I just found out that in Canada Milk usually comes in Bags, how do you drink or pour that?

I've been to Canada Twice I can Remember and a couple of times when I was a Baby but I never went to a grocery store to buy milk.
Like how do you pour this. Why do you package it in Bags, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Okay, so here's the scoop. To pour the milk out of the bag, you cut one of the corners off. That hole acts as a spout. You put your bag of milk into a special milk pitcher so it doesn't spill and you don't have to take the bag out to pour it (unless you are getting low and then the bag might bend.

Here's what this whole thing looks like: junkdrawer67.files.wordpress.com/.../milk-bag.jpg

Milk jugs used to be more popular back in the day, but then they moved to bags. Honestly, I don't really remember how or when bagged milk started. Probably before my time. But it's the same price for a 4L bag of milk than it is for a 2L carton of milk. So more cost efficient to buy the 4L bag if you drink a lot.

• 12d

I think the bags are easier to stack (more cost efficient) and transport vs the milk jugs. Canada is a bigger country than the States with less people. Making transportation a huge problem when it comes to food. So I can see why bags are more popular here.

• 10d

Thanks! :)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 19

• When I was in elementary school, the milk came in a bag. You had a straw, and you poked a hole in it and drank. It tasted much better than the paper carton bc it never got soggy and thus absorbed that cardboard taste. However, with our conventional plastic jugs, you don't get that taste. So, I wonder why it's in bags. Either way :) I actually like the small individual bags. I guess with the big bag, you would either pour it into a pitcher at home or sit the bag in a pitcher. I think their system would be slightly more environmentally friendly than the US way.

• I believe milk is sold in bags only in Ontario and Quebec. It's also sold in cartons which is how I buy it, since only my husband drinks it. The rest of the country buys their milk in large plastic jugs or bottles, or in various carton sizes.

Bagged milk is easy to pour. You get a special container that holds one bag, and then you cut the corner of the bag off and pour.

• It goes into a milk jug, you snip the ends, and pour.

• It pours easily. They just cut the tip and pour.

• They come in bags and cartons. Whichever you prefer. for the bags you put them in a juice like jug and cut the corner to pour it

• Only in some regions, and even so it's not the only way it comes. You can usually buy plastic jugs, cartons or bags in the places that sell it in bags. But I'm pretty sure plastic jugs and cartons are the most common.

• 13d

As for how to pour it - you put it in a container that is specifically designed for milk bags and snip the corner.

• We put the bags of milk in jugs and pour it in lol

• What kind of bags?
    We used to have milk in some sort "plastic bag" but not the regular plastics. It was thick and mint color

• Most of it comes in cartons like everywhere else. For the bagged milk they have special jugs the bag fits in.

• Yea, that's the way it is in India too. We have milk packets. And then we just pour it into a pot and boil it.

• It's pretty easy tbh

• Wtf, does it really? That's freaking weird.

• In Mexico they have milk in a bag and I JUST asked my mom and she told me that its cheaper to put it in a bag. When I go to Mexico you usually put it in a pitcher and snip one of the corners and pour.

• You cut the edge of the side of the bag on the top.

• Canada seems like a mystery place. The money is made out of plastic and milk comes in bags.

• I don't know the only time I had milk in a bag was when I was in kindergarten.

• They purchase it in bags and put it in containers at home. At least, that's what my family does.

• We don't... I've never seen milk in a bag and I've lived in Canada my whole life.

• 13d

huh, Wikipedia says that its popular in eastern Canada

• 13d

Oh, I live in southern Canada so maybe it's just not here.

• 0|1

What Guys Said 9

• 1|2
  • I remember when my relatives bought bags of milk. You cut a whole in the "spout" and place it in a plastic container. Then while you pour, you hold the other end of the spout. To some people, it seems too much. But to others, it's not. It's a matter of keeping clean.

• 13d

This happened (and I think still happens) in the United States. They still sell milk bags in the US.

• We have bags here in Wisconsin. You put them in special milk jugs that holds the the bag and cut the tip of the bag.

• Same as a carton basically (and it comes in those also). You just cut the corner of the bag and pour.

• Flashback to middle school if there were such a thing in the US..."Bro, don't hit my milkbags!" lolol

• Is it still refrigerated? I know in Europe milk is most often bought not cold

• Uhh it looks shit.. because its pour and seems synthetic.

• You put it up your ass mate.

Joking you pour it out of like jug

• Yes milk comes out bags. We call these boobs/udders.