Would you eat meat grown in a laboratory?

Photo Credit: David Parry/Press Association, via European Pressphoto Agency

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/science/a-lab-grown-burger-gets-a-taste-test.html

• Yes
    27%(10)29%(18)Vote31%(8)
  • No
    51%(19)54%(34)Vote58%(15)
  • Maybe
    22%(8)17%(11)Vote11%(3)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• This is the stuff they supposedly eat on Star Trek, right? I mean, I really see no downsides. Once you master it, it should taste the same if not better because instead of getting positive traits by chance, you have it perfectly controlled in a laboratory. You can have whatever marbling you want, whatever fat to protein ratio you want, and whatever protein structure you want. On top of that, it'll be completely humane and far, far more sustainable than anything farmed (and infinitely more sustainable than anything wild-caught). I saw someone ask about health and safety concerns, but what concerns would you be talking about when you're creating meat that isn't exposed to animal feces or pathogens?

• I don't know about Star Trek. Haha. I have never watched an episode in my life.
      I agree with everything you said. I really do not see any downside to it. Those who are concerned about the health and safety likely have not really thought of how unsafe meat production and processing is.

• lol Survival Food which in a crisis, I would eat anything then. xx

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as the nutritional value, safety and taste is on par absolutely! I really struggle ethically with meat so this would be amazing

What Guys Said 12

• Definitely not.

Meat already tastes wrong if it's factory farmed, it's completely lacking in flavour versus free range.

God only knows what laboratory meat would taste like, but I'm certain it would taste nothing like how meat is meant to taste.

• I feel that the taste may be the only downside. I would definitely give it a try, though.

• If it ends up tasting just as good and is proven to ne safe, then sure.

• Might be OK if the process eliminates or reduces the horrifying amount of climate changing methane put out by farm animals. It would have to be a fairly pure product with zero additives or preservatives. essentially equivalent to organic meat.

• Actually no. I believe they can meddle too much with the nutrients in the meat that way so they can sell you shitty meat with little to no nutrients inside which is basically thrown away money.

• No cause i be too afraid but who knows what kind of meat
    were getting when we buy ground meat from the store.

• yeah why not.

• -Y E S-

• hell no

• The GMO bullshit is too much already, I would never eat that either, not to mention this

• gmos are fine. please educate yourself on the matter.

• i know about the effects they had on the rats but i was talking about how those gmos were prepared. as i said you need to do research.

• @dudeman that is a bullshit excuse of course. don't believe everything you read

• Probably not, just for health and safety reasons.

• I am pure vegetarian so NO

• Oh hell no, I wouldn't.

What Girls Said 13

• I'd need to know what they're doing, what's being put into it, the nutritional value, etc.

With that and if there are proper tests to see how it may affect people long term. Assuming it was positive, I'd try it all.

I'd wait at least 18 months to ensure nothing went wrong with it before eating it.

• No, I do not eat meat or fish.
    My body lacks the proper enzymes to properly break down and digest meat and fish so whenever I used to eat it I would get really bad stomach pain. I gave it up and became vegetarian nearly 4 years ago. Even eating scrambled eggs gives me an upset stomach but I can't completely avoid it as I need protein.
    I get my protein from almonds, avocado, quinoa, and occasionally eggs (even though it occasionally gives me stomach problems).

• We already eat so many processed and MGO products already and I feel fine from it. As long as they're testing the meat for disease and can prove it's healthy to consume, I don't see why that would be a problem.

I would take a heart transplant with a heart grown in a laboratory, so why not eat meat grown in one too?

And broccoli was grown in a laboratory and people hail that as a health food, so it's hypocritical to say one is healthy while the other isn't for a reason that applies to both.

• I agree with you. I was just curious what other people thought. I think it would be great for the environment. An option for people that do not want to go vegetarian, but care about the environment.

• That's a good point too. They'd have to do the math on that one to see if breeding cows or growing their meat would have a greater or lesser impact on the environment. And people who say they're vegetarians because they don't want to kill animals wouldn't have to kill animals anymore.

• I might Be a Bit Leery and Feary but Would have to be paid Well to Tell... If it is Best from the Rest. xx

• I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

• I would try anything once so, yes.

• No but I don't eat meat anyway, so...

• Preferably not but I'm curious to try it

• no ı wouldn't

• Not sure I would.

• Gross

• I eat anyone's meat

• It's better than eating an animal