Would you report a homeless person if you saw them taking leftover food off customers plates?

If you saw a homeless person walk into a restaurant and walk over to tables before the food was cleared and take the food - would you report them?

Most Helpful Guy

• No why would I? The food was made to be eaten, and has been paid for, the people who paid for it didn't want it, so why not let him have it, the alternative is a hungry homeless person and some wasted food.

Most Helpful Girl

• Silence is Golden.
    On top of Not Caring to be Sharing this Kind of Info with the Restaurant here, dear, they only Throw out Any food from the Kitchen that has been Unused at the End of the day, because of Health Regulations, So... What is the big Deal with a Meal that is Left on the Table at their Finger tips?
    Aside from their "No Table Manners," I always Look the other Way, unless Someone is getting Hassled or Murdered that Day.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

What Guys Said 15

• Yeah I would. I've seen this happen in cheap fast food places like MacDonalds where a bum comes in and eats the leftover fries. In a cheap food establishment like that, nobody's going to care since such places are sure to draw in penny pinchers.

However, if it's a sit-down restaurant or a fine dining establishment, most customers are going to be disgusted. Both by the practice of eating a stranger's leftover food, and by the very nature that a homeless bum is entering a private establishment, not paying for anything, and tarnishing the image of the restaurant.

Sure the guy is poor and homeless. But that's often the end result that we see. People rarely see that person's lifelong history of stupid decisions that got them there in the first place. Particularly in a 1st world country like the US, it is impossible to land yourself in a poor and homeless situation unless you have a debilitating ailment, disability or injury, or you're just a terrible lazy person. I've seen people from 3rd world countries rise from the very bottom of the ladder and accomplish more than some of America's lazy homeless. I expect more from people in America who are given 100x the opportunity to those in poorer countries.

Had to comment because this is absolutely the least helpful opinion.

• No I'd instead just buy them some food of their own so they didn't have to do that.

Besides you'd have to be pretty cold to do that, they're just trying to survive.

• Hell no! That would be fucked up! The person obviously wasn't hungry enough to finish it or didn't get a to-go box for what was left. If you leave food on your plate while claiming to be "full" and leave that plate on the table it's up for the taking.

• I would give the nod to go around the back and give them a doggy bag.

• Wtf would you even say?
    "Oh hey Manager some homeless guy just stole some food that you yourself were gonna throw away"

• TBH I would be an idiot and think they were a worker

• Why? The food would just go in the trash anyway...

• No, anyone who would is a person who actually deserves to be homeless

• That food is going in the trash anyways. Better to see it get eaten than wasted

• Aside moral aspects, I wouldn't know how you could report things which are other people's business?

• No. I would prefer they take food than money. The way things are nowadays, you can never be too sure who's really in need and who isn't.

• would you prevent the cure to cancer getting out because you knew that if it did, it would cost companies billions

• No, not necessary.
    Also, would you like to help me on my question?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2130345-how-would-you-rate-her-body-shape-do-you-think-it-is-ideal

• No I'll leery them be. They are going through a lot by being homeless. On top of letting them be I'd buy them food and give like 20.

• wth kind of question is this?

What Girls Said 25

• I would tell him not to do that in a place where people pay money to eat. Because people don't pay money to see homeless people take things away. But I wouldn't report him unless he was an asshole about it.

• If the people are otherwise done their food, no, I wouldn't report it honestly, but I would go up to them and just offer to buy them a meal if they need it that desperately.

• No. What kind of careless, cold asshole would report that?

• I would never do that. I can't imagine other things they must be going through with being homeless. Let them have it. The world wastes a ton of food everyday.

• You don't kick someone while they're down. I'd buy them a meal

• Nah, I'd turn a blind eye.

• No, I would not. I have been homeless before and I know what it's like. If anything I would buy the person a meal.

• no..

• Like, what kind of asshole would do that?

• I would probably buy them a meal honestly.

• I'd buy them food.

• No, but instead I'd offer to buy them a meal myself.

• Nope. Left over food as long as it hasn't been ruined shouldn't go to waste anyways

• No! Those poor people already have it bad out there in the street and it's not like they're eating off the peoples' plates while they're eating! The plates were paid for so it honestly doesn't matter.

• no I don't think I could do that, even though I believe steeling is wrong...

• Short answer NO.

• No, if it's going to waste why should I?

• Report them for what? People love to report others for some nonsense reasons these days I swear.

• Of course not, wtf am I? Satan?

• Hell nah, that would be insane. I would also give them money. I have a heart!!

• Honestly? Never!

• No, would be a shitty poor excuse of a human-being if I did that.

• I'd tell the person to not eat it and I'd buy him/her a nice meal

• No. The food has already been paid for and its just gonna go into the trash anyways.

• Reporting them would be very wicked. Just buy them a plate of food.