corny, but some of the food was ok... Just not the neeps, haggis or whiskey.

• I eat fried chicken to celebrate Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
    I eat barbecue to celebrate Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday! :)

Thats a lot of fried chicken and BBQ...
      For Thanksgiving too? :P

No. Turkey at Thanksgiving, ham for New Year's Day and Easter, and either turkey or ham for Christmas.

• I eat the Traditional Thanksgiving Day meal
    Turkey , Stuffing, Mash Potatoes , Gravy
    For Christmas it's Ham and Scallop potatoes

• It is goose on Christmas, but can also be other things such as rabbit and deer

• 1|0
  • Candy on Halloween. :)

• I am an Indian. In India we eat mangoes , grapes , pineapples , oranges , apples , papayas , pomegranates , watermelon. Many more fruits like straw berries and other exotic varieties are available on a smaller scale.

I LOVE mangoes. I used to live in the Caribbean and I would always wait for mango season.
      My favourite type is the East Indian mango because they are very fleshy and huge.

Had fresh coconut juice off the beach everyday in Brazil, and the young coconut flesh... love it
      I know where to get that in a NY neighborhood!!!

Come to Goa (India) and enjoy sea food. Goa is a land of fun and music. People in Goa are very calm and cool. they are naturally happy and well contented people.

• Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. I live in the US.

• Same deal here (Canada) Though I prefer ham for holiday meals

• Pasta... I love pasta, traditional italian food... stolen from those waskally wabbit Chinese

• 1|0
  • In Portugal, Christmas eve we eat codfish

• 0|0
  • Fairy bread (search it!) sausages in bread with sauce, kangaroo, emu, you know. 'Strayan stuff.

• Goulash soup is great

• Hagis!

• 0|0
  • Cheeseburger (it's American, not German.)

Ice cream.

Turkey

• we eat fries

• A vegetarian Brit. Rules out everything for me :D

• I'm from the US. I eat at McDonald's several times a year.

• Tamales and Mexican food.

• Stuffed grape leaves

• mahsi and molokhya:D

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 37

• This is the funny thing about traditions. I have no idea what would constitute a traditional food in my country (Canada) as we are a mixture of cultures. We too have Turkey with all the fixings on Thanksgiving, and family comes together to celebrate. Now we celebrate our Thanksgiving in October so that is a bit different. Thanksgiving is not as huge in Canada as it is in the States though. For Thanksgiving dessert we usually have pie.

When I say fixings, that usually constitutes gravy, mashed potatoes, some type of vegetable, turnip (YUM!), cranberry sauce (double yum!) and coleslaw. And of course we can't forget the stuffing!

We also have Turkey, or Ham on Christmas. For dessert we may have pie or some other dessert.

Some people eat deer, or fish if they are hunters (not for special occasions, but just in general). I've never had deer, but I Love eating fish! I usually eat Haddock or Salmon. There is usually fresh Perch caught near where I live so I will eat that too.

Other traditional foods would be Beavertails (no not literal beavertails) More like a pancake type dessert. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeaverTails

Kd (Kraft Dinner) (Also known as Kraft Macaroni and Cheese) is another thing that is considered Canadian so I have heard. I myself love the stuff! Even the art of preparing this stuff (which comes with directions, is an art upon the person cooking the KD themselves). Everyone I have talked to has their own method. I don't know anyone who reads and follows the directions. It's like all Canadians are born knowing how to prepare this stuff.

• 1|0
  • In Sweden (or most of Scandinavia) during the 13th of December on the St Lucia holiday we make and eat these super tasty buns called "Saffransbullar/Lussebullar" (Saffron Buns). They're quite interesting because they have quite a intense yellow colour to it, sometimes freckles of orange in it as well. The small black spots are raisins. As tasty as they are, we only eat them in December along with gingerbread and glögg (nordic mulled wine).
    http://winendine.se/wp-content/uploads/00718.jpg
    Can't wait, only a few months to go until its time again :D

• Num Banh Chok (Cambodian fish noodle soup)
    asian-wonders.com/.../7749606252_92e68392a2_o.jpg

It's eaten through any holiday as its one of the most popular cuisines in Cambodia. Eaten with a handful of veggies and chillies, you eat the yellowish-green broth with thin rice noodles

the veges look delicious... is that yard long string bean?

Yeah long string beans ☺️ Gives it some texture. The veggies are eaten raw and you could sprinkle some crushed roasted peanuts on the top (but that's optional)

• In the U. K, for Christmas we have turkey, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots (or other veg), stuffing (a baked mix of bread crumbs, onion, sage made into balls), gravy.
    For pudding, we have a thing called Christmas pudding which is a steamed (EXTREMELY stodgy) ball of dense sponge with dried fruit in it. We then pour brandy on it and set light to it :D
    We also have a thing called Christmas cake which is consumed around Christmas time. A fruit cake wrapped in marzipan and icing.
    Mince pies :D
    Bubble & Squeak - eaten on boxing day. Basically all the leftovers mixed together and then lightly fried.

• During festivals like Diwali, these common dishes are prepared all over India. There are many regional variations of it though.
    Laddoo (sweet)
    http://pradeepsweets.com/image/site/Ladoo.jpg

Kheer/Payasam (sweet)

www.milkmaid.in/Images/Recipe/77-Rice%20Kheer.jpg

Festive Special rice (biriyani, pulao etc) This one is saffron rice, my favourite.

steamykitchen.com/.../saffron-rice.jpg

Puri (deep friend bread)
    http://lifeofguru.com/Images/poori.JPG

And yes, the omnipresent curry lol.

• Pho, ka poon, chicken stir fry, rice

what about special holiday dishes? and for what holiday?

special holidays for Hmong people usually include new years, birthdays and marriages

Thank you for sharing

• Well I'm a halfie. Dad's from England, mum's from here. So on holidays we usually eat a lot of standard "American" food but my mum'll make a couple of British dishes, usually deserts, especially if my grandpa comes to visit. My favorite Christmas dish is pavlova, which is a British thing.

• Umm, I like pancakes & stroop wafels I guess

• I live in the U. K and it's traditional for a lot of people to eat fish & chips on a Good Friday, on an Easter weekend holiday... even those who aren't religious

http://imgur.com/a/u9U4E

• Traditional holiday foods:

foodnetwork.sndimg.com/.../...nd.sniipadlarge.jpeg
    Matzo Ball Soup, if you haven't had this you're missing out BIG TIME

www.jewishjournal.com/.../...21514_539_332_c1.jpeg
    Latkes (potato pancakes served at Hanukkah)

www.jewishsupply.com/.../...20-ff0404schooa091.jpg
    Challah Bread (best bread ever)

Those are my favorites, but there's a ton more.

Omg that is my favourite bread so is brioche pastry. I've made challah bread before in high school

@rgb008 - I make very good matzo ball soup :)
      my mother in laws initial is rgb :P

@Ahrixxa my daughter loves challah bread...

i am chinese ex. American jewish
      i think i will make matzo ball soup once i get better.

• In Montenegro we have lots of traditional food for various holidays (New Year, Christmas, Easter etc). My favorite traditional foods are: Rumetinov (Corn bread), Gibanica sa kiśelim mlijekom (pastry filled with salty cheese and buttermilk) and Ječmena kaša sa pečurkama (Barley porridge with mushrooms), Kuvana Krtola sa jogurtom (boiled potato halves with yogurt) and Japraci (stuffed collard greens), Paštrovski makaruli (macaroni with olive oil and cheese from brine), Pinđur (type of vegetable relish), Priganice (Montenegrin type of doughnuts), and Źevanica (type of pie with various fillings).

• Blanquette de veau, cassoulet, foie gras, canard à l'orange (orange duck), turkey with marrons, raclette, fondue, etc...

sounds like a feast. orange duck yummmm

It's so good and it's all common dishes that we eat everyday not for a special occasions except for the turkey :)
      Yes orange duck is really tasty ^-^

• I didn't like it as a kid but I've actually grown to like Sauerkraut on occasion

• fried chicken, cheeseburgers. very American. when don't you eat it? it's at every reastraunt, every party, every cook out, every venue..

• in Kenya we eat chicken with Chapati and other accompaniments. but my tribe's traditional food is called Muthokoi..

• I am a mix of:-
    Chinese: Siomai
    Hispanic: Churros
    Filipino: Lumpia

Nah girl I don't eat churros, that's in Central America

@Jeniferh21 - Churros are from Spain girl. LOL, trust me.. I know food and history

Oh shit 😂 I though Mexicans eat loads of churros haha my bad then

• Im American and my family eats duck, seafood, and ham, and mexican food

• Gee, where do I start? Well, the Muslims in Indonesia eat these rice cakes called "ketupat" (rice that's cooked into a big, dense cube and then sliced into pieces and is then eaten with some sort of curry). They eat it during eid-al fitri, which is after the fasting Period is over. I, however, am not part of this tradition...

• mangu con salami, every single motherfucking day of my god dang life, it's good tho 😂

thats like eating bread every meal/day for some countries
      and rice for other countries

• Fondue just as a normal dinner haha

• Couscous , usually on Friday

• We eat "Satsivi" and "Gozinaki" on New Year.

• chotpoti

• I love poutine baby!! 😍 💋

• おせち料理
    for new years

• Burgers

• Pizza rolls.

• Fried plantain banana

• I'm the worst Australian. Aussies love meat and I'm a vegetarian. I do love lamingtons though.

• More from Girls
    7