Since when did you start liking vegetables? And Why?

Always confuses me. When we were younger, didn't we all hate being forced to eat that horrible misery? Broccoli, Colliflowers, Parsnips, Avocados, boiled Potatoes, Beetroots, Zucchini, Olives... Really horrible stuff.

Then, you move house when you're 24, and suddenly all your new acquaintences are eating frikking Raddishes!!! Celery, Brocolli, Parsnips, Olives, the lot!

WTF happened there?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was bought up on fruit and veg from the very beginning. My dad was pretty set on making his kids eat their veg so he would never buy baby food, he would make a family meal i. e. roast beef, potatoes and broccoli (or something similar), blend it up and that would be the baby food.

As we progressed to be older, it would slowly become solid food until we were eating exactly what my mum and dad were eating. We never ate that kind of food you get from the freezer and put straight in the oven. It was all home-made. And we had to eat our veg before we left the table

Most Helpful Guy

• Getting to eat them cooked lightly rather than over cooked made all the difference to me. the same thing happened to me with fish. Crisp fresh salad vegetables with a vinaigrette instead of sweet gunge as a dressing was another moment of truth for me.

What Girls Said 16

• I was always the odd kid out and liked vegetables. I actually didn't like your typical kid food, like chicken nuggets, plain hamburgers with nothing on them, cheese pizza, etc. I've always liked lots of vegetables on my sandwiches, pizzas, tacos, etc. I remember thinking the people at Taco Bell were nuts when they asked if I wanted lettuce on my tacos, because I always thought "Who wouldn't?" Apparently, most kids either only order nothing but meat or meat and cheese in theirs.

• Our tastebuds change every so often as we get older! I started liking zucchini mushrooms and broccoli when I was 21. And gradually I started liking other veggies! Maybe it's our bodies telling us that we need good nutrition and a balanced diet as we get older 😂

Thats a very interesting theory! Maybe, though I wonder if the body can anticipate modern 'unhealthy' foods? Seems your tastebuds are doing you a good service... Odd how guys always like beer though isn't it?

• I always like Cauliflower & Brocoli, Olives, and some other vegetables, I believe are really more of an acquired taste.

• Part of diet from my background. We grew our own, cooked with flavor. All yummy, fresh and delicious.

I came here, stuff were canned, over cooked, blend. I understnad why you wouldn't like it. I got turned off by "American" food.

New acquaintences? Who are you talking about?

• I've always liked vegetables. A friend of mine said it has something to do with blood type, but I'm not sure how scientifically accurate that is.

I would be interested to hear more from your friend! 'O-types more intolerant to vegetables' would be a progressive finding (and excuse :p)

I'll try to find what she showed me. :)

• Still hate most vegetables

• I never did

• Your palette matures as you get older, so you like a range of different acquired tastes. But I've personally always liked vegetables.

• I've always loved veggies. I guess I'm weird.

• You become more self-aware about health and things your body needs to thrive as you age.

• when I realized I was not in the shape I wanted to be XD because I wanted to be taller and in healthier shape

• When I learnt how to cook them. So around a couple of years ago. I still ate them before I just didn't like them. But give me decently cooked veggies and I'm going to chose that over junk.

• I've always liked cauliflower

• When I noticed the high obesity rate in America and the damaging effects it have on you.

• one time i got myself off with a cucumber and ever since then i like it

You're looking to get 'most helpful opinion' aren't you XD to be continued (call me :p)

And the woman of my dreams is anonymous and thus uncontactable? (Thinks about how life works)... Yeah, that seems about right XD

Hahaha you're cute

• I started "liking" them when I was 5 because my mother's boyfriend would not give me anything else to eat unless I ate them
    I lasted a day and a half only drinking chocolate milk until I ate them all cold and cried while doing it
    they're an acquired taste now I guess

What Guys Said 8

• For me a big part of my tastes evolving happened as I started to reduce the amount of sweet foods I was eating and drinking. When I moved away from that, I started tasting things in vegetables I never tasted before and really liked.

Interesting! I wonder how you managed to swap though? Cos if you have some sweet/salty food and some fruit/vegetables, its very easy to go back to the tasty/nice texture stuff...

Consuming sweet stuff with every meal (that includes a sweet drink) seems to make already bitter foods taste even more bitter. That bitter taste overrides all of the subtle flavors going on. Ditching the sweet allows the full flavor to come through.

And in regards to salt.. ditching the sweet also helped there. I rarely add salt these days as the sweet made me crave saltier food. On the flip side, going out for fast food kind of sucks now as it is all way too salty.

• I wasn't too bad as a kid - I liked most vegetables and nearly like all now as an adult

• Probably when I was out on my own. I got more interested in health and fitness and trying new foods when I got away from my parents. My parents are morbidly obese, and I'm winning that batlle, going from 300 to 210lbs from eating good things and exercising.

And I still have pizza and beer.

Congratulations! Have lost 90 Pounds so far, against the family trend? And can still drink beer? 'This man is my god' - Joey Tribbiani

I can have anything i want in moderation. One beer isn't going to ruin you. It's weekend long benders that I had to give up. 90% of the time I'm eating a salad with my meat and veggies.

• Start? Lol

• I never hated vegetables

Must be vegenetic, I've always found them very jettable

• Since health became a priority

• It's called conditioning

• Used to go straight to canned veggies as a kid when grocery shopping with my mother.