Tipping services? Do you or don't you?

I do wonder why some services are tipped. They are paid to do the job why do they need more especially if it is mediocre at best. My salon just changed their computers so you have to tip a minimum of 15%. This is ridiculous for 30 minutes work at the most. My last haircut I couldn't tell she cut anything. I think it should be optional since they all charge a small fortune.
Restaurants too. Why do they need additional money? Ok if the service is great, but just slapping a plate in front of me is not good.

• always tip
    25%(2)38%(8)Vote46%(6)
  • only if the service was good enough
    50%(4)52%(11)Vote54%(7)
  • never tip
    25%(2)10%(2)Vote0%(0)

Most Helpful Guy

• Tipping should be optional, not mandatory, and it should be based on the level of service. The reason why tips are considered a good thing is because people who wait tables often earn the bare minimum and rely on tips to top up their wages. If restaurants paid a better basic wage then tips wouldn't be as necessary.

I tend to think that good service warrants a tip, because I'd hate to have to put up with the public all night whilst being on my feet all the time. People can be such assholes.

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted B, kinda. Tipping culture doesn't really exist in my country because people get decent wages here, waitresses/waiters etc don't actually live off of tips. Some places have tip jars but it's not mandatory to put any money in them. Tipping is seen as more of a traditional thing here, I don't know if any people my age actually tip unless they've been taught by their parents to tip. My parents sometimes leave a tip at a fancier restaurant if the service and food was really good. My dad is super strict about quality though and will complain about the smallest details, so naturally he only gives tips if he truly feels like it's deserved.
    Tipping is only usually reserved for fancier restaurants. I don't even think tipping is allowed in other places. My countries laws are very strict when it comes to "receiving donations" or "free money", which I think are categories tipping fall under.

• country's*
      And the only other place I ended up thinking about where tipping (might?) be allowed would be strip clubs. But I've never been to a strip club ahhaha so I don't know.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 7

• Servers has wages. Indeed. But. Those wages are ridiculously low it's not possible to survive without tips. I agree tips should be optional. I do not have a problem to give tip if I'm satisfied with service. But also already happened to me, that I went to the restaurant where I was regular, server were struggling to give me ashtray. I requested it 3 times and still nothing. Yes, my tip was zero. But if I'm satisfied with service, I have no problem to give 15-20%.

• In Brazil nobody gives tips, but places like restaurants already charge extra 10% and this 10% is the exactly the tip.

• In the U. S. (but not necessarily other countries), people that work for tips are generally paid ridiculously low wages because they are expected to make it up in tips. It's a way for places with low profit margins (like restaurants) to keep prices relatively low. Although, this is frequently abused.

I always tip between 15-20% for this reason and also because I'm not cheap.

• I always tip, but I hate the concept of tipping

• Tipping is sooo dumb. Many employers use it as an excuse to lessen wages.

• I tip 20% at restaurants. I'll tip less or not at all for poor service.

• 20%..

What Girls Said 3

• Some people require the tips as it's the only way they can make a decent living. I actually work at Sonic, which is different from most fast food places regarding tips. The carhops who bring the food out need tips, because we are paid less than everyone else inside. Rather than the minimum wage of 7.25-35 (depending on area), we earn $6 an hour. So ideally, our tips are meant to equal up to the minimum wage amount.

• I never got tipping.. In Europe we only tip at restaurants, when the service was good and the food tastes nice. And even then, it's often a convenience thing.. say you have to pay 82,75 euros, we'll say "make it 90".

• im Australian and don't believe in tipping but its becoming more common here