Do you believe that is a myth that caffeine is addictive or keeps you awake?

I don't know why people say that, but in my case I have felt asleep just after some minutes drinking my coffee.

Also, I drink my coffee more like as a drink along with my food than drink it as it is. I never drink coffee alone.

So is it just your idea that is addictive or keeps you awake?

• Yes
    67%(4)42%(5)Vote17%(1)
  • No
    33%(2)58%(7)Vote83%(5)
Asleep on my chair particularly. Figure out.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can drink coffee, oe soda right before I go to bed, doesn't effect me, doesn't wake me up if I'm tired. really has no effect on me

• You more than likely are affected by it, though if you aren't eating with it the effects aren't really as noticeable. Also a lot of it is placebo.

• true. it could also be that I have been drinking it sinse a very young age 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• The dude above me googled it haha, then told you a summary of the wiki page. Coffee is not a drug it is a stimulant. It works by speeding up your heart rate, bloodflow, and neutrient intake, which increases your brain's functioning abilities. Ergo, it could have a lesser effect based on your body since we are all different, or you could need to eat healthier/more food with it.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 4

• Nope, it's definitely not a myth. I'm not sure if it's addictive, technically, but it's definitely habit forming. There's no question about that. have you not seen people going through caffeine withdrawals? It's very real. And it can absolutely keep you awake. But different people react to it differently, so not everyone will be kept awake by it. Some people aren't affected by t much at all, but some people are very affected. it just depends on your sensitivity to it.

Personally, I'm very sensitive to it. Even drinking one cup of coffee early in the morning will sometimes keep me up all night.

• Not a myth. But it can affect different people different ways. If you are adhd caffeine can actually help you get to sleep, some people just aren't affected by it in the expected ways.

• It's not a myth but a fact.

• everything can be addictive. people are addicted to internet even if the internet doesn't make you take any chemicals in your body :D

for me, caffeine rarely makes me awake, since I'm used to it. there you have it, this is addiction I guess lol but I gotta have that cup of coffee when I get up

What Guys Said 4

• Caffeine is a drug that keeps you awake and it is addictive. It was first produced in Ethiopia, and starts to know exactly how to make it in Yemen. They realised Coffee is useful in Ramadan so it begun to spread.

• Yeah, it keeps me up, it's a good boost in the morning when you sleep at 3am and have to be up at 8am

• Caffeine is a drug and is addictive. I had the withdrawal headaches to prove it...

• No, it's not a myth. It's been studied a lot and we know exactly how it works. It binds to adenosine receptors instead of the adenosine that would make you tired. Also it makes your brain produce more adrenaline, which also makes you feel more awake. Like with many drugs, your brain tries to fight it by making you more tired, so then when you don't take caffeine you feel very tired

Now you might just have high tolerance, one cup of coffee isn't always enough to feel it's effects, especially if you have it with food (food slows down absorption). Try drinking 4 redbulls at once and you should definitely feel it's effects :P