Have you ever eaten an M. R. E?

Most Helpful Girl

• Back in middle or hs, some army reps came by and we got to try mres. I dont think they were that bad. All I really remember is the odd tasting hamburger patty.

• And its weird but I've been trying to make my own hardtack.

• @Izumiblu Oh.
      No. Its special text. Only the wise can see it; for everyone else it remains invisible.

Nah, its for just in case in the future, I ever get invited to some pretentious civil war-era themed dinner party, ill have something to bring.

• Planning for every last possible contingency... so Asian of you. And thanks for pointing out that im not wise.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ironically enough I have eaten both C-Rations (like the one you showed in the picture) and then the more modern equivalent the MRE (Meal Ready to Eat), I ate the C-ration before I was in the military, and then I ate MRE's on several occasions while I was in the Army. Honestly neither was all that bad. To this day I still don't understand what all the fuss is about with "Army" food, to be sure it may not be the finest cuisine you will ever eat, but I never found it to be objectionable, and there was always something for me to eat when I went to eat, I never went hungry or felt that I was being made to eat bad food.

• This was what I was looking for. I have never served nor eaten an MRE (just the general term for B and C rations, FHE's etc..) But it's nice to get an answer from someone who actually has!

• Nice. I've watched hundreds of "MRE" reviews on YouTube so I am well versed, but that means nothing to actual experience :) I'm assuming you served before the flameless ration heaters?

• I actually was in when they started using them, and they work surprisingly well. Well enough that you don't want to touch them while they are activated, they literally get hot enough to boil water.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 6

• My Roomie did in the Service and even Now... These sort of Things, although Not chicky Wings, are Good... In a Disaster. xx

• Haha yeah I did. When we went to West Point my bro told us we needed to buy one (they have a grocery store on their campus that sells them). It was spaghetti, bread, cheese spread, pretzels, raisins, skittles, coffee, gum salt and pepper etc

It was different than the one you showed tho. The one we tried had a pouch thing that you filled with water and got scorching hit and then you'd put the food in it to heat/cook it. Really cool concept and it didn't taste horrrrible lol

• Yeah, that one was from 1964 lol. They use the flameless ration heaters now, the bag that you pour the water in :)

• Many. Some are pretty good.

• yeah
    when we did volcano evacuation we ate those 3 days straight
    breakfast lunch dinner
    surprisingly, not bad tasting

• No I haven't.

• Yes and love them :) :3

What Guys Said 13

• I think the fact that military food in general got the bad rap just because they serve soldiers who got stuck in the trenches for months.

Back in the olden days of military, the meals would be something compact, easy to carry and will not go bad. Some sort of grain and later on hard tack. Then you can add water salt and something then cook with your helmet. If you are stuck somewhere you hate and have to eat the same thing over and over then you will realize that almost anything is going to taste better.

That's why great commanders tend to grab at whatever new invention that would improve the food for their soldiers. Anything from sealed packaging to heating the food. Like Napoleon and his bottled soup. Heating packs and such.

Nowadays, we have nutritionist and vacuum seals so we can have decent meals that are lightweight, easy to carry, does not go bad easily and can be served hot.

• I have and I've got a few for emergencies In my truck if I get stuck somewhere in bad weather.
    But when I was in the army that's pretty much half of what you eat sometimes , there's some good ones and some pretty bad ones.
    My father had some stuff rations left over from post Vietnam when he was in the army.
    If it's still good the military doesn't get rid of it.
    Through history in the military our troops have had rations from previous wars.
    Our boys in Vietnam had rations from the Korea war , and our boys serving in the Korean war had rations from WWII , and so on...

• I never had one before.

• Yep. I actually love MRE's, but I can literally eat anything.

• I did when I was in Army ROTC back in high school. It was beef stew. I found it really cool how it was cooked in the heat pouch! 👍

• Yup pretty of times military rations the old ones are pretty nasty but the modern ones they use in the military now are actually pretty good and nutrional everything a soldier needs.

• nope but my parents say they suck.
    They onced called them
    "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"

• Many times. These things are a real lifesaver and you also put them inside your pockets to keep you warm for long. Good food quality too. Like the taste except the one containing sausage.

• Yes tastes ok

• Some can be real gross but wouldn't so bad during a apocalyptical situation

• Yep. I prefer calling them UFOs- unidentifiable food objects.

• Yep. Dad was in the Marines, he let me have MREs before. I liked them

• No. Apperently you can't shit from these.