Should I make a dessert this Thanksgiving, or buy a store-bought one?

Were planning on having Thanksgiving this weekend because my stepmom has to work a 7 day strech from Next Tuesday on. Plus my nephew is due anytime now. Would it be better to make a dessert or buy a store bought one?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you have time, make one. It's way more fun

What Girls Said 20

• Well homemade always tastes or at least seems to be better. Especially if you've got a family recipe for something. Given your situation it doesn't have to be a complicated recipe. Though if you're quite busy yourself it might be much easier to buy store bought.

• Make one! Something quick like this:

INGREDIENTS

4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 recipe Basic Pie Crust, rolled and fit into a 9-inch pie plate
    1 cup pecans

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in lowest position. In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes (or melt chocolate in microwave). Set aside.
    In a medium bowl, stir together (do not whisk) eggs, corn syrup, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Stirring constantly, gradually add melted chocolate. Pour filling into prepared crust; place pie plate on a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange pecans in one even layer over filling.
    Bake just until set (filling should jiggle slightly when pie plate is tapped), 50 to 60 minutes, rotating halfway through. Let cool completely on a wire rack, at least 4 hours (or up to overnight) before serving.

• Wow, I like that you're thinking of whipping up your own Thanksgiving ideas! (Really, no sarcasm intended XD)

So here's the deal. Do you have the cooking skills? Check. Do you have the equipment? Check. Have you done relevant research? Check. Then you are definitely giving all your thanks this year with a home made, delicious dessert.
    But if you've answered no to most of the requirements, don't worry, you're going to: 1. Make a huge mess in the kitchen 2. Dessert probably won't taste like dessert anymore 3. Feel like a horrible patisserie in the making

That's all I can say to your dessert making endeavors,
    BUT WAIT,
    did I forget to tell you that if you did try to make your dessert, you'll need to experiment a lot, because you'll get the magic of getting different results every time? That once you have succeeded in making the dessert you want, it might probably blaze a possible trail of passion in baking/ cooking? That Thanksgiving this year would be so different because you've amazed your family with that effort, time and love all in that one dessert? Money can't buy self satisfaction you know.

I've probably exaggerated a lot in my opinion, haha, but we want the best and worst case scenarios <3 But that's my personal experience when I first started baking ( I assume you've cooked/ baked before but a little humor won't kill it) If you've done enough research, I don't think you''d blow your budget & there's so many baking hacks out there.

And if worse comes to worse, you can always pick up some ice cream and waffles for dessert, at a drive through.

All the best sir!

• If you have the time I'd make something but I love cooking.
    There are heaps of easy things, what kind of dessert do you like?

• Make cheesecake. Cheesecake is the best.

• Make something :) something simple but delicious.

• Do you have time to make one? If so, go for it.

• Pumpkin pie is really easy to make, that said lots of stores for some reason make pretty decent apple pies

• Buy one :)
    That's what I would do in your place. There are so many dessert options at the store, plus you get save a lot of time and effort, haha.

• Make one.

• Making it might be more fun

• homemade

• if you have time, go make one
    making it is more fun
    plus, the taste almost always comes out better

• Make it!! Desserts are fun to make home made

• If you know how to make the dessert, make one. If you're not the best at cooking, buy something.

• Both! Store is backup/extra!

• Home-made is always better, even if it is something simple like buckeyes or chocolate chip cookies.

• Make!

• Buy a cake! With lots of cream 😋😍
    @triss don't you agree?

• make a pie

What Guys Said 4

• You should make one, cooking and baking are great skills to have and it never hurts to practice. This Thanksgiving I'm gonna be perfecting a cheesecake recipe that's been in my family as I convert the recipe to weights. Since bakers are supposed to measure everything in weight.

• 24d

Dang I want your cheesecake~, I think it'll be a great change if I'm not the one cooking or baking for once XD

• I am one of those people who likes the effort of a home made dessert if it is convenient.

• Nah don't bother.

• Buy some waffles and ice cream to make some ice cream waffles, I'm sure you will like it.