What's better, American or European food?

I was debating food with @reixun and she thinks food in the USA tastes much better than the European one (in general, I know it differs a lot from country to country).

Obviously I can't agree to this statement... but curious what people think on here so feel free to state your opinion. (Since most of you are from the US I have a feeling I know how this ends :P )

Not discussing food from other regions... so just choose one of these two :)

P. S.

Happy 18th birthday @reixun

• European
  • American

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• You guys might be confusing the innate palates of Americans and Europeans with food quality and complexity of the US and Europe.

America: Pro Beef, Sugar, Garlic, salt, hot spices, fatty. Anti: gamey foods, organ meats, sour foods.

Europe: Pro Lamb, organ meats, sour, bitter, "bland" (unfussy simple dishes), exotic spices, fermented and otherwise off putting foods (stinky cheese, strong fish etc) all of the dairy, foods in season. Anti: overly sweet foods, aggressively seasoned foods,

Things we have in common, gluten, chicken, pork, fat.

Most of the American cuisine is adaption of European classics. Which is fine but lets not kid ourselves into believing we've 'invented' anything truly unique.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 38

• HOWWW is this even a question like...
    infusinoskenosha.co/.../infusinosrecipes.jpeg
    When I was in the US the food there was just so fatty and sugary, like I take one bite and Im like "Im done", and the proportions are HUGE I never finish it.

Plus Europe has such a wide variety of food (lots of stuff thats mostly healthy and not over the top).
    Even Italian food made by italians in the US doesn't even taste the same because the food there that they use is often imported, while in Italy etc most of it is fresh.
    Not all European countries have amazing cuisine but those that do are WAYY up there.

• agree :P

Just did this to show her that probably most people think similar to me lmao

• Many Times, I wish I lived In... Europe.
    Have Passport and Do travel Here, dear.
    Thanks for the Kind Invite and Happy Birthday, @reixun xx

• BY EUROPEAN I MEAN COLORED EUROPEANS.. ITALIANS, GREEKS, SICILIANS, ETC!!!
    not teh pasty nordics!!!
    and americans dont have food! they are just culture vltures! tex mex.. all stolen from mexicans, indians, and other groups!

• I have to agree with this. Nordic food isn't so hot. Nor is the Eastern European stuff.

• The majority of people answering this question are biased. I'd take European food over American every time. It's way more versatile in my opinion. Also, Americans tend to mix sweet and salty a lot in my experience, and I'm really not a fan of this. I've only been to the states twice though, so I really didn't taste that much of their food.

• @JulieXO Am intrigued to know just how you consider us being bias.
      In reading your post, are you not doing precisely the very same thing?

• Isn't the big majority on this site from the US? Going by the current vote result it would show that they might not be as biased towards their own region as you think :p

• You could very well be right, it will certainly be very interesting in seeing the final outcome.

• I don't really know how to answer this question sobce "American" food is just a mish mash of food from all over the world. We have access to whatever kinds of foods we want here.
    And "European" food is such a broad term.
    French food is bleh, unless you're talking pastries.
    Italian food is amazing but you can get that here.
    I've heard that traditional food in the UK is horrifically gross and bland.
    Is food in Spain comparable to Mexican food? Because real Mexican food is amazing and we have that here as well. So I'd say any good food is good. And you can usually find good food all over the world.

• of course you can get all the food over there... same here. But even that is Americanized... it's adopted to match the American taste. Even with simple stuff like Pizzas... so that's something to consider too when choosing between the two.

• yeah the more classic Italian way... which goes in the direction you said. thin but juicy crust, tomato sauce, mozzarella and then 1-2 toppings max. Also classic stuff like pepperoni sausage. And then some spicy olive oil.

I think with these ones having a good pizzeria and eating them fresh (not long delivery) is more important because they get quicker dry or too crispy... easier to fuck up. With thicker crust and more toppings it stays longer juicy.

• Those kind are just alright for me. I like thick crust with lots of toppings!

• European! Tends to have less fat and grease 😊

• I just like food in general

• European, hands down. I went to an American restaurant and EVERYTHING on the menu was fat and greasy. Ended up ordering deep fried onion rings and some kind of cheesy toasts and then felt disgusted with myself afterwards. Didn't even taste good either.

• Without a doubt European food tastes far, far nicer, and has so much more flavouring to it.
    Plus it's normally prepared and cooked to order, making it far tastier than any fast food rubbish.

• European n I never had it.. but American is basically off brand of every good food

• Happy Birthdayyy!

I really think it depends from country to country. European food from Europe is quite authentic in flavour. Not to say the US isn't but the US also does a lot of fusion creations.

• Humm, I don't know since I've never tasted real American food, but it's something I'm willing to try.
    So for now, I guess I can say that European food is better, since is the only one I have tried.

• American. Europeans eat like snails and fish eggs and I'm not about that life lol

• Definitely European!

• European, but I can appreciate Amerian food too. Sorry @reixun :*

• European, especially southeastern European.

• European, definitely. Less fat, less salt etc.

• I've never had... either... LOL *hides face

• Are you kidding me? I have never been to the US, but even the Americans rip off Italian food, etc. It's cut clear which continent wins. Unless we count south america and the likes...

• Well in my opinion it's very clear as said in the question... It's Reixun who thinks that US food is far superior :p

• She's 18, you said? That should explain why she thinks like that...

• Sorry but going with my own, European!

And happy birthday sweety @reixun ❀❀

Take a pizza πŸ•πŸ•

• European of course πŸ’πŸ»πŸ’πŸ»

• Oh plaaseee
    Def european food✌

• American because kfc

• Probably European but sadly I've never had the chance to try it. ;(

• A-MER-I-CA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

and thank you haha

• both have their special qualities but i think italy beats all worlds food
    pizza and spaghetti were born there haha

• European, I don't like American food

• AMERICAN!!!

• unless we're talking Spanish food, i'll go with American because Chik-Fil-A

• More from Girls
    8

What Guys Said 21

• I think American food is more refined. Like in Europe, there is such a big focus on culture and doing things the same way that it limits their ability to improve. For example, so much of Europe has really, really shitty baked goods. Like they make breads and sweets that are almost unleavened, super dense, and hard as rocks. Then there's France which is purely amazing and I think it's no coincidence that the French culinary scene showcases the chef as opposed to the ingredient.

That's not to say that other European countries don't have innovation -- they do. I just don't think that innovation is built into their culture the way it is in the US. The restaurant that was named best restaurant in the world (a place in Italy) was actually highly criticized by the locals when it first opened because they complained that he wasn't doing things in ways that respected the traditions. In the US, there are no such limitations. You don't get chefs here who make a dish and who then get backlash saying "That's not how you make carbonara! That's not how you make yellow curry! etc.

So yes, there's great food in Europe but I think overall, the food in the US is better -- probably even a lot better.

• American food tends to be more heavy handed with the flavours and European food tends to be more... refined and simple.
    Both have their pros and cons. Right now? I prefer... the new wave American food.

• European. This isn't even a question.

• Well, it depends since "European" is a broad statement as there are many differnet cuisines here. For example, French food sucks in my opinion while Italian food is better. But I'll just go for European, the large food portions in the USA is too much for me.

• Food is very, very different from nation to nation. England's food is probably worse than America's, but French and Italian is probably ten times better.

So you can't really compare America with Europe as a whole.

• As an American I have to say European food is better. Here every food is full of sugar. Food that you wouldn't expect to have sugar in it does.

• How is this even a question πŸ˜‚? European food is the route of all American food and the lack of processed crap makes it supreme

• American food.

• half of all American food is stolen from Europe.

• American as for the USA, you should have put The Americas, it would be much more tough to decide between Latin American and European food.

• But that wasn't the discussion I had with Reixun. If I wanted to do something else I would have included many more

• I was just saying.

• American

• No clue, I like them both, as well as Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Canadian foods

• European, American food has too much fat

• American of course. Fattening yet tasty. @Jxpxtxr did hate my opinion. Wish she was over here to rant. Yeah I miss that girl.

• That girl is annoying. But obviously American food

• America is the queen of junk food, so it's kinda self explanatory.

• Murica

• Depends. I would have to sample all the food in a lot of different countries in Europe. Like 50

• European food of course. American food usually has a higher content of salt, sugar, and all kinds of "fake ingredients" (like the pink slime in hanburgers).

• I prefer European